daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM   #841
Jonas84

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Nice pics from E18 Your first pictures looks to be from a video... In that case, will you post that too?
There you go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2MXNnQ2Voo

Only first 13 km of the road though. Video starts one minute before we enter the new motorway.
Jonas84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #842
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 622

I think it's a combination between bigger projects and increased private competition. With bigger projects and longer stretches it allso becomes more interesting for huge international companies to bid.
The way we usually build roads in Norway with small streches each time is a extremely expensive way of doing things.
Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #843
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

The missing link on E6 from Oslo to Sweden has opened:

I drove it, and it was a delight, unfortunatly it's only 90km/h still... And 80km/h in E18-junction. The tunnel is very wide and bright, altough steep so there was some minor slowdown in trafic. Old E6 route has changed name to Rv156...
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #844
Jonas84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
The missing link on E6 from Oslo to Sweden has opened:

I drove it, and it was a delight, unfortunatly it's only 90km/h still... And 80km/h in E18-junction. The tunnel is very wide and bright, altough steep so there was some minor slowdown in trafic. Old E6 route has changed name to Rv156...
Yeah, finally motorway all the way from Oslo to Sweden.
Jonas84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #845
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

Statens Vegvesen (Norwegian Road Authorities) launces a new "spy-cam"-service on their webpage today. Now everyone can access some of their traffic-cams, but they will be updated with varying frequency...

Here's the page: http://www.vegvesen.no/Trafikkinform...nger/Webkamera

And here's one showing the construction of "Smaalenenes bru", a part of the new E18 motorway through Østfold: http://www.vegvesen.no/Trafikkinform...4453125&zoom=9

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #846
Ingenioren

No cams in Oslo? Lucky for me i can see the most important roads from the window, but it would be handy to know where the trafic is flowing and not sometimes
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #847
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Seems like the current service does not cover any cities at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansadyret View Post
I think it's a combination between bigger projects and increased private competition. With bigger projects and longer stretches it allso becomes more interesting for huge international companies to bid.
The way we usually build roads in Norway with small streches each time is a extremely expensive way of doing things.
Now for a second consequitive 4-year period a minority of the Norwegian people has decided that we should continue with the small projects, except some roads aroung Oslo and a few toll financed tunnels here and there, organized the good ol inefficient public road authority (Vegvesenet) way with local councils having the upper hand

(No, in the Norwegian election system the will of the majority of the people is not always reflected in the number of MPs, partly because the votes of the northernmost conties count more, and partly because bigger parties are somewhat favoured. In the national election on Monday the oposition in fact won by roughly 1.5 % /45 000 in terms of number of votes, but got fewer MPs than the ruling coalition. But at least we manage to count the votes without having to go to the courts as certain other countries...)
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #848
kossia
BANNED

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
A panorama from Tindevegen (not my own):
Norway is so beautiful! I want to visit it one day...
kossia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #849
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Seems like the current service does not cover any cities at all...

Now for a second consequitive 4-year period a minority of the Norwegian people has decided that we should continue with the small projects, except some roads aroung Oslo and a few toll financed tunnels here and there, organized the good ol inefficient public road authority (Vegvesenet) way with local councils having the upper hand

(No, in the Norwegian election system the will of the majority of the people is not always reflected in the number of MPs, partly because the votes of the northernmost conties count more, and partly because bigger parties are somewhat favoured. In the national election on Monday the oposition in fact won by roughly 1.5 % /45 000 in terms of number of votes, but got fewer MPs than the ruling coalition. But at least we manage to count the votes without having to go to the courts as certain other countries...)
This only proves that the Norwegian people is brainwashed, and will eventually accept just about everything you put out for them. This especially is the case with a lot older people, who grew up in the glory days of Ap, when there just wasn't any other parties socially acceptable to vote on. I don't think these people essentially even listen to what any of the parties say. The just vote as anothe everyday chore, like brushing their teeth or getting dressed in the morning.

...*Trying to find alibi for posting unnecessary political ranting in motorway-thread*...

Look, a motorway!!

---------------

------     -----

---------------

---------------

---     ------

---------------

Old September 17th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #850
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

it's fair to say Norway has the least impressive highways (in terms of design and quality) in the developed world, despite being one of the richest nations in the world. I don't get it.
mike7743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #851
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
it's fair to say Norway has the least impressive highways (in terms of design and quality) in the developed world, despite being one of the richest nations in the world. I don't get it.
I disagree. Norway's highway system might lack some motorways here and there, but the general quality is rather good. The newer highways and motorways have very high standard.
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #852
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Have you ever been outside Norway? If so, please give me a single (1) DEVELOPED country with worse highways than Norway. (That several developing countries I have visited have better road standard than Norway is another story).

I'll give you that a tiny fraction of the E6 and E18 highways now have acceptable standard, limited to the Halden-Gardermoen-Tønsberg triangle, otherwise even new roads and roads U/C or planned are mostly substandard (and unsafe / unefficient) compared with what they have already got long ago in most other developed countries.
[ot]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kossia View Post
Norway is so beautiful! I want to visit it one day...
To become more tempted, try the excellent pictorial threads of Þróndeimr in the Nordic section, starting with the main Þróndeimr Photolab.... (The most dramatic scenery is perhaps towards the end of the thread)

And when you go, stay away from the Polar bears, they don't always have a whale to feed on

(Seriously, there have not been polar bears on mainland Norway for ages, but the picture above was recently taken in the Svalbard / Spitsbergen achipelago where they still thrive until global warming melts the artic ice and their hunting pattern no longer is possible. Nobody should wander around up there without a gun, as the polar bears think humans are food.)
[/ot]

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; September 17th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #853
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
as the polar bears think humans are food.)
[/ot]
Well, aren't they?

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #854
Ingenioren

Crossing E6 in Groruddalen, Oslo:
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #855
katia72

Likes (Received): 9

I agree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
...the roads are poor and Norwegian motorists pay lots of money without getting good roads. And it is built to litle highways
katia72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #856
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Car, road and fuel taxes paid in 2008 was 62,4 billion NOK. At the same time the road budget was only 17 billion. Which of about half goes to maintenance. And the last half is split on half to new roads and about half to other investments. This mean about 4 billion NOK each year to new roads. And to make the whole thing extra sweet, 4,6 billions of those 62,4 come from toll roads. Meaning we pay more in toll road taxes each year than we get new roads.

The current goverment even said "Where should we else get the money from?" when newspaper Dagens Næringsliv showed them the real facts.

If we actually used the money we pay in car, road and fuel taxes on new roads we could get a nice highway network in 15 years.

Last edited by Kjello0; September 25th, 2009 at 02:09 AM.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #857
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

But then we wouldn't be able to maintain our freakingly huge and inefficien public sector! What will the Norwegian people do for a living then? Work?!

Old September 25th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #858
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Let them build the roads
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #859
katia72

Likes (Received): 9

Just wondering ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
Let them build the roads
Since many drivers are members of NAF why not get into a sort of protest ...?
Like they do in France or other countries..?
katia72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #860
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Sounds a freaking lot like the Netherlands...

drivers that generate revenue that's multiple times the road budget, big public sector that consumes a lot of tax money, and a motorist association that's very passive...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway