daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #941
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
PS: I am not sure whether the transit traffic through Trondheim require a new outer ring road. I guess it depends a little on where the new freight terminal ends up.
Traffic going all the way from Sandmoen and to Ranheim is estimated to be around 4000. But my proposal don't only serve through traffic. It also serve those who travel most of the route. Like Sandmoen - Lade area (2000) or Ranheim - Tiller/Heimdal area (3000). And then we are up in 9000. In adition we got traffic to and from the Stubban/Risvollan area, which is kind of hard to estimate. So the total traffic served by a such bypass will probably be atleast 10 000 AADT.

And then we must not forget that Trondheim is expected to grow 35% the next 20 years. And reach 230 000 inhabitants between 2030 and 2035 some time. And we all know that it probably will grow even more than that. When has SSB ever been right? Even just a few years ago Trondheim was estimated to reach 170 000 inhabitants in 2015, which was reached this year. Meaning the SSB was off by six years. And the last six years Trondheim has grown with 20 000. Meaning Trondheim will be around 190 000 when we reach 2015 and was supposed to reach 170 000.
So we gotta plan ahead. And the areas that probably will grow the most the next 20 years is the areas between my proposed bypass and the current E 6.
And if we grow more than SSB expect there is no way we can live without a second bypass. It was seen on as needed back in the 80's, so why shouldn't it be needed now?
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #942
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

OK, you have me convinced. The problem is that it will take a bit more to convince the current Norwegian political estblishment in general and Rita the major in particular....

And in the mean time, the areas formerly set aside for the outer road are filling up....

BTW, where the heck did Google get those crappy aerials of Trondheim from. Apparantly the google development unit that used to be in Trondheim until this year did not pay much attention to their own city....
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #943
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Quote:
BTW, where the heck did Google get those crappy aerials of Trondheim from. Apparantly the google development unit that used to be in Trondheim until this year did not pay much attention to their own city....
use finn.no instead

google make Norway look horrible!
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #944
Kjello0

E 39 Vinjefjorden will open for regular traffic November 30. When opened 10,5 km out of 14,5 km is finished and asphalted. The last 4 km will be finished in june or july. Hopefully before the summer vacation start. Wonder if there will be anyone from the goverment at the official opening. And if so I wonder if they dare to claim that this stretch is a result of the current goverments "roadlift". Especially since every part of that road was financed in advance by the two counties involved.
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #945
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

A nice picture from E6 in Finnmark (not my picture)

metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #946
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

I bet Kleppa will claim it was only possible with their improving the local economy, thus claiming she did a good job last term...

Very good standard on E6 in that picture there, i have driven this road - and it's far from that standard in most places...

E18 in Bjĝrvika, will be sad to lose this "driving into the skyline" feeling when the tunnel is finished....
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #947
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Maybe this is more the standard you had in mind? Another picture from E6 in Finnmark

Sorry for the huge image, but I don't know how to resize
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #948
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Maybe this is more the standard you had in mind? Another picture from E6 in Finnmark

Sorry for the huge image, but I don't know how to resize
All roads in Norway with a yellow stripe, and less than 10000 cars passing a day can be counted as "good standard", according to the politicians.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #949
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
Have you been to Croatia recently, over the past 10 years they have built a motorway network which must be one of the best I've ever driven on, when finished it will connect all the major cities and towns in Croatia. I believe it's now about 75& complete with only a few links to the south of Split, the link from Reijka South and the connection to Pula. All the missing links are currently under construction. This network is partially funded by tolls and by govt investment. Once the motorway network is complete then the next major project will be the railways.
I'm back. And even though this was an old post by myself, I felt like making a short comment: This is precisely what I'm saying. Countries might fund and do fund roads better than we do, but, generally speaking, the real massive projects of today are (at least partialy) toll road ones. I'm certainly not suggesting this to be the greatest idea in human excistense, I'm merely pointing it out as a fact of life.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #950
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
The picture in the previous post was shot facing south. The main arteria is the E6 coming from the southern suburbs and beyond, in Sluppen sluppen the E6 split in one arm going towards the city center (i.e. towards north / the phographer) and one arm going around the city (towards north/east at the bottom left. In addition, this is were rv 715, comes across the river on the infamous Sluppen bridge to connect to E6. Rv 715 is the main road for traffic coming the other side of the fjord (Fosen), but most of the traffic comes from the western suburbs of Trondheim (Byċsen). There is no other option for cars going east / west between this bridge and downtown several kms to the north. In addition to E6 and Rv 715, there are quite a few other roads coming to this area.

The two main problems of the area is quite evident in the picture shown above:[list][*]The Sluppen bridge (small bridge across river to the right) and sourrounding infrastructure is insufficient[*]For traffic coming from the bypass E6 the single lane ramp for traffic going towards the south is under capacity.

Below is sketch of the current situation with traffic numbers from 2007 and with circles around the problematic areas. Since 2007 the population of Trondheim has increased by almost 6 %. For some reason north is to the left on this map:

The Sluppen bridge was built as a temporary bridge substutiting another temporary bridge (?) as far back as 1954, and is only 6 m wide. At the east bank there is a bend so sharp that trucks and buses needs both lanes in order to enter the bridge. At the other end there is a traffic light, and add a lot of bicycles to this mix and you have serious traffic problem:

The road system on the west bank (Byċsen) side is not ideal either, and the result is many people make huge detours today in order to avoid the worst areas and times.

Hopefully, this will change to the better in a few years, at least there are now some plans on the table for new solutions and their financing (100 % toll, of course...)

The overall planned and U/C main road system of Trondheim is shown below:

The existing bypass E6 is shown in blue. Yellow and red roads are existing or U/C. The white road is the new planned Sluppen bridge and a refurbished road at the west bank. In addition, a four lane tunnel up to the Byċsen suburbs are planned. A more detailed / bigger map can be found here:
http://www.vegvesen.no/binary?id=171301

The alternatives currently considered will be given below. Yellow is new / modified road, green colors are for bikes / pedestrians.
Alternative 0+

This alternative just means that there will only be built a slightly widened and realigned Sluppen bridge and building a new roundabout. No solution for connecting the new Byċsen tunnel to the system.
Alternative 1

Here the new sluppen bridge is widened to four lanes, and the bridge is moved down the river a bit and a roundabout at the west bank connects the new bridge to the tunnel and the north-south road (Oslovegen) on the west bank. No lanes added to the single lane E6 ramp, but traffic from Sluppen going towards downtown are realigned.
Alternative 2a

Here also Oslo-vegen on the west bank will be four lanes, and through traffic on that road will be grade separated from the Sluppen bridge traffic. In addition all ramps on the E6 have at least two lanes. This is IMO the first solution that will fix most of the current problems. Notice also that the new bike route system is far better.
Alternative 2b

More or less the same as alternative 2a, except the through way of E6 is changed from the branch going into the city to the bypass branch.
Alternative 3

This alternative is fairly similar to 2a, except that the E6 goes down through a tunnel. As drawn here the E6-E6 interchange will have three levels. The alternative was suggested by the city in order to increase the area available for commercial development. In addition, this alternative keep the south/west road on the western bank (Oslovegen) as a two lane road, but keep the grade separation. In addition some ramps on the existing interestion on the bypass E6 in the NE corner of the map will be closed.

It will be exciting to see what the end result of this will be. Hopefully they will not be so short-sighted this time that they end up with alternative 0+ or 1, that wont solve anything in the long run. Also, I think there should be four lanes on the west bank road, as there is more than enough room since the houses close to that road anyway will be / has been demolished. Also other aspects of alternative 3 is suboptimal IMO. More area may be open for development, but that will also make future amendments to the system more difficult.
Why aren't alternatives 2b and 3 combined with a 4-lane Oslovei? I really believe a branching of the city centre link makes sense, particularly given the fact that one is seeking a diversion of car traffic from the city centre (bus lanes etc). In such a scenario, 4 lanes both east and west of the centre would make perfect sense...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #951
Ingenioren

Afternoon trafic on Ring3, Ĝkern:

Old November 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #952
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Is that a motorway? It looks very substandard, sidewalks, no real exit ramps and even a bus stop if I see it right.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #953
Ingenioren

No, it's not a motorway at all. It's speedlimit 60 km/h, the road is temporary displaced because there is exit of a new tunnel being blasted to the right of the road. It's common for these yellow-signed urban expressways (70 or 80 km/h limit) to have bus-stops and sidewalks, altough they are gradually being removed to improve trafic-flow and safety.
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #954
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Anyone know why a 4 lane highway about 2-3 km long was built in the middle of nowhere about 20km north of Oppdal on the E6, it came as quite a surprise, we normally go to Trondheim via the coastal route so haven't been this way for a couple of years.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #955
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
Anyone know why a 4 lane highway about 2-3 km long was built in the middle of nowhere about 20km north of Oppdal on the E6, it came as quite a surprise, we normally go to Trondheim via the coastal route so haven't been this way for a couple of years.
2-3km?

The expansion up/down the quite steep and difficult section just south of Ulsberg, between Klĝftbrua and Farleghetsbrua to be exact. Been completed these days, should be about 650m long, just up that hill there.

Reason? It has long been a very difficult part for heavier vehicles. ( example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4)

Its the same as the 2x1-road just south of Soknedal which was build a few years ago. There are also much work been done just north of Ulsberg. They have been cutting down turn by turn for over 10 years.
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #956
KiwiRob
BANNED

I must admit I was traveling at excessive speed when I blasted through the area so probably thought it was longer than it really was. Ah well I guess it's a start. Maybe next time I will go through slower and admire the only 4 lane highway close to my town.
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #957
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
I must admit I was traveling at excessive speed when I blasted through the area so probably thought it was longer than it really was. Ah well I guess it's a start. Maybe next time I will go through slower and admire the only 4 lane highway close to my town.
And are you sure it was 2x2?

Last time i drove it (still U/C a month ago) it was just a 2x1 road. 2 lanes up, 1 down.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #958
KiwiRob
BANNED

It's looked like it was 2x2 with a median barrier between them.
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #959
Kjello0

Becouse of this slide

In this hill

the opening for regular traffic on E 39 Vinjefjorden is postponed with atleast two weeks.
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #960
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Does anyone know if E6 from Hvam(?) too Klĝfta used to be a six-laner?

When looking at Google Earth there is a changing of pictures at Lindeberg, where the northern picture is showing a six-laner which changes to a four-laner with wide shoulders, in the picture from 2006. I have heard that plans were to expand E6 too six lanes during the Gardermoen building, but it was only prtly finished up to Hvam, AFAIK.

From what I see on the picture it also might be that the shoulder is used as a lane during asphalting (The inner lanes has a lighter color than the outer).
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway