daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #81
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

IMO there should be a barrier on both side of the lamp posts. Right now the posts are quite close to the road.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #82
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Wow, what a nature! Thanks for the pix, we don't have many from Norway, I wish we had more! Illumination all the way really surprised me!

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4379/20sr7.jpg
Ramps before the tunnel? Interesting.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7628/46nw6.jpg
The upper sign suggests that the traffic is 2-way, but it's (still) 1-way!

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3161/43cq3.jpg
What's this car plate? Cuz I don't think it's Ljubljana.

Oh, and Marché rocks!

Last edited by Verso; October 10th, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #83
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

It would lack the crest though LJ means this vehicle is registrated in Tønsberg. (Town about 100 km south-west of Oslo)
Norsko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #84
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Wow, what a nature! Thanks for the pix, we don't have many from Norway, I wish we had more! Illumination all the way really surprised me!

Tonsberg
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #85
Verso
Islander

Why is LJ Tønsberg? Anyway, go, Tønsberg!
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #86
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
Why is LJ Tønsberg? Anyway, go, Tønsberg!
Instead of matching licenseplate codes with town/region names, we use an alpabethical-geographical system up here; AA is as far south-east as you can get, ZZ is all the way up by the Russian border. Some exeptions though: EL is used by elektric powered vehicles, GA by gas powered vehicles, HY by Hydrogen powered vehicles and CD is used by diplomat vehicles.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #87
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Just a thing what comes in my mind now: why are the emergency lanes (if present) so narrow?

And does Norway have dynamic road management on some of its roads? (apart from the tunnels)
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #88
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Just a thing what comes in my mind now: why are the emergency lanes (if present) so narrow?
At least tunnels are wide. Damn, that was a nice trip, and the rainy/foggy weather makes it more mystic. Oh, thanks, Norsko.
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #89
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post

And does Norway have dynamic road management on some of its roads? (apart from the tunnels)
Do you mean like in the photos 15 or 16 in post 61? If so, yes we do (obviously ). Mainly close to or inside major towns and before major intersections. On the E 18 in Vestfold, were these photos are shot, there are quite a lot of signs like that cause of all the tunnels. In case of closed tunnels these signs will show the detour routes.

Last edited by Norsko; May 1st, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #90
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
At least tunnels are wide. Damn, that was a nice trip, and the rainy/foggy weather makes it more mystic. Oh, thanks, Norsko.
My pleasure, and yes, Norway is quite mystic during autumn
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #91
Wallaroo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
IMO there should be a barrier on both side of the lamp posts. Right now the posts are quite close to the road.
Norwegians are not exactly known for efficiency.
Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #92
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

the weirdest toll stations that i have ever seen! now i ask myself: are our toll stations with roofs and all the other things really neccessary?
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #93
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
the weirdest toll stations that i have ever seen! now i ask myself: are our toll stations with roofs and all the other things really neccessary?
Despite its few motorways, Norway kicks ass ! I just love those simple, elegant and practical solutions that other people from other countries don't even think about! I guess the workers are reassigned from collecting tolls to inputting the car numbers in the computer.

Also I can't wait for the day when I will finally get there and take a cruise on the fjords!
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #94
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Haha, true, and you don't even have to pay, if you're by motorbike!
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #95
Wallaroo

Quote:
Even weirder is it that their toll stations are placed on ordinary rural roads, instead of on motorways only. I have never seen that anywhere else - kinda crazy I think.
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #96
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yeah, a lot of Norwegian roads are tolled from time to time. I must say, their infrastructure is so expensive, you have to pay for it, but why not a toll vignette like Switzerland?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #97
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

I don't understand why the toll stations are weird, we have those all over the country. Are toll-stations other places manual only? We don't pay toll to employ loosers to sit there, we pay for better roads! The toll-roads around Oslo will soon be all automatic. If you try to drive through without paying, you'll get a hefty fine, atleast if it's a Norwegian car, don't know how it's solved for foreign licence plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
Even weirder is it that their toll stations are placed on ordinary rural roads, instead of on motorways only. I have never seen that anywhere else - kinda crazy I think.
Yeah, that is a source of much debate many places. There can be more reasons for this. One is to avoid that people drive detours just to avoid paying. That could lead to small local roads beeing congested, but most importantly less income for the toll-station Another reason is that some for projects, collecting money via toll is started years before construction even begins. This is to reduce the cost of the projects, they need to loan less money, and the toll-station won't have to stand there for so many years. Most people that lives near these toll-stations are usually very much against this setup, naturally. This has led to a big rise in the populist party that is against all these toll-roads, Progress party. In Tønsberg for example, I think they got 40% in the last election.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #98
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77 View Post
I don't understand why the toll stations are weird, we have those all over the country. Are toll-stations other places manual only? We don't pay toll to employ loosers to sit there, we pay for better roads! The toll-roads around Oslo will soon be all automatic. If you try to drive through without paying, you'll get a hefty fine, atleast if it's a Norwegian car, don't know how it's solved for foreign licence plates.
i didn't mean to say anything negative about it. i just said that we are all got used to large toll stations with roofs, with a lot of lights, even cups with flowers (very common here) and i allways found it normal, but now i see that toll station can exist without all those things, and i have never been thinking about it!

(this about loosers who are sitting there and collecting the money is absolutely true but there is (actually, was) even worse - loosers who've been giving tickets while we didn't have automates for that
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #99
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

^Ahh, I see. Well, some more flowers wouldn't hurt, I guess. The station in Sande(in the photo) is relatively new, so it still looks rather ok, but the stations we have around Oslo is getting old, 17 years I think. Paint is falling off, and they are getting rusty. But as mentioned, they'll bee soon replaced.

btw, thanks igorlan for posting the photos. I've driven this piece of road and taken the bus many times, as I am from Kristiansand. But I've never taken any photos while driving. Come to think of it I've taken some photos from a bus once, 2-3 years ago iirc. I'll post some here soon
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #100
Wallaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yeah, a lot of Norwegian roads are tolled from time to time. I must say, their infrastructure is so expensive, you have to pay for it, but why not a toll vignette like Switzerland?
I like the Italian toll system best - works perfect! You get a ticket at the onramp, and pay for the amount of km you drove at the offramp.

Tags
norway