daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1061
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
Well, It should never have been stoped in the first place as over half the road from Rivedal and eastwards was build in the period 1975-81.

It will also be the chosen route for my new Rv 8 from Bergen to Trondheim
I respect the need for a proper road to Rivedal, as there is a little village there (been there once.) If this would have been part of a regional road as you envisioned there wouldn't be anything wrong with this. Cool project anyway, i'm bored with all the underground fjordcrossings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Why would they use green signing for 706? Imo this should be limited to Stamveger, and Stamveger should be limitided to road numbers from (Rv) 1-99 (and E-routes).
I disagree, it's like Rv150 and Rv190 in Oslo, this is an important road, but it's so short that a nice 2-diggit number would be silly. I'm glad they aren't signing it as an arm of E6 as previously done with the Midtbycrossing - or with no number as is the case with Ryen - Bjørvika expressway in Oslo.

I wonder if the new riksveger will eventually get green signs when these are changed as these are often only pieces of routes (example Rv21 from E6 to Halden), but then again this is the case of Rv/Fv 7 this has been done for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post
Here is a few very bad pictures i took this late cloudy evening.
Very nice pictures, thanks for showing!

Last edited by Ingenioren; May 28th, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1062
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Why would they use green signing for 706? Imo this should be limited to Stamveger, and Stamveger should be limitided to road numbers from (Rv) 1-99 (and E-routes).
Well, it wasn't far away from being signposted E6. Giving E6 three routes in Trondheim. The projects name is also "E6 Nordre Avlastningsvei".

My guess is that all roads that are now part of the new Riksvei network, gets green signs, while old riksveis that now is fylkesveier remains white.

As earlier stated, I want all signs to be white, in a system where number of digits decide the importance of the road. Like the system once was intended to be.
1-9 National routes
10-99 Regional routes
100-999 Local routes
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1063
Ingenioren

I guess the Midtbyen route will change number aswell now, maybe it will even be without one? AFAIK Omkjøringsvegen is the real E6 corridor.

It just doesn't make sense to have 2 numbers for one road (Neither does 1 number for 2 roads - even when they are Ringroads.), i want us to stay with the Euroroads, since i'm a fan of anything boosting internationalism. There are quite a few available numbers tough, i don't know if any road deserves Rv1, isn't this sort of "Hurtigrutens" number? But the other numbers should probably be reasonable to find a road to fit. Rv111 Fredrikstad - Rakkestad could for example have a better number (11?).

Available numbers are 1, 11, 54, 56, 59, 66, 67, 68, 71, 79, 88, 89, 90, 95, 96, 97, 99.

Last edited by Ingenioren; May 28th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #1064
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
That's quite interesting. I lived in Alberta for a while, first as a kid, then later when I was working in the Northern part of the province. the posted limit is 100 KM/H (No barrier either), Being Alberta, one always adds 10KM/H to the posted limit. With the exception between Valleyview and Whitecourt, I felt perfectly safe doing 110 KM/H on a two lane, two way highway. Having said that though, I only did so in the summer, NEVER in the winter, or adverse conditions. Another factor I took into account, is that North Central Alberta is FLAT. You will see headlights on the horizon, but it MAY take more than an hour for that vehicle to reach you.

Having never been to Norway, or Sweden, I can't really comment with any accuracy, but will say that IF, and that's a big "if" the highway is designed properly, it is entirely possible for such a road to have a 110 KM/H limit.
Well, if your stated aim is a zero fatality road network, such limits are unrealistic. By all means, I often feel perfectly safe doing 100-110, possibly faster, on 2-lane undivided highways. But as long as cars are driven by people, crashes will happen. And at more than roughly 70 kph, no car will save you if you get involved in a head-on collision.

That said, limits as low as 70 kph on all regular highways are an unrealistic proposition, even in safety-crazed Scandinavia. Still, I do believe that limits higher than 80-90 should be avoided on most such roads, not least because the everyday driver, as you say, tend to go 10-20 kph above the limit. Not a problem when everything is all right, worse if someone messes up.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1065
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
I think that maybe if Møreaksen is built, we wouldn't need airports for Ålesund and Kristiansund, Molde could serve as an all Møre Airport. What do you think about this?
http://www.moreaksen.no/
I completely agree, Møresksen is supposed to shorten the drive from Kristiansund to Ålesund to 1.5 hours, the catchment area for a central airport would be 220,000 people, just think of all the destinations that an airport serving that number of people would allow. More point to point flights and less transfers at Gardermoen.

Møreaksen is a great project, although MRF must be betting that it's not going to happen for a long time since they have purchased three new gasferries from Remontova, 2 have been delivered already.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1066
Ingenioren

It would probably take around 10 years, as that is often the time from decission is made to project is open.
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1067
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
1-9 National routes
10-99 Regional routes
100-999 Local routes
A couple of things... The old national/regional/local numbering system was intended to be 1-19 plus E routes as the national ones, 20-99 regional and 100+ for local ones. However, this has been messed up considerably of late... I also believe that E route numbers are sufficient, we don't need a dual numbering system. Still, a revision of the current chaos would be a good idea, both in terms of "riksveier" and "fylkesveier".

On a very different note. Speed and speeding have been hot topics from time to time. With the holidays coming up, here are a few hints for foreign motorists on Norwegian roads: Motorways, particularly those with a 100 kph limit, are fairly safe. Doing 10-25 above won't hurt you, everyone else does that as well. Besides, such roads are generally policed only by unmarked cars looking for the serious offenders. However, if you feel like opening up big time, be aware that fines are heavy - doing 140 may relieve your holiday budget of 1000 euros, doing 180-200, will most likely send you straight to jail through a new, way faster, system.

On divided expressways (1+1, 2+1, 2+2) with a 80-90 limit, the story is much the same. These aren't places you're likely to see speed cameras or speed traps, but serious speeding may well get you into an expensive mess. Undivided 2-lane highways are a different cup of tea, though. They are rather busy, and there are - by Norwegian standards - quite a few accidents there. Thus, such roads have quite a few speed cameras (even ones that measure average speed over a given distance) and the police presence is more obvious.

Still, speed traps are more often found in towns and villages. Thus, observing 40, 50 or 60 kph zones (at least to some extent...) makes even more financial sense than avoiding three digits on the speedometre on rural highways. In addition, and if you're not in too much of a hurry, regional and local roads are more fun anyways - less traffic, almost no police, things to see... Enjoy!
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #1068
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

The yellow lines in the middle, I wish they had them around the rest of Europe too, the different colours are aestically pleasing and probably safer too.

Edit: I have seen photos of Sweden with lots of American cars, is it the same in Norway?

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; June 6th, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #1069
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Edit: I have seen photos of Sweden with lots of American cars, is it the same in Norway?
Depends what you mean by "lots"...

But Sweden and Norway aren't that different, there are some people who are hardcore "Amcar" fans, they are a minority, though. The main difference between Norway and Sweden is the fact that Swedish cars, on average, are considerably newer than Norwegian ones. The most common cars in both countries are your average Toyotas, Volvos, Fords, VWs, Opels etc...
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #1070
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

I read somewhere that Sweden is the biggest market for American cars outside of North America.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #1071
Grauthue

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The yellow lines in the middle, I wish they had them around the rest of Europe too, the different colours are aestically pleasing and probably safer too.
Yes, I think the main reason for all the yellow lines in Norway is because they are easier to see when you have a bit of snow on the road, which is not uncommon in Norway
Grauthue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1072
Victorinus
GOES - NL

Likes (Received): 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
I read somewhere that Sweden is the biggest market for American cars outside of North America.
Every summer their are big festivals with American Cars.
Victorinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1073
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Scandinavia in general seems to have a lot of people who own North American vehicles, not just cars. One only has to look to Iceland. Full size Fords, Chevy and Dodge P/U trucks and vans as well as full size cars like Ford's Crown Victoria.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #1074
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Scandinavia in general seems to have a lot of people who own North American vehicles, not just cars. One only has to look to Iceland. Full size Fords, Chevy and Dodge P/U trucks and vans as well as full size cars like Ford's Crown Victoria.
Iceland is a bit special, both because they need their 4x4s and because they've had a significant American prescence at Keflavik for decades. The Norwegian and Swedish fascination is a somewhat niche one, the everyday motorist aren't that interested: we don't need big cars that are perfect for cruising along 4-lane boulevards... Family guys want Avensises or V70s, off-road enthusiasts like Land Cruisers or Land Rovers, cocky yuppies prefer Beamers or Audis.
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #1075
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Bugger guess I moved fro being a cocky yuppie to a family guy, BMW 3 series to a Volvo V70. Would have bought a 5 series touring or an A6 Avant but they were 100k more than the V70.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1076
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
Bugger guess I moved fro being a cocky yuppie to a family guy, BMW 3 series to a Volvo V70. Would have bought a 5 series touring or an A6 Avant but they were 100k more than the V70.
I didn't say they were the only ones who go for Beamers... On the other hand, you made a wise choice...
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #1077
notifyist

Likes (Received): 1

Anyone who can give me a good reason for this not being signed a motorway?

Fritz C. Riebers Vei (Rv580 and E39)
I think this road has more than good enough standards to be signposted as a motorway.

You can also go to Google Maps and turn on street-view to look at the standards.

Last edited by notifyist; June 20th, 2010 at 03:45 AM.
notifyist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #1078
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Politics. There are thousands of kilometers of road just like that in Europe that are classified as expressways or even less.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #1079
Grauthue

Likes (Received): 72

Anyways. I can see from Google Earth that there was some construction work going on just south of here when the Google Earth pictures were taken (30 Jun 2005). What is the current situation with this road? How far south does the four lane stretch continue now? Is it connected to the four lane road going west to the airport?
Grauthue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #1080
notifyist

Likes (Received): 1

The stretch that should be signposted motorway is 7.7 km. I think what you see on Earth is when they expanded the part south of the tunnels to 2x2 lane.

Yes, this road(Rv580) is the major road to the airport. But after this interchange or junction(someone tell me)

, the road is 4 lane expressway with roundabouts, |2+:1|MEDIAN|1:2+| and carpool lanes.(2+)

This is the expressway to the airport. With some effort I think they easily upgrade the road to a motorway.

Last edited by notifyist; June 20th, 2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: they
notifyist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway