daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1121
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

So why do some toll bridges and tunnels charge for the car and then for the passangers? This is crap why should it matter how many people are in the car? I can understand the per person charge on a ferry but not for a bridge or tunnel.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:45 PM   #1122
54░26′S 3░24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Is there any other place than Krifast (bridges tunnels around Kristiansund, including E39) who does this? In that case, it has something to do with the ferries that use to run these stretches, but I have never really understood it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Swedish motorcylist killed on E6 in Rennebu. It's incredible how E6 can have those bridges. Also, E6 Trondheim - Oslo should have 2+1 (m÷tesfri landsvńg) as mininum standard

Link to article (in norwegian): http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/sortro...cle1508630.ece
Could not agree more. Videoclip from Stavň bridge can be found here:
http://www.arenatv.no/bygg_vei/bygg_vei_video.html
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM   #1123
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Atlanterhavstunnelen (Kristiansund - Aver°y) has the same system.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1124
KiwiRob
BANNED

I got stung twice yesterday going into Kristiansund via Krifast and leaving via the Atlanterhavstunnelen, if I lived there I'd be made as hell, trapped on the island with no free access. I'd love to know why they did it like that, it's most unfare.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1125
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Norway's most beautiful bridges

'Teknisk ukeblad', a Norwegian magazine about engineering, held an online poll for the most beautiful bridges in Norway. The nominees can be found here: http://www.tu.no/bygg/bildeserier/article251579.ece
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1126
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Hi all,

Been busy, haven't had a chance to post anything here in a couple months, it's good to be back.

Was having a conversation with something recently, and I told them that in 2007, I purchased a UK car and drove it to Norway and back(yes, I had insurance)on my US driver's license(California). He told me that what I did was illegal. I could have rented a car in London and drove it to France, but in no way was I allowed to purchase a British car and drive it to Europe.

I have no idea where else to post this question, so sorry if it's in the wrong area. Anyone know if I was truly in the wrong or does this guy not know what I he's talking about.

If I had been stopped by the police, say in France or The Netherlands, and presented my California license yet with proof that I owned the British car, what would they have possibly done? I am now living in the UK, and have a UK licence, so this wouldn't be an issue for me anymore, but I never gave it any thought until recently!

Thanks for info, I am curious as to whether I broke the law or not! :-) I'll post this question on some of the other motorway threads as well and see what people say.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:26 PM   #1127
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

As long as you had valid insurance, I don't see why not...
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #1128
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Was having a conversation with something recently, and I told them that in 2007, I purchased a UK car and drove it to Norway and back(yes, I had insurance)on my US driver's license(California). He told me that what I did was illegal. I could have rented a car in London and drove it to France, but in no way was I allowed to purchase a British car and drive it to Europe.
I can't really see the problem here. If you've taken up permanent recidency in Norway, I believe you would have faced serious import taxes and possible impoundment of the car. But as a visitor? I can't see that your car's insurance would be any less valid than that of a UK driver, and that's the main issue. Apart from the taxman, that is...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #1129
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

New breathtaking photos of Norways most beautiful roads, the "Tourist roads" from http://www.turistveg.no/ They also serve purpose of regional and local highways in most cases.

Fv44/Fv507, the JŠren coastal highway in southwestern Norway connects several towns toughout the coast region:

Rv13/Fv520, the Ryfylke highway in southwestern Norway, a regional connection north-south trough inner western Norway:

Rv7/Rv13/Fv550, the Hardanger highways in western Norway, shortest route from Bergen to Oslo:

Fv51, Valdresflye mountainpass in eastern Norway, shortcut from Western to Mid-Norway and regional north-south connection for the inner eastern lands, closed during winter:

Fv243, Aurlands mountainpass. Great alternative road instead of the 24km tunnel on Oslo - Bergen highway E16, closed during winter.

E16 can be seen way down below:

Fv13, Gaular mountainpass, part of the inner north-south connection trough western Norway:

Fv55, Sogne mountain pass. Significant east-west connection. Winterclosed:

Fv258, Old Stryne mountainpass, alternative to tunnels on east-west connection Rv15, winterclosed:

Rv15 down below:

Fv27, Rondane mountainpass, north-south connection in eatern Norway:

Fv63, Geiranger mountainpass, north-south connection in mid-norway, winterclosed:

Fv63 continues up the mountain in the background:

Fv64/Fv663/Fv238/Fv235, Atlanterhavs coastal highway, parts of it is intercity highway between Kristiansund and Molde:

Fv17, Helgelands coast south, coastal north-south connection in Northern Norway:

Fv17, Helgelands coast north:

E10, Lofoten, mainroad trough the archipelago in northern Norway:

Fv82, And°ya, main road north-south trough the Vesterňlen archipelago:

Fv86/Fv862/Fv277, Senja, northern coastal highway for Norways 2nd largest island:

Fv889, Hav°ysund. Only road leading to this remote fishingvillage:

E75/Fv341, Varanger, leading to easternmost point in Norway connecting some of the "larger" towns in Finnmark county:

Last edited by Ingenioren; August 20th, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #1130
Victorinus
GOES - NL

Likes (Received): 343

Very nice pictures!!!
Victorinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1131
Ingenioren

The process of national tourist highways is to upgrade and add new rest-stops troughout the routes, here are the finished rest-stops - many more are planned as this is a long-term project lasting from 1994 until 2020, more info about the projects here: http://www.turistvegprosjektet.com/F...%20bladbar.swf:

Ryfylke:

Hardanger:

Valdresflya:

Aurlandsfjellet:

Gaularfjellet:

Sognefjellet:

Gamle strynefjellsvegen:

Rondane:

Geiranger:

Atlanterhavs road:

Helgelands coast north:

Lofoten:

Senja:

Hav°ysund:

Varanger:

Last edited by Ingenioren; August 20th, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1132
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Very nice. I just wish they'd spend the same effort on fixing and building actual roads.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1133
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

The Norwegian scenery is just breathtaking.
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM   #1134
KiwiRob
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
I can't really see the problem here. If you've taken up permanent recidency in Norway, I believe you would have faced serious import taxes and possible impoundment of the car. But as a visitor? I can't see that your car's insurance would be any less valid than that of a UK driver, and that's the main issue. Apart from the taxman, that is...
If you move to Norway you have 12 months before you have to register the car with Norwegian plates and pay the import taxes on it.

There is no issue about buying a car in the UK and driving it around Europe, thousands of New Zealanders and Australians do it every year, very few of them have UK drivers licenses, I've never heard of anyone having a problem.
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1135
KiwiRob
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Very nice. I just wish they'd spend the same effort on fixing and building actual roads.
I wish they would just add some passing lanes, not too hard to do and would stop people dangerously passing, trucks, bobils and camping vogons.
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:40 PM   #1136
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
I wish they would just add some passing lanes, not too hard to do and would stop people dangerously passing, trucks, bobils and camping vogons.
Exactly. Take the southern part of the E6 (Trondheim - Lillehammer) for example, which is a dreadful drive IMO. Ideally, it would become a motorway, but a better alignment with more frequent passing lanes would help so much. Right now there's like two or three stretches with passing lanes for 400km. That's really not difficult nor very expensive, and should be an easy sell to a safety-concerned government. I know they've been adding some 1x2 better-aligned stretches primarily because of safety concerns, but why can't they add some goddamn passing lanes? The non-motorway parts of the A13 in Switzerland, which is a wonderful drive, could serve as an example.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1137
Ingenioren

They are upgrading and building new roads for 13 km north of Lillehammer atm - i think it will be 2+2 and 2+1 all the way. But i think more passing lanes should be added to road-projects, particulary E6 south of Melhus for example...
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1138
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

Same at Rv3 north of Elverum where they're doing lots of straghtenings and making new shoulders. Why not just ad a lane or two, for practicly no money at all?

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #1139
54░26′S 3░24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Because that would mean a call for another tube to places like Mager°ya

Not many posts here currently, quite fitting to the low construction activity outside the south-eastern intercity triangle at the moment.

This is a video describing the latest developments on the E6 around Soknedalen, south of Trondheim.
http://www.tronderbladet.no/tbtv/?id...*******&page=0

Mostly in Norwegian, but showing videos of the current miserable situation and renderings for the current (?) plans. It would be tragedy if this road is built without a center fence and passing opportunities, but I guess the most likely outcome is that the whole project is delayed by the municipal council because the local shops do not want to lose the through traffic. There is also something called funding that needs to be sorted out....

Last edited by 54░26′S 3░24′E; September 8th, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
54░26′S 3░24′E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1140
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

Well it is that (monster)bridge project in the west, that's going on, but it seems as most forumers discussing Norwegian highways, hangs out in the Norwegian section, and thereby that's where most of the updates will come.

E18 in Aust-Agder/Telemark seems to be a hot potato these days, though...

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway