daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #101
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
I like the Italian toll system best - works perfect! You get a ticket at the onramp, and pay for the amount of km you drove at the offramp.
I like it too, but from the signs in the pictures above I understand that in Norway they take a snapshot of your car number and then send you the bill by mail - did I understand correctly? If so, I find it very convenient and practical. And the best thing: no traffic jams at toll booths!

Out of curiousity, are foreign-numbered cars handled in the same way?
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #102
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
(...) Out of curiousity, are foreign-numbered cars handled in the same way?
That is the thought, and since this system has been in use for some time, I guess it works out quite as it is supposed to. I have read in the news about some German cars getting away without paying though, something about the German police having other priorities (would you belive it ? )
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #103
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
I like it too, but from the signs in the pictures above I understand that in Norway they take a snapshot of your car number and then send you the bill by mail - did I understand correctly? If so, I find it very convenient and practical. And the best thing: no traffic jams at toll booths!

Out of curiousity, are foreign-numbered cars handled in the same way?
but if thatßs so, why are there manual paying lanes? wouldnßt those be unneccessary?
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #104
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
but if thatßs so, why are there manual paying lanes? wouldnßt those be unneccessary?
The toll station with lanes for manual payment (photo 27 post 61) is situated on the E 18 motorway wich was constructed about ten years ago, the automatic toll station (photo 43 post 61) though, is just a couple of years old, built after this new payment system was developed and accommodated to the Norwegian Autopass system.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #105
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
I guess they didn't get to replace all of them just yet. Obviously they need quite high resolution cameras in order to clearly capture the number on the plate, cameras which weren't exactly available until recently. Probably they will soon replace the "manual" toll booths with the new camera ones. They need to be improved especially if they are around big cities like Oslo .

An interesting thing would be to make a computer program that "reads" car numbers, so the system would be fully automated, but that's not exactly an easy task, it would involve pattern recognition and advanced statistics.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #106
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
I guess they didn't get to replace all of them just yet. Obviously they need quite high resolution cameras in order to clearly capture the number on the plate, cameras which weren't exactly available until recently. Probably they will soon replace the "manual" toll booths with the new camera ones. They need to be improved especially if they are around big cities like Oslo .

An interesting thing would be to make a computer program that "reads" car numbers, so the system would be fully automated, but that's not exactly an easy task, it would involve pattern recognition and advanced statistics.
You are very right! In fact that was a major argument for changing our car licenseplates (the fonts) one year ago, so many bills were mailed the wrong persons because such cameras was not always able to differ the digits 0, 3, 6, 8 and 9 when captured in 90 - 130 km/h.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #107
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
That exists for many years in the Netherlands. Fines from fixed speed traps and stretch controles are fully automated. I think it exists elswhere too.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #108
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
That exists for many years in the Netherlands. Fines from fixed speed traps and stretch controles are fully automated. I think it exists elswhere too.
Not here in Eastern Europe, that's for sure ! I had no idea there were such advanced systems in the Netherlands, or anywhere else for that matter . You guys would probably have the best motorway system in the world if it were also adapted to current capacity!
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #109
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
We ve got those speed traps everyehere! They stand closer (at least almost ) than light posts along our roads
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #110
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

^ they can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Some photos from the bus Kristiansand-Oslo, taken with my old crappy camera a couple of years ago. It's not so much highway-photos, as it is view from the highway-photos, wich may not be so interesting in this forum.

Of the 330 km between Kristiansand and Oslo, only about 100 km is class A motorway(4 lanes), less than 100 km is class B motorway(2-3 lanes), and the rest is old roads in poor condition. In a few years, we'll have more than 50 km new class A motorway though.

Topdalsfjord in Kristiansand

Varodd-bridges in Kristiansand

Gas station at Lillesand, E18 on the left...

Driving over a brigde in Telemark

Lake Farris at Larvik

This cafe is now abandoned, as a new motorway is under construction that will replace this piece of E18.

Typical south-eastern Norway countryside

Finally on the motorway!

Same cafe as shown by igorlan

Typical view

Same toll-station as shown by igorlan, only from the other side

Drammen

Asker trainstation

The old IKEA before it got renovated

Sandvika, where I work

A special house

One of the countless office-buildings lying near E18 out of Oslo westwards. This is Tandberg HQ, I think.

Another one, this is Software Innovation

At the toll-station in Oslo

At Skøyen

Mansions in western parts of Oslo, some used as embassies

Coming out of Festningstunnellen(the fortress tunnel)

Oslo stock exhange

Oslo central station and Posthuset

On Bispelokket, a roundabout raised above E18

I hope they were of some interest
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
It's not so much highway-photos, as it is view from the highway-photos, wich may not be so interesting in this forum.
That's okay. Not only the road is interesting, but also the setting!
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #112
wyqtor
Coexist

Some of us (i.e., me! ) are here on this forum as much for the actual motorways as for pictures of other places!

If you have more photos, do not hesitate to post them when you have time! Norway is such a beautiful country and, the more pictures, the better!
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #113
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i allways remember the book Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy when there is said something about creationing the world and the part where creators got full freedom is - Norway! fantastic terrain!!! and cities looks really nice, i really like those pix!!!
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #114
NorthStar77
Born to run

Quote:
i allways remember the book Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy when there is said something about creationing the world and the part where creators got full freedom is - Norway! fantastic terrain!!! and cities looks really nice, i really like those pix!!!
Hehe, the terrain between Kristiansand and Oslo is described as boring compared to most other parts of Norway
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #115
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Great pix again! I especially like those rough rocks by the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77 View Post
Hehe, the terrain between Kristiansand and Oslo is described as boring compared to most other parts of Norway
Then it's high-time to take camera in your hands and get going.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #116
NorthStar77
Born to run

Okay then

Here are some photos from E16, between Oslo and Bergen, that I took last summer.

On Filefjell

Down from Filefjell to Lærdal

Inside the world's longest tunnel(atleast for normal traffic), Lærdalstunnellen, 24.5km long.

Torrential rain caused several earth-slides, and we had to wait for hours for the road to open again. For a while, there were rumours that some people were stuck inside some of the slides.

A gravel road to the right of us here, had just been washed away...

Bonus pics from the same trip, Bergen and Besseggen

Old October 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #117
Verso
Islander

Beautiful. How many hours did it take you, considering you got stuck? And a couple of questions about the Lærdalstunnellen: what's the speed limit, and I've heard it lies on the main road between Oslo and Bergen (well, obviously you also used it), but to me it looks too north, isn't there another road more southerly and therefore shorter?
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #118
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is also the E134 from Oslo to Haugesund, but you have to take a ferry.
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #119
Verso
Islander

Aha, I thought so; so I suppose the E134 was the main road Oslo-Bergen before the tunnel was built. But I see there's a road also over the tunnel, so I guess it was possible to get to Bergen without taking a ferry already before. Am I right?
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #120
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77 View Post
Yes, but they usually don't bother with people driving 10-20km/h faster than the limit on the high standard motorways, only on the roads of poorer standards, where there are more accidents.

I am sure, I've driven on the roads out of Oslo many times
Yeah, traffic easilly go up to 100km/h-120km/h on the highways with speed limit 90km/h. But the police has taken many recently even on these roads (i think its ridicilous, more understandable in 60km/h and less).

A few/loads pics i have taken from different highways and roads in Norway, mostly in Trøndelag, or around Trondheim.

New E6 south of Trondheim.

Lærdalstunnellen, the world longest tunnel.

Maybe not that many highway pics!

Last edited by Þróndeimr; October 17th, 2007 at 12:43 AM.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway