daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM   #1341
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

E18 is undergoing upgrade stretch by stretch, and you're correct in that parts of it has been and will be built as 1+1. Traffic numbers are low closest to Sweden, only a few thousand AADT. Road will be motorway between Vinterbro (where E6 and E18 meet) and Momarken/Mysen in Østfold, about 28 km from the Swedish border.

Site for the full project can be found here (yellow parts are done, red parts are U/C or will start construction soon): http://www.vegvesen.no/Vegprosjekter/e18ostfold

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Last edited by IceCheese; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM   #1342
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

From section 4 going west the road has motorway standard.

Next section(6) is scheduled for opening in 2013 with most of it 2+2 expressway.
Section 7 will be motorway, opening scheduled for 2014.
Section 8 will be 1+1 expressway with center barrier, opening scheluded in 2015 (If tolls are approved - eitherway the a new customs station will be built during the next years.)
Section 9, earliest constructionstart in 2015 - but anyones guess. Motorway standard is most likely.

Further from E6 to Oslo municipal border it has been "upgraded" from a 2+1 expressway to 1+1 expressway with a center barrier and northbound lane on the short old motorway is has been converted to a buslane. No concrete plans for making this section a motorway. A tunnel has been suggested trough the Oslo infrastructure package with 4 lanes out of 2 buslanes avoiding the fjord-side street with all it's light intersections, but may fall out eventually.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:49 PM   #1343
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Yay Trondheim finally got good imagery on Google Earth. Oslo was also updated
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1344
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Stavanger was updated to. But fantastic that Trondheim finally has good pictures.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #1345
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

In terms of image quality, google, which seems to be using sattelite pictures, is still lightyears behind the national map engines which are using pictures shot from airplanes:
Finn:
http://kart.finn.no/ (Select "Flyfoto", "Hybrid" (, or 3D) at the menu to the right)
Gule sider:
http://kart.gulesider.no/ (Select ditto at the menu at the top. Gule sider also have sea maps, btw ("Sjøkart") as well as the possibility to se buildings/ areas from different angles in urban areas ("skråfoto")
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #1346
Ingenioren

New signs for the re-routed Rv36 will be set up this summer. The rerouting follows the Fv354 trough Grenland and avoids going trough Skien and Porsgrunn town centres. The old route of Rv36 will be signed Fv354:

http://www.doffin.no/search/show/sea...x?ID=MAY161004

Why these roads number haven't been swapped a long time ago one may wonder....
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #1347
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

As I prepare for my trip to Norway this summer, could anyone tell me some things about Norwegian speed cameras. Now, I'm not a speeder, I've only had 1 speeding ticket in 16 years of driving, so I'm not asking these things for a "bad" purpose but just so I know all the ins and outs of where I'm going to be.

In the UK, the buffer cameras give is generally around 10% plus 2 mph. So, if a speed limit is 30mph, the camera wouldn't flash until you hit around 35. This is because speedometers in cars are always a little off. Is the buffer similar in Norway? If not, what is it usually? Also, how does the police in Norway decide where to put the cameras. Again, in the UK the camera can only go on a stretch of road that has had a certain level of accidents I believe. Lastly, do Norwegian speed cameras have to show the driver in the photo or not? Thanks.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #1348
Ingenioren

I always follow the speedlimit past a camera, but my taxi colleagues usually run 80km/h trough the 70km/h zones without being flashed. Cameras are located in high-accident zones and signed beforehand. For the larger cities there will just be one sign entering the city tough. I think the owner of the vehicle is liable.

Beware of this sign, you will be flashed by a camera after passing it, make sure to keep the speed limit untill you reach another camera - your photo will then be deleted:
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #1349
Ingenioren

Oslos Ring1

Temporary look of it's eastern end, in the future this will be urbanized into a wider avenue:

The round-about is also temporary, here Ring1 will split into 2 two-way routes left trough a new avenue and straight ahead on the bridge opening in August with a new trafic-light:

In the western end of future avenue is found another entrance to E18 with Autoroad symbol. Sign was aubviously to small to fit entire name of destination city, these ramps connects E18 to the Denmark ferrys:

This is where E18 used to dive into Festnings-tunnel, in 1990 this 1,8km long tunnel was deemed good enough for the M-sign, but after a 240 mio NOK rehabilitation it was downgraded to Autoroad with yellow signs... It will serve as ramps to the westbound tunnel:
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #1350
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
I always follow the speedlimit past a camera, but my taxi colleagues usually run 80km/h trough the 70km/h zones without being flashed. Cameras are located in high-accident zones and signed beforehand. For the larger cities there will just be one sign entering the city tough. I think the owner of the vehicle is liable.

Beware of this sign, you will be flashed by a camera after passing it, make sure to keep the speed limit untill you reach another camera - your photo will then be deleted:

My wife isn't here right now to translate for me, but these words "Streknings Måling", does it mean "average speed?"
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #1351
Ingenioren

Yes. "Stretch measurement."
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #1352
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Yes. "Stretch measurement."
I love literal translations! :-) Yes, there are plenty of those here in the UK, especially in "road works" zones. A couple times, I noticed that I was in a average speed camera area while I was in the middle of it. I immediately slowed down to a VERY SLOW speed, to make sure I wasn't "above the average". I probably pissed off the drivers behind me. I swear speed cameras make me a worse driver, as they make me paranoid and I don't feel as confident when driving!
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1353
JeremyCastle

Quote:

So, there's no set rule then, like 10% plus 2 or the Norwegian equivalent?? Is it true that unlike the UK, a speed camera ticket does not add points to your license?
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1354
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Fotoboksene måler nøyaktig hastighet, men gir bilisten 3 km/t i avslag som sikkerhetsmargin. Ved overtredelser over 100 km/t gjelder 3 prosents avslag på fartsmålingen.
Seems you don't get as much as in the uk.

Old May 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #1355
JeremyCastle

Fotoboksene måler nøyaktig hastighet, men gir bilisten 3 km/t i avslag som sikkerhetsmargin. Ved overtredelser over 100 km/t gjelder 3 prosents avslag på fartsmålingen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post

Seems you don't get as much as in the uk.
Where did you get this quote?

3 km off? Aren't most speedometers about 5 kms off?
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #1356
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, but upward.

It's the same as the Dutch margin.
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1357
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, but upward.

It's the same as the Dutch margin.
Yes, true. My GPS is consistently lower than the car speedometer by 3miles(5km) consistently. The only thing that skews it is hills.
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #1358
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Where did you get this quote?

3 km off? Aren't most speedometers about 5 kms off?
A half serious source I found (fotoboks.info), but they quoted more serious sources. Another source reports 2 km, but that sounds to low. 3 is closer to what I've heard earlier.

5 + 3 should leave you with a good margin, or what?

Old May 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1359
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
A half serious source I found (fotoboks.info), but they quoted more serious sources. Another source reports 2 km, but that sounds to low. 3 is closer to what I've heard earlier.

5 + 3 should leave you with a good margin, or what?
Yeah, that's 8km over(5mph). Not too bad. :-)
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #1360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These margins are not presents from the police though. It's just a correction in case police radars aren't set up properly. For example slight curves can already influence police radar measurements. The radar itself may be very accurate, but the setup may not be, especially with mobile speed traps.

Tags
norway