daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1441
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

I don't get why they won't build full standard motorway while at it. Seems like they're creating some true traffic knots with some of those roundabouts.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1442
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

IceCheese this is Norway, who knows what or why such daft decisions are made.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #1443
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Also, this isn't really a bypass.

The stupidity in Norwegian road planning is not the fact that they build sub/mixed-standard roads. It's the underlying regulations and rules that gives us wonderful three-lane roads and roundabouts where everyone knows that there should be motorway standard and grade separated junctions, because the traffic volume eventually will demand it.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1444
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Some days old, but Høyre wants to lower the AaDT needed to build motorways from 12 000 to 8 000.

It's better than today, but still far away from ambitious.

Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #1445
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Gudbrandsdalen / E6 continue to be closed, however. Here is an image from yesterday:
And I keep getting told that owning vehicles from North America isn't that great, numbers wise. The owner of that Chevy/GMC is gonna need to get the diff oil replaced after driving in that.
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #1446
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

There are quite a few American vehicles, mainly the the drivng wheel on the left hand side in the UK. There are Ford Expeditions or something like that that are right hand drive though
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #1447
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

I don't think he was asking for Britain, but yeah we see some American vehicles around, especially in farm-dominated lands as the picture from the Gudbrandsdalen-area shows.

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #1448
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
And I keep getting told that owning vehicles from North America isn't that great, numbers wise. The owner of that Chevy/GMC is gonna need to get the diff oil replaced after driving in that.
Luckily these conditions are not normal on Norwegian highways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
Some days old, but Høyre wants to lower the AaDT needed to build motorways from 12 000 to 8 000.

It's better than today, but still far away from ambitious.

That map seems more like a summary of the situation today rather than a projection for 2023. Nothing is new under the sun. For the construction of new roads the 30 years perspective (i.e. 2041) is relevant in Norway. I.e., 8000 AADT will cover larger parts of the network then what is shown here.

I guess this would be an improvment, but Høyre should start looking at connections at a national level as well, just like FrP (which in many other areas are quite irresponsible, IMO). Then new connections should not necessarily be built where the traffic is highest today, but where the routes are most suitable for connecting the different regions of (southern) Norway together.
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1449
MKA123

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
So much for barriers...

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/n...elag/1.7667051
A wheel on the trailer punctured and the trailer went right through the barrier who is supposed to withstand cars hitting it in 150 km/h.
That's just beside where I live!

But, it's a miracle we got center barriers at this stretch at all. In the middle of the 2000s they built a new stretch of E6 just here, but center barriers where initially planned for just half the stretch (the four-line stretch). Luckily, the transport minister decided to build the whole stretch with center barriers after all (http://nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nrk_t...g/3819750.html).
MKA123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #1450
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Study for roads in Kristiansand recommends a new 4-lane expressway bypass aswell as new airport road and extension of Fv456 Expressway:

http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/239317/binary/443148
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #1451
bogdymol
bogdymod

A Romanian guy is visiting Norway these days. Here is a nice video made by him on Norwegian roads:

video source
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1452
Ingenioren

^ Fv64 Atlanterhavsvegen - also one of the national tourist routes

After terror attacks highways are back to normal, even the 4-lane road Ring1 passing under government block open again for traffic.

Temporary E16 passing Utavika across the sound from Utøya is open, but still recommended to avoid. Bad luck for this important highway, first the collapse of Nestunnel on the expressway (will open fully rehabilitated next year.) then rockslides on the only alternative road before the attacks again closed it.

Border checks are no longer strict. Untill monday every car was checked and passengers questioned making bordercrossing a delay for hours during peak.

Last edited by Ingenioren; July 27th, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:16 AM   #1453
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
^ Fv64 Atlanterhavsvegen - also one of the national tourist routes
And one of the few toll roads in the area where they removed the toll when the route was paid for; it was also paid off about 5 years earlier than expected.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:28 AM   #1454
Victorinus
GOES - NL

Likes (Received): 343

Some pictures from my holiday a month ago.

Victorinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #1455
Ingenioren

Quote:
Originally Posted by essenze View Post
A couple of aerial photographies from Statens Vegvesen of the project:

Western part / Møllenberg tunnel entrance:

Eastern part / Strindheim tunnel entrances and the 3-level intersection:
Reposting these from the local forum. It's part of Trondheims Northern expressway.

In other news: Vegvesen has made a recommendation for Rv35 from E134 to Jevnaker - the road is nicknamed Ring4 - since it works as a bypass off for Oslo area. Suggestion is to build a 4-lane motorway (100km/h) From E134) - Vikersund and 2/3-lanes (90km/h) Vikersund - E16. Widening of joint section with E16 to 4-lanes (80km/h) and from E16 to Jevnaker 2/3-lanes (90km/h):
http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/253406/binary/454016

Last edited by Ingenioren; August 16th, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1456
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
In other news: Vegvesen has made a recommendation for Rv35 from E134 to Jevnaker - the road is nicknamed Ring4 - since it works as a bypass off for Oslo area. Suggestion is to build a 4-lane motorway (100km/h) From E134) - Vikersund and 2/3-lanes (90km/h) Vikersund - E16. Widening of joint section with E16 to 4-lanes (80km/h) and from E16 to Jevnaker 2/3-lanes (90km/h):
http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/253406/binary/454016
Nice, I drove that route from end to end this summer, and it seems as road with potential, but terribly outdated. The worst part is from north/east of Jevnaker to common stretch with Rv4, but it may be an other plan fixing that?

There should also be a new shortcut from Maura to Råholt, making it more attractive for people on their way to E6 northwards, and opposite.

Last edited by IceCheese; August 16th, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1457
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

A far outer bypass of the whole Oslo Region is a good idea. There are plans for a similar approach here in Sweden as well with Riksväg 55 from Uppsala to Norrköping bypassing the Stockholm region ( http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riksväg_55 ).
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #1458
katia72

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
A far outer bypass of the whole Oslo Region is a good idea. There are plans for a similar approach here in Sweden as well with Riksväg 55 from Uppsala to Norrköping bypassing the Stockholm region ( http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riksväg_55 ).

What is needed is a new (RING 4) around Oslo, similar to that in Berlin or other major cities in Europe .... but this is never going to happen: (

Last edited by katia72; August 16th, 2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
katia72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #1459
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

At least plans are made that are more less sensibel around Oslo. In my part of the world, politicians still believe having the main road straight through the every small village is a good thing. A new E6 straight through Oppdal was recently approved (a block or so from the old). Now villagers in Berkåk (E6, http://rennebu.arbeiderparti.no/-/bu...entrum?ref=mst ) and Alvdal (rv 3, http://www.ostlendingen.no/nyheter/n...rv-3-1.6336907) is fighting to get a similar deal. The worst part is that they probably get their will.

At least there is some decent scenery when driving in Norway. This guy moved from Bergen to Trondheim and filmed the entire van drive:

He filmed a lot of the scenery as he drove along, but quite frankly that is a lot more interesting than the Norwegian roads anyway.

The guy seems to have chosen E16 to Lærdal, crossing Sognefjorden with a ferry to Kaupanger and then taking rv 55 (Sognefjellet) to Lom and then E6 nortwards. That is a doable with a van during summer. However, with a smaller car a ferry free and more interesting alternative would be to continue from Lærdal towards Øvre Årdal and then take the spectacular, steep, winding and very narrow Tindevegen....

Both Sognefjellet and Tindevegen is closed during winter, btw, and at least the latter should not be attempted with any longer vehicle.
Old August 20th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #1460
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Beautiful roads!
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway