daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1561
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

A pedestrian was killed on one of those sidewalks earlier this year. Motorway-like road + sidewalks are deathtraps!

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1562
jeremiash

Likes (Received): 74

Whaaaaat, how come your posts are in the order in which they are? Quoting from the future should be forbidden unless there was some editing.....
jeremiash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #1563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I actually posted it 3 minutes later, but the forum syncing got riled up.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1564
gmacruyff

Likes (Received): 1416

The reason Norway doesnt develop a lot more roads is MONEY.Now if you decide to join the European Union,you would about 1/2 billion euros,immediately.Thats what Romania and Bulgaria got since joining in 2007.
gmacruyff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1565
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Norway would get close to nothing from cohesion and infrastructure funds by joining the EU. They will likely become a net payer like the Netherlands and Germany immediately.
Old October 14th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #1566
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

We already are...

Old October 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1567
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Ferry free E39

Vegvesen is now searching for off-shore engineers to help them develop new solutions for fjordcrossings:

Combination floating bridge - tube bridge:

Preliminary project will consider technical feasabilty of all national fjordcrossings on E39 aswell as effects on the community, potential for renevable energy and contractforms, the study will be published during the winter.
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #1568
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacruyff View Post
The reason Norway doesnt develop a lot more roads is MONEY.Now if you decide to join the European Union,you would about 1/2 billion euros,immediately.Thats what Romania and Bulgaria got since joining in 2007.
Money is not a problem for Norway, the reason why Norway doesn't build more roads is due to politics. Norway has trillions of NOK stashed away, they just don't want to use it hence the reason why Norway's road and rail infrastructure is old, and in poor condition.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #1569
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Are there toll booths in every road that enter in Oslo or you have to buy a vignette to drive in the city? I guess the second options, the first would be absurd and would generate huge jams.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #1570
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
19 km of new E6 motorway opens November 4th. The stretch lies just north of Gardermoen airport, and is part of the Gardermoen - Lillehammer-project. Stretch will have two toll booths.

This alignment shows jordvern (saving precious Norwegian farmland) in practice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
A pedestrian was killed on one of those sidewalks earlier this year. Motorway-like road + sidewalks are deathtraps!
Agree, but this is not a motorway. In any case, I don't understand why there are sidewalks there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Norway would get close to nothing from cohesion and infrastructure funds by joining the EU. They will likely become a net payer like the Netherlands and Germany immediately.
Not an expert, but I thought at least Sweden got some funds for development of remote regions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Are there toll booths in every road that enter in Oslo or you have to buy a vignette to drive in the city? I guess the second options, the first would be absurd and would generate huge jams.
Vignettes and toll boots are so yesterday. We have hade automated tolling for decades now in Norway. Currently many of the toll points, including most of the urban toll rings, have skipped the manual payment option altogether. If you don't have the right chip (i.e. autopass) you are fotographed, and if they can, they will bill you the toll afterwards instead,
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #1571
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacruyff View Post
Norway would be one of the wealthiest members of the EU if it joined, therefore it would surely be a net donor to the Union. I suspect that is one of the reasons membership has been unattractive to them.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1572
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, profiting from being in the European Union is slightly more than just the paying / receiving ratio. The Netherlands is one of the wealthiest countries without significant natural resources, we get it all from trade, most of which is with other EU countries.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #1573
sotonsi

but would Norway gain? it gets the trade anyway via EFTA, at a far lower cost.

If it's just a net profit thing, the EU isn't worth being in if you are a rich nation without a specific way to get it back (eg France via CAP) - by their own figures, it makes the economy smaller in the UK, as the extra trade is offset (massively) via the cost of the regulations the EU demands.

I'd imagine that Norway's fishing industry will collapse, like the UK's from the CFP - though the EU might change that as a sweetener to Iceland, who look set to block any accession referendum by about 2 persons to 1, so it might be offered to Norway (or perhaps even to try and keep the UK in, if the referendum bill being read tomorrow ends up passing despite threats of whips trying to stop MPs voting for something that was in the manifestos of all three main parties) if they think about joining.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #1574
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Agree, but this is not a motorway. In any case, I don't understand why there are sidewalks there.
As I said, it's "motorway-like". With the ramps and current alignment, it is at motorway-standard, and is very much percieveable by motorists as a free-way road, so something has obviously been done wrong when they keep (or built in the first place) the sidewalks. If not anything else, sign it 60, or paint/fence the sidewalks, I don't care, but this road should be changed now!

Old October 20th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1575
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Sorry, I'll try to read more carefully next time. I fully agree with you, BTW, and for some reasons these sidewalks are found along a couple of other similar roads in the Oslo area as well. It should be fairly simple to do something about it.

However, there are worse examples in the world. In Australia I was pretty shocked to see that they used the shoulders of freeways as bicycle lanes....
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM   #1576
NorthStar77
Born to run

In England, around Ipswich, or between Ipswich and Stanstead, I once saw a pedestrian crossing on a motorway. And there was no traffic-light either, just a sign saying pedestrian crossing ahead.
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM   #1577
sotonsi

There's no motorway in that part of England - there's one near Stansted, but you wouldn't have gone on it. Ipswich is at least 50 miles from a motorway.

In fact it seems like you are talking about the very poor section of dual carriageway (compared to the fairly decent ones around it) between Ipswich and Colchester that goes through villages, has a couple of at grade junctions with a gap to turn right (plus lots of driveways/small roads that have access to the road). Either that, or the single carriageway A120.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM   #1578
NorthStar77
Born to run

I think it was A12. Whatever you call it, it had 2 lanes in each direction was quite trafficated at the time and traffic was flowing in about 100 km/h.
Old October 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1579
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
I don't understand why there are sidewalks there.
It's part of Vegvesen main cycleroute Karihaugen - downtown - removing the sidewalk part is planned here after a new bikeroad is built. The same is going to happend with Ring3 sidewalks eventually.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1580
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77 View Post
I think it was A12. Whatever you call it, it had 2 lanes in each direction was quite trafficated at the time and traffic was flowing in about 100 km/h.
Dual Carriageway (Basically a divided highway that has SOME at grade intersections). The Canadian Provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba have several highways of this type. Alberta however, is upgrading these highways to full Motorway standard.

Tags
norway