daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #1741
Grauthue
Registered User
 
Grauthue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oslo
Posts: 273
Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Quite sad that there isn't much improvement in Norway's infrastructure. I just don't get it, high taxes, enormous capital (oil) and on top of that, tolls. Should be all that's needed for good roads - even with "difficult terrain". The few motorways in Norway are of good quality though - but you can only drive at 100 km/h.

Is the political opposition in Norway demanding better infrastructure? A change is needed.
Well, truth of the matter is that people like to complain (that includes me). We like to bitch about how bad the norwegian roads are (which is true). But it is also true that the pace after year 2000 has been better when it comes to road construction. Not a revolution, but for 2012 Norway is planning to spend about twice as much money per capita for road investments as Sweden according to road tzar Terje Moe Gustavsen.

(Sweden probably gets a good bit more for the money they spend though).
Grauthue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #1742
Schweden
Registered Loser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barcelona/Gothenburg
Posts: 558
Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauthue View Post
Well, truth of the matter is that people like to complain (that includes me). We like to bitch about how bad the norwegian roads are (which is true). But it is also true that the pace after year 2000 has been better when it comes to road construction. Not a revolution, but for 2012 Norway is planning to spend about twice as much money per capita for road investments as Sweden according to road tzar Terje Moe Gustavsen.

(Sweden probably gets a good bit more for the money they spend though).
Great read! Although this kinda proves my point:
Quote:
Bompenger betaler omtrent halvparten av ny veibygging i Norge.
What Norweigan politicians fails to realise is the connection between good infrastructure and economic growth. If you invest money from your oil funds in building proper infrastructure, these projects will generate money in the end.

Last edited by Schweden; January 9th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1743
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly
 
IceCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada is my city
Posts: 7,223
Likes (Received): 919

Local newspaper Østlandets blad seems pretty convinced that a new tunnel beside the old one, is the only real option to get heavy traffic back in the Oslofjord tunnel (Rv23). According to various sources, they seem to think construction may start already in a couple of years, with an estimated construction period of ~5 years.

Link to article: http://www.oblad.no/badebyen/vil-byg...elen-1.6707423
__________________
Oslo/Copenhagen - The True Capital of Scandinavia.


Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #1744
devo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 221
Likes (Received): 41

Just saw that. Seems crazy that this might be "just" five years away. Should've been built like that in the first place though. Also, it should be motorway all the way to Drammen.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1745
Ingenioren
Registered User
 
Ingenioren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo
Posts: 5,604
Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
estimated construction period of ~5 years.
Construction period 2014-2017 - just to be clear...
__________________
I want to see some construction!
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1746
KiwiRob
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,366
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Quite sad that there isn't much improvement in Norway's infrastructure. I just don't get it, high taxes, enormous capital (oil) and on top of that, tolls. Should be all that's needed for good roads - even with "difficult terrain". The few motorways in Norway are of good quality though - but you can only drive at 100 km/h.

Is the political opposition in Norway demanding better infrastructure? A change is needed.
No the situation is the average Norwegian just accepts that this is the state of affairs and believe that things will never change, they also never complain about it.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1747
KiwiRob
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,366
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauthue View Post
Well, truth of the matter is that people like to complain (that includes me). We like to bitch about how bad the norwegian roads are (which is true). But it is also true that the pace after year 2000 has been better when it comes to road construction. Not a revolution, but for 2012 Norway is planning to spend about twice as much money per capita for road investments as Sweden according to road tzar Terje Moe Gustavsen.

(Sweden probably gets a good bit more for the money they spend though).
Really I've been living here for 6 years now, Norwegians may complain at home but they don't make enough noise for the govt to listen.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #1748
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly
 
IceCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada is my city
Posts: 7,223
Likes (Received): 919

A route has been chosen for E18 Vinterbro - Akershus border, which is the second last part of E18 Vinterbro - Swedish border. The road will be built at full motorway standard, following alternative 3A4. This video illustrate the alternative:



The route includes two short tunnels, and new exits to Ås and Kråkstad.

When they will actually start building, is a more uncertain point, but they may start already 2014, if someone come over some money.
__________________
Oslo/Copenhagen - The True Capital of Scandinavia.


Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1749
JeremyCastle
Registered User
 
JeremyCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 169
Likes (Received): 2

So, I went over to a car mechanic shop today to get a quote on an oil change, and they quoted me NOK 1000! That's £109 or $168.00. Freaking unbelievable! That is almost 4 and half times the price I would pay my local mechanic to do it in the UK, and 6-8 times more than what I would pay back in California!

I managed a polite "thank you" to the gentleman wielding the calculator and whispered to one of the customers, who was helping me with some translation "I think I might just do it myself." She smiled.

I thought they would charge somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 for an oil change, but 1000??? Really??? REALLY????? Is that a normal price, or is this a Norwegian reality I simply must get used too?

Maybe I should do it myself. I'm pretty sure I can buy an oil filter, oil, oil filter remover, and an oil catcher can for much less than that. All I need to do is find a place who will take the used oil. :-/
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1750
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,571
Likes (Received): 19362

Doesn't sound too weird to me. Motor oil in the Netherlands can easily cost more than € 10 per liter, so if your car requires 5 or 6 liters, that's € 60 - 70 + filters + old oil removal tax + salary, so just over € 100 is not that weird considering a Norwegian mechanic probably has the highest salary in the world.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1751
SeanT
DK/H
 
SeanT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DK-Bjæverskov
Posts: 791
Likes (Received): 63

The same in Denmark. I always do it myself. I buy oil (4 l) around 400 ( midprice) filter 100 (original) dkk. It takes 30 min. , no stress! Than I can take the used oil and deliver it a nearby station for renovation (2 km) for free! If the price was like dkk 600, -, I wouldn't bother!
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1752
ElviS77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 564
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Doesn't sound too weird to me. Motor oil in the Netherlands can easily cost more than € 10 per liter, so if your car requires 5 or 6 liters, that's € 60 - 70 + filters + old oil removal tax + salary, so just over € 100 is not that weird considering a Norwegian mechanic probably has the highest salary in the world.
True. Decent motor oil isn't cheap, mechanics aren't either up here.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #1753
JeremyCastle
Registered User
 
JeremyCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 169
Likes (Received): 2

Well, I guess it's off to Biltema/Bilxtra/mekonomen then... Sigh.

Actually, I just remembered that I brought an oil filter with me from the UK for such a time as this. Next time I go to the UK, might just have to bring back a few more with me.

I wonder how much tax revenue the Norwegian government loses for having prices/taxes too high so people end up bringing stuff up from other countries? But that is a topic for another thread on another board. :-)
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #1754
ElviS77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 564
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
I wonder how much tax revenue the Norwegian government loses for having prices/taxes too high so people end up bringing stuff up from other countries? But that is a topic for another thread on another board. :-)
Well, there's a wee bit lost, but when push comes to show, not all that much to worry about. Norway is a pretty big country, and the cost and bother of transporting yourself to and from a foreign country - even Sweden - makes most people reluctant to do such things on a regular basis. Unless you live reasonably close to the Swedish border and there's a decent-sized population centre on just that opposite side of the border, of course.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1755
KiwiRob
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,366
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post

I wonder how much tax revenue the Norwegian government loses for having prices/taxes too high so people end up bringing stuff up from other countries? But that is a topic for another thread on another board. :-)
I heard recently that Norwegians are spending 1 billion NOK per week in Sweden.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1756
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,571
Likes (Received): 19362

Töcksfors, Sweden. It has a shopping center that has more parking spaces than the town has inhabitants. Oh, it's right across the border from Norway.

http://www.thonshopping.se/tocksfors
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1757
ElviS77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 564
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Töcksfors, Sweden. It has a shopping center that has more parking spaces than the town has inhabitants. Oh, it's right across the border from Norway.

http://www.thonshopping.se/tocksfors
And that is of course one of the areas where the border trade is of some importance. Svinesund is even more important.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:33 AM   #1758
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,791
Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Töcksfors, Sweden. It has a shopping center that has more parking spaces than the town has inhabitants. Oh, it's right across the border from Norway.

http://www.thonshopping.se/tocksfors
Similar places exist close to the border on E6 and 61(S)/2(N).

In fact, that sort of commerce is rather common at the borders of Norway, Sweden and Finland. Sometimes, the shops are temporary ones, and they may move across to border if the prices change because of changes in taxes or for some other reason.

For example, there is a huge shop in Kilpisjärvi, Finland, which is a tiny village of 100+ people. The shop sells especially meat to Norwegians. Then, the sales of alcohol per capita in the municipality of Utsjoki is about five times as much as the average elsewere in Finland. The reason for those figures is the alcohol shop in the border village of Nuorgam serving half of the northernmost Norway.

The balance is always moving in the twin city of Tornio and Haaparanta at the Finnish-Swedish border. Currently, the Swedes travel to Tornio to buy fuel (cheaper) and alcohol (better sortiment), and the Finns travel to Haparanda because of furniture (Ikea) and food (cheaper).
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:20 PM   #1759
JeremyCastle
Registered User
 
JeremyCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 169
Likes (Received): 2

So, a couple of months ago, as I was driving away from our apartment building, some road authorities people stopped us(vegvesen, the ministry that handles the roads in Norway) and asked us if our parking lot is usually full of cars. We told the guy no, it isn't(we have a public parking lot that has spaces for around 15 cars but only about 4-6 cars use it). Now, every 2 weeks or so, they have their grayish/orange van on our parking lot and they are stopping people who are going too "fast"(that's laughable), or are seen with a non working light, directing their vehicle to our parking lot where they are ticketed and/or talked to.

First, I hope they didn't take what I said as permission to start using the parking lot as their roving base of operations. I am not the owner of the property. In Norway, do the road authorities people have the right to use private property without getting permission from the property owners to do what they are doing? I think that in Most(if not all) US States, that they are not allowed to use private property.

Second, how come I see these guys(I have yet to see a woman)way more than the police? They seem to have powers that are similar to the police, which irks me for some reason. If these guys want to be police, let them be police, but somehow it annoys me that these guys get to act like demi-police(yes, I know I'm silly).

Norwegians, your comments?

Last edited by JeremyCastle; January 23rd, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1760
ElviS77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 564
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
So, a couple of months ago, as I was driving away from our apartment building, some road authorities people stopped us(vegvesen, the ministry that handles the roads in Norway) and asked us if our parking lot is usually full of cars. We told the guy no, it isn't(we have a public parking lot that has spaces for around 15 cars but only about 4-6 cars use it). Now, every 2 weeks or so, they have their grayish/orange van on our parking lot and they are stopping people who are going too "fast"(that's laughable), or are seen with a non working light, directing their vehicle to our parking lot where they are ticketed and/or talked to.

First, I hope they didn't take what I said as permission to start using the parking lot as their roving base of operations. I am not the owner of the property. In Norway, do the road authorities people have the right to use private property without getting permission from the property owners to do what they are doing? I think that in Most(if not all) US States, that they are not allowed to use private property.

Second, how come I see these guys(I have yet to see a woman)way more than the police? They seem to have powers that are similar to the police, which irks me for some reason. If these guys want to be police, let them be police, but somehow it annoys me that these guys get to act like demi-police(yes, I know I'm silly).

Norwegians, your comments?
The simple answer is no, they don't have police power and cannot fine anyone for anything, most certainly not for speeding. They may check the state of cars, mechanically speaking, and they are empowered to remove plates from cars deemed unsafe (unless I'm gravely mistaken).

When it comes to the use of private property, I'm less sure about the rules. I would imagine, though, that the police are allowed to do random checks from privately owned roads etc, but I'm far from certain.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
norway

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium