daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1761
devo

Likes (Received): 41

The road law (?) applies to any vehicle, on any road, private or public. For instance, you can not drive a car across uncultivated land/«utmark», basically where there are no roads. Secondly, you can not break any speed limits or drive without your belt on private (even your own) roads. So yes, they can check you from, and on, private roads, but these are highly theoretical edge cases.

Land ownership is not very strong in Norway, so I'll guess that doing these checks from a parking lot is OK, as long as they don't break the regulations for the parking lot in question. Like not paying for parking, or taking up space for those who are supposed to park there.

That's probably why they asked.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1762
ChrisBerg91
The Newbe

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
The simple answer is no, they don't have police power and cannot fine anyone for anything, most certainly not for speeding. They may check the state of cars, mechanically speaking, and they are empowered to remove plates from cars deemed unsafe (unless I'm gravely mistaken).

When it comes to the use of private property, I'm less sure about the rules. I would imagine, though, that the police are allowed to do random checks from privately owned roads etc, but I'm far from certain.
That's where you are wrong. The Statens Vegvesen (The Norwegian Public Roads Administration) are alowed to fine anyone that breaks the speed limit, or any other rules on the road, but they need a confirmation from the police in any operation they have. They may also cooperate with the police, or there may be a sivil uniformed police with them when they operate.
ChrisBerg91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1763
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Video from the E18 Larvik - Porsgrunn opening in june:

http://www.op.no/bil/article5987974.ece
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1764
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 920

I thought I we were going off the bridge at 1:57!

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1765
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Am I correct in guessing that Lithuanian truckers are no longer welcome in Norway are no longer welcome after that spectacular wreck where both the truck and the wrecker went over the bank.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1766
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Am I correct in guessing that Lithuanian truckers are no longer welcome in Norway are no longer welcome after that spectacular wreck where both the truck and the wrecker went over the bank.
That issue does not apply to Lithuanians only but trucks coming from all the eastern European countries. About every sixth of those is said to be in a miserable condition.

The trucks usually have summer tyres only, no chains, and the drivers are not skillful enough to drive at the winter conditions.

That Lithuanian hero had put chains on one tyre only.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1767
devo

There will never be a ban on trucks from a specific country, but they are hitting hard on trucks coming from ferries, especially here in Kristiansand, where I live. There are obviously more bad stuff from some countries, but everyone is checked. One time a smart guy tried to drive away from the control post, but got stuck on the hill leading up to E 39 from the ferry terminal. He wasn't going anywhere.

Also, remember that this Lithuanian man is still recovering in hospital. The winter conditions we have in Norway are really not good for heavy trucks, especially on the roads we have some places. And it does not help that some drivers choose long detours on small roads just to avoid tolls.

I say, given the circumstances, that the employers have the responsibility for this mess that happens every year. However, there would have been less mess if the government made sure that the roads were as good as they could be.
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1768
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo
There will never be a ban on trucks from a specific country, but they are hitting hard on trucks coming from ferries, especially here in Kristiansand, where I live. There are obviously more bad stuff from some countries, but everyone is checked. One time a smart guy tried to drive away from the control post, but got stuck on the hill leading up to E 39 from the ferry terminal. He wasn't going anywhere.

Also, remember that this Lithuanian man is still recovering in hospital. The winter conditions we have in Norway are really not good for heavy trucks, especially on the roads we have some places. And it does not help that some drivers choose long detours on small roads just to avoid tolls.

I say, given the circumstances, that the employers have the responsibility for this mess that happens every year. However, there would have been less mess if the government made sure that the roads were as good as they could be.
Since they can't ban trucks regarding their nationality, they can ban trucks that don't meet certain safety standards (like chains or winter tyres in winter) and close small roads to heavy vehicles.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1769
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Since they can't ban trucks regarding their nationality, they can ban trucks that don't meet certain safety standards (like chains or winter tyres in winter) and close small roads to heavy vehicles.
It's quite bizarre that winter tyres aren't mandatory in the winter months up here. The law does state, however, that your vehicle needs to be able to deal with the conditions on the road. The issue with many smaller roads is that they're often the only link for smaller communities to the outside world, and a ban on lorries would seriously complicate things for trade and industry in these areas (lumber trucks is one such example, there are many others). A ban on transit traffic might work better, but even that may cause considerable problems in some areas.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1770
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

You can ban and mandate this and that, but it all comes down to enforcement, which is quite hard in such a sparsely populated country. I'm sure the police has better things to do than check every back road for foreign trucks not having the right equipment.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1771
nealc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

It would be easy to enforce in Norway, there are only so many ways of getting into the country, most would probably come via ferry, it's easy to police the ferry ports or they cross the border from Sweden, traffic from Sweden would also come via a limited number of routes which could also be easily policed. I'm sure the Swedes also have issues with foreign trucks with incorrect tyres.
nealc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1772
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
That issue does not apply to Lithuanians only but trucks coming from all the eastern European countries. About every sixth of those is said to be in a miserable condition.

The trucks usually have summer tyres only, no chains, and the drivers are not skillful enough to drive at the winter conditions.

That Lithuanian hero had put chains on one tyre only.
Do the customs at the finnish/russian border have auto inspection where they test the brakes on russian trucks before they are allowed to enter ?
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1773
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Do the customs at the finnish/russian border have auto inspection where they test the brakes on russian trucks before they are allowed to enter ?
The Finnish-Russian border is the external border to the EU and to the Schengen area. That is why the controls are strict, including assessing the technical condition of the vehicles. The Russian transport companies know the policy, and they do not try to enter Finland with bad vehicles. Thus, the Russians are nowadays not a problem.

Much of the goods traffic takes place across the sea as an intra-Schengen traffic. There is no possibility to inspect every vehicle at the ports. This opens the gates to the questionable trucks coming from the east European countries being members of the EU. I think the situation is similar in the Swedish and Norwegian ports, too.
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1774
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That particular incident happened at the road 78, if I understood correctly, thus being a part of the main road network. Many main roads in Norway are challenging even in the summer conditions but you cannot block those, of course.
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #1775
treichard

Likes (Received): 0

Recently, Norway and Sweden agreed to reroute E16 so that it would turn east toward Sweden instead of reaching Oslo as it has for years. Has Norway signed the new E16 so that motorists can follow it by signs, or are there still issues to resolve before the relocation occurs?
http://cmap.m-plex.com/
treichard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1776
devo

The signing is supposed to be finished this year, but there are no issues less than actually putting the signs up, as far as I understand. What I do not understand though, is why they will leave the part from Hønefoss to Sandvika as E 16. It is by any standards far to long to be called a "spur". Also, they could just call it Riksvei/Fylkesvei 7 and be done with it. We just got rid of the stupid dual-E 6 business in Trondheim so this one I really don't get...
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #1777
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 920

Perhaps they had to do it to make Oslo a signed destination? I don't know the E-route rules, though...

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1778
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
The signing is supposed to be finished this year, but there are no issues less than actually putting the signs up, as far as I understand. What I do not understand though, is why they will leave the part from Hønefoss to Sandvika as E 16. It is by any standards far to long to be called a "spur". Also, they could just call it Riksvei/Fylkesvei 7 and be done with it. We just got rid of the stupid dual-E 6 business in Trondheim so this one I really don't get...
Without that kludge it would be difficult to justify E16 being The Road connecting the two largest cities in Norway.

In my opinion, the whole system of E roads should be ramped down. It does not add much value any more, but it makes things complex because every single member country implements it differently. Why should the United Nations bother about numbering the European roads.
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1779
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Rv13 Ryfast

Plans for Ryfast has been approved by the government, so we are set to start construction this fall on the two twin-tube sub-sea tunnels. The 5,7km long Hundvåg tunnel will ramp of from a new E39 tunnel under central Stavanger, then the road runs trough a surface round-about before the 14,3km long Solbakk tunnel that reaches 290 meters below sea-level (longest and deepest sub-sea car tunnel). Construction cost is 690 million euro and the states share is 0%. Tolls for cars are expected at 32 euro for Solbakk tunnel and 3,7 euro for Hundvåg tunnel.

Opening is scheduled for 2018.

http://www.regjeringen.no/nb/dep/sd/...html?id=682020
http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/63332/binary/18254

Last edited by Ingenioren; May 11th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #1780
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yowtzha that's an impressive project. The tolls are steep though... why can't the Norwegian government provide good infrastructure with the $ 500 billion+ oil fund? The interest on that fund alone could provide an excellent transportation system.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway