daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1801
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

New undersea mega-project for Norway: http://tunneltalk.com/Norway-Jun12-S...es-forward.php (Solbakk and Hundvåg tunnels)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1802
bogdymol
bogdymod

Awesome driving video!

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #1803
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Awesome driving video!

Wow, this is the coolest ride!!!
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #1804
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

11 kilometers of full-standard motorway opened on E18 between Langangen in Telemark and Sky in Vestfold (part of mainroute Oslo-Kristiansand).
Video can be seen here: http://www.tu.no/bygg/2012/06/01/slik-blir-nye-e18
http://www.bygg.no/2012/06/90162.0

Two projects are still remaining until all of E18 through Vestfold has motorway standard in 2016.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1805
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

The Aftenposten newspaper has published a few driving videos on its web tv service. Quite interesting.

http://www.aftenposten.no/webtv/Fra-...u-6942543.html
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1806
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

What Norwegian highway sections remain with a concrete surface? There's a stretch north of Gardermoen that I know of. Any new concrete roads in recent years?
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1807
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

I don't think there has ever been a practice to pave Norwegian roads, certainly not motorways, with concrete. The Gardermoen-stretch is an exception, but I can't remember why (other that they couldn't bother to change it when the motorway was built).
They had a trial with "super-concrete" at E39 in Eidsvåg, Bergen some years ago, but it was later removed.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:32 PM   #1808
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
I don't think there has ever been a practice to pave Norwegian roads, certainly not motorways, with concrete. The Gardermoen-stretch is an exception, but I can't remember why (other that they couldn't bother to change it when the motorway was built).
They had a trial with "super-concrete" at E39 in Eidsvåg, Bergen some years ago, but it was later removed.
I do not think concrete pavements in Norway would be any better success than in Finland. After several serious attempts and research projects, the idea has been abandoned in Finland. It is not possible to create a road base structure rigid enough, with reasonable costs, to survive the winter (or to be precise, the spring). The melting ice always causes some deformation to the base, thus cracking the inflexible concrete structure.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1809
Swedway
Globetrotter

Likes (Received): 7

In Sweden there are several stretches of concrete pavement on motorways. E4 north of Uppsala, E20 east of Eskilstuna and E6 in Halland.
Swedway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1810
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
It was never common, but as I recall there were more of them 20+ years ago than now.

Looks like they abandoned the concept many years ago. I don't think they even make them inside tunnels any more, where concrete would seem to have even greater advantage given that it's incombustible, as apposed to asfalt which will burn at high temperatures. Frost and increased road noise wouldn't be a problem there either.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1811
albiman

Likes (Received): 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Awesome driving video!

Sh*t! What a calm, sunny beach I would have pooped myself if one of those waves had hit my car.

Btw very nice video.
albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:24 AM   #1812
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedway View Post
In Sweden there are several stretches of concrete pavement on motorways. E4 north of Uppsala, E20 east of Eskilstuna and E6 in Halland.
But not without problems in Sweden either: The newspaper Dagens Nyheter tells today that a 14 km long stretch of the northbound E4 at Uppsala will be closed for reparations for several weeks next Monday. The reason is the cracked concrete pavement.

The stretch was opened in 2007, and the pavement was expected to last 40 years. The whole stretch of 24 km will be repaired.
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1813
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Does anyone on here have any updated information about the Kvivsvegen project near Volda? I know the E39 will be rerouted. I know it'll slice about 30 minutes off the 6-7 journey from Bergen to Volda which is excellent news and also eliminate 1 ferry.

Are there any plans to build a tunnel between Utvik and Byrkkelo along the rv60 allowing people to eliminate a 2nd ferry between Bergen and Volda? Also, any plans to build a bridge across Innvikkfjorden between rv15 and rv 60 on the south side of the fjord? This tunnel and bridge would really bring down travel times!
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1814
Oslo 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
It was never common, but as I recall there were more of them 20+ years ago than now.

Looks like they abandoned the concept many years ago. I don't think they even make them inside tunnels any more, where concrete would seem to have even greater advantage given that it's incombustible, as apposed to asfalt which will burn at high temperatures. Frost and increased road noise wouldn't be a problem there either.
Way back some tunnels had concrete paving; E134 Røldal tunnel is among the longest (still mostly concrete). Other tunnels with concrete paving is E16 Flenja, and the short Rv15 Byrberget. Until recently 3 tunnels between Voss and Bergen (E16) had concrete paving. They has been resurfaced with asphalt due to several accidents (the surface had become very slippery, wich has been a problem in several tunnels. E139 had a strech i Ålesund paved with concrete in 1989. NPRA had several trails with concrete paving around 25 years ago due to two reasons; one was to try out concrete paving, the other main reason was the very high cost of asphalt at the dime due to the lack of competition. The first use of concrete paving is much older thou; it was some use of concrete paving before WWII, but it was considered to expansive.
Oslo 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1815
Oslo 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Does anyone on here have any updated information about the Kvivsvegen project near Volda? I know the E39 will be rerouted. I know it'll slice about 30 minutes off the 6-7 journey from Bergen to Volda which is excellent news and also eliminate 1 ferry.

Are there any plans to build a tunnel between Utvik and Byrkkelo along the rv60 allowing people to eliminate a 2nd ferry between Bergen and Volda? Also, any plans to build a bridge across Innvikkfjorden between rv15 and rv 60 on the south side of the fjord? This tunnel and bridge would really bring down travel times!
E39 Kvivsvegen is due to open september 22. The further alignment of E39 is not decided upon yet. Major works are planed for Fv60 and will be carried throe regardless of the future plans for E39.
Oslo 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #1816
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post

The Norwegian Road Administration has an ongoing project to draw concepts on how to create a ferry-free E39 transport corridor from Kristiansand to Trondheim.

There are still eight ferry connections after the opening of Kvisvegen. In the earlier research, three of those have been seen as a mission impossible to be replaced as fixed links because of technical reasons: Boknafjorden and Bjørnafjorden are wide, and Sognefjorden is deep. The cases have been reopened to find new creative concepts, like an sub-sea "bridge", which actually is a big floating tube anchored to the seabed.

What comes to crossing Nordfjord, it is the easiest part of the project. The current alternatives are all based on suspension bridges with the span of about 1.2 kilometres, thus comparable to Hardangerbrua. The proposed locations are close to the current Lote-Anda ferry, and close to Byrkjelo. The latter ones most probably would need improving the current road over Utvikfjellet.

A good summary from last January: http://www.vegvesen.no/Vegprosjekter...ts=1350fe62b08
Old August 9th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1817
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Nice read, thanks!
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #1818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

The construction of the Vågstrand Tunnel along the E136 will likely begin in september. The new 3665 meter long tunnel will bypass a narrow and substandard section along the Romsdalfjord.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1819
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Is E16 already signed east of Oslo? I noticed RV2 will be upgraded, but RV200 from Kongsvinger to the Swedish border is rather substandard for an E-road, with often no two lanes, but just a single carriageway with no center markings dividing directions. I know some E-roads in the mountains and the far north are also substandard in this aspect, but this area around Kongsvinger isn't as mountainous or challenging.

By the way, connecting Swedish LV239 carries only 550 vehicles per day near the Norwegian border.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1820
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

No, I don't think they've started the signing yet. Eitherway, it would be reasonable to upgrade the whole stretch towards the Swedish border, I understand that they prioritize the current Rv2 instead. When Kløfta - Kongsvinger is done, they can start with Konsvinger - Sweden.

Tags
norway