daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #1921
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

The plan also includes a short stretch of Rv3. This map also shows planed speed limit on the whole stretch:

http://www.regjeringen.no/nb/dep/sd/...html?id=709702

I am extremely disappointed that they haven't been able to make roads outside all towns/centras along the route. This should've been the number 1 priority.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #1922
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

As far as I understand, the main road from Trøndelag to south-eastern Norway, E6+Rv 3, will actually bypass all towns in Sør-Trøndelag according to the selected concept, except that the status of the tiny settlement at Innset (Rv 3) seems a bit unclear. In my opinion, of course, E+Rv 3 should be built as a motorway, and the remaining settlements on E6 south of Ulsberg should be bypassed as well. Instead, they will next year start construction (multi-hundred MNOK project) of a new E6 THROUGH the town of Oppdal, they just move the road one block....

Note that this is just a choice of concept (Konseptvalgutredning). These are not detailed plans, and, more importantly, not an investment decision. Hence, the E6 / Rv 3 south of Trondheim in Sør Trøndelag county will probably never be exactly like that map shows. One problem is that the local councils have very much power in these processes in Norway, even for roads of national interest. For instance, Rennebu / Berkåk is still working to get the E6 straight through their town, using a "lower standard concept". The reason is their fear losing bussiness, which is course miniscule in the big picture. If they are not heard, the project will probably be delayed for years. Local politics is costly.....

Having said that, the main road towards Oslo (E6+Rv 3) will
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #1923
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Don't forget that these tiny towns actually want roundabouts and traffic going straight through their tiny streets to generate visitors and slow down the traffic so people will stop and spend money there. It's stupid, but I'm not completely amazed, as there are many interesting decisions made regarding roads in Norway.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #1924
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

When local revenues exceeds the value of traffic safety for children

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #1925
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Likes (Received): 1764

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Don't forget that these tiny towns actually want roundabouts and traffic going straight through their tiny streets to generate visitors and slow down the traffic so people will stop and spend money there. It's stupid, but I'm not completely amazed, as there are many interesting decisions made regarding roads in Norway.
So, they'd rather risk safety and congestion in their town?
I thought this kind of thinking happened only in my country.
rsrikanth05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #1926
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrikanth05 View Post
So, they'd rather risk safety and congestion in their town?
I thought this kind of thinking happened only in my country.
Pretty common in Norway, I'm afraid... The way I see it, that kind of thinking is a way bigger problem than not wanting to build motorways linking our main cities - we can live well with 1+1/2+1 expressways on many not-so-busy sections between Oslo and Trondheim, for instance. However, when roundabouts, lower-standard sections and even roads not bypassing villages and towns are built -at a fairly high cost, things look very differently. In places, roundabouts are even considered adequate when linking motorways with other main roads, which of course is preposterous. While I don't agree with some other members in terms of motorway construction, I do promote a proper main road network. Unfortunately, local political pressure and influence make this even more difficult than it ought to be.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1927
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

4km long section of Rv510 from Stavanger Airport to E39 opens today:

As you can see this road is built for 4-lanes, but due to symbolic politics it was decided to only open 2 lanes at this time.
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1928
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

I was wondering the same. Why is it that there is a median when only two lanes are in existence?
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #1929
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post

As you can see this road is built for 4-lanes, but due to symbolic politics it was decided to only open 2 lanes at this time.
Sounds stupid. While not really familiar with this particular stretch of road, then it wouldn't surprise me if it got upgraded to four lanes in a few years time. At huge additional cost of course. So typical Norway.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1930
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

According to Vegvesen Rv590 at the northern side of the airport runway carries 25.000 vehicles per day. It's probably somewhat lower on the new link (the counting location carries both N-S and E-W traffic), but it doesn't leave much room for traffic growth. Especially because it also serves an industrial area located off E39.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1931
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
I was wondering the same. Why is it that there is a median when only two lanes are in existence?
I don't know about this road, ut according to Norwegian road standards, roads with 8000-12000 vehicles per day shall be built like this with a median devider even if it's only 1x1. Such roads shall at given intervals be expanded to 2x1 or 2x2 to allow for overtaking.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1932
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
I don't know about this road, ut according to Norwegian road standards, roads with 8000-12000 vehicles per day shall be built like this with a median devider even if it's only 1x1. Such roads shall at given intervals be expanded to 2x1 or 2x2 to allow for overtaking.
Is that an informal standard or a regulation?
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1933
suburbicide

Quote:
Is that an informal standard or a regulation?
It's a regulation by the Norwegian Public Roads Administration which came into effect a few years ago.

The reason for the median barrier is of course traffic safety. The vast majority of traffic deaths in Norway occur in head-on collisions.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1934
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
It's a regulation by the Norwegian Public Roads Administration which came into effect a few years ago.

The reason for the median barrier is of course traffic safety. The vast majority of traffic deaths in Norway occur in head-on collisions.
I understand, but isn't it kind of dangerous to have a median with only one lane on either side?
You can't overtake a slow vehicle at all.
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #1935
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
I understand, but isn't it kind of dangerous to have a median with only one lane on either side?
You can't overtake a slow vehicle at all.
What would be dangerous about that? The only risk with this road is the obvious, ie vehicle breakdowns causing stops.

Anyway, I don't understand why they don't build 2+2 at once given that this must be the easiest terrain to build roads in all of Norway.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1936
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10017

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post

Anyway, I don't understand why they don't build 2+2 at once given that this must be the easiest terrain to build roads in all of Norway.
Because they are cheap and want to save a few NOK no matter how little sense it makes ...

Last edited by Galro; December 19th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1937
suburbicide

Quote:
What would be dangerous about that? The only risk with this road is the obvious, ie vehicle breakdowns causing stops.
It should still be possible to pass if the broken down vehicle moved to the side.

Slow-going vehicles (under 40 km/h), mopeds, bycycles not allowed on these roads. Of course you might find yourself behind someone going 50 km/h, then you'll have to wait for a 2 lane section to overtake. The road is less flexible for motorists, but the road authorities feel that road safety takes priority.

Quote:
Politics. It would cost NOK 50 million extra to build 2+2.

Here's a video of the new road after opening:

Last edited by suburbicide; December 19th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1938
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:

You can't overtake a slow moving vehicle and if there is a breakdown, you're pretty much stranded.
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1939
devo

Likes (Received): 41

They are wide enough to allow overtaking by emergency services, for instance. Not between the markings, but on the paved surface. I've actually tried this, and it's just wide enough for two cars. And this is a part of the regulation. And again symbol politics, because 4 lanes would cost no more, at least if you were to calculate the future expansion costs into the whole sum. 12,5 vs 16 meters is not a whole lot when you're pulling out the big machinery.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM   #1940
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Wow, I thought such things happened only in my part of the world.

Tags
norway