daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #181
Alvar Lavague
European citizen

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar samanlı View Post
First and third locos look like they are French made.
The second one is french made too : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCF_Class_BB_26000

The TER (last picture) is built by Bombardier, a canadian company, but probably in a french factory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorai..._capacit%C3%A9

Last edited by Alvar Lavague; November 4th, 2008 at 12:21 AM.
Alvar Lavague no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #182
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Isn't RER the suburban Paris rail network?
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #183
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

The answer is on the first post of this thread...

More info here
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #184
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
could please you show also interior photos if you can find?
A Z5300 (built from 1965 to 1975), some have been refurbished in 1979 and later:

The version refurbished in 1979:

The version refurbished in the 90's:

A Z6400 (built from 1976 to 1979) refurbished in livery "Ile de France":

A Z6400 refurbished in livery "GCO":
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...82&postcount=3

A Z20500 (built from 1988 to 1998), some have been refurbished like the Z20900:

A Z22500 (built from 1996 to 2000):

A Z20900 (built from 2001 to 2003):

A RIB refurbished:

A VB2N refurbished:

A B 82500 or AGC/BGC/BiBi between Paris and Provins (Transilien service: 95km from Paris-Gare de l'Est):

Below, trains for long-distance commuter services outside Ile de France region such as Paris-Laroche Migennes, Paris-Rouen, Paris-Amiens, Paris-Château Thierry or Paris-Le Mans so it is no more Transilien services but TER services...

A VO2N between Paris and Amiens (130km from Paris-Gare du Nord), it looks like the VB2N:

2nd class:

1st class:

EDIT: A V2N between Paris and Sens/Laroche-Migennes (112/154km from Paris-Gare de Lyon):

2nd class:

1st class:

A Z26500 or TER 2N NG between Paris and Beauvais (80km from Paris-Gare du Nord) :

Last edited by [email protected]; November 6th, 2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #185
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

wonderful pix...

I have some question.

Are all of these suburban trains currently in the service?
Doesn't Alstrom produce locomotives anymore and just focused on High speeds?
I have been to Paris but couldn't travel in France. Is the railway most dominant transporation in france (beside airways of course) or you have some intercity buses as well?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #186
[email protected]

Quote:
Are all of these suburban trains currently in the service?
Yes.

Quote:
Doesn't Alstrom produce locomotives anymore and just focused on High speeds?
No they produce locomotives like the BB27300 for VB2N refurbished trains:

Quote:
I have been to Paris but couldn't travel in France. Is the railway most dominant transporation in france (beside airways of course) or you have some intercity buses as well?
No, intercity buses are not so developed such as in UK or US...
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #187
Kuvvaci
Strange User

so, France and Germany are very similar in the terms of transportation then... Very developed railway system.
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #188
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Actually, yes: the Germans normally refer to the project as the "Magistrale Paris-Budapest". The LGV-Est is, from the perspective of EU planning, part the Trans-European Networks, namely the main rail axis France-Munich-Vienna-Budapest.

The problem is, this axis is not really taking shape. It's used as a pretext for milking EU funds, but time and again railway investments - or mere upgrades of existing lines - in Germany and Austria are taken hostage to local political pressures. A true high-speed (or, just, high capacity) axis between Paris and Budapest would surely pass such small towns as Metz, Ulm and Salzburg on dedicated new lines without having to wast precious time on the old tracks of the inner cities, but... in reality this is the case only for Metz. Conversely, global metropolises such as Ulm and Augsburg cannot be bypassed. Never ever. The mayors wouldn't accept this!
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #189
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A V2N between Paris and Chartres (90km from Paris Montparnasse (?)):
Nice pictures.
But I don't think that there are any V2N on this line. I've never seen them at Montparnasse station.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #190
convalescence

Likes (Received): 1

But there are some works on this axis in progress and in planning:

-completion of LGV est to Strasbourg
-new rhine bridge near Strasbourg
-Stuttgart 21 (includes new through station under the town instead of the dead-end station, a tunnel through the city, a tunnel from the city to the airport of Stuttgart)
-HSL Stuttgart-Ulm
-new through station in Wien (i think there's a thread about it)
convalescence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #191
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Oh, sure. You could also have added the relatively ambitious renovation strategy for the Rhine Valley Railway between Karlsruhe and Basle, part of which will be included in the "Paris-Budapest Magistrale".

What I simply meant to say is, in French eyes trans-European networks are about dedicated tracks intended for trips longer than, say, 400 km. Making a new railway line between Stuttgart and Ulm - no matter how modern, fast and expensive - is more about local transport than about Paris-Budapest. The proof is, each time you drive through a city centre you lose at least 10 minutes. Hence, if the main purpose of a new line were to get faster from the Rhine Valley to Hungary then that line would no pass through "die Ulmer Innenstadt". Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #192
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

@hans: France topography and settlement structure is very different from say the one in Austria, Southern Germany and Hungary. In Central Europe the population is very widespread withing a lot of midsized towns and cities. We have much less space, than France has, hence new rail corridors are hardly possible, so the existing ones have to be upgraded. Unlike France we don't have two or three huge metro areas and hardly anything in between (I'm exagerating, but I think you would agree). Hence it is absolutely necessary to serve cities like Ulm or Linz, to make the lines profitable and effizient. The truth is, the number of passengers who'd travel the whole distance Budapest-Paris, is rather small, compared to those who just travel a segement.

Btw. in Austria there are currently 35km of tunnels under construction which are part of the magistrale project (fitted for max speed of 250km/h). So it's a bit of a joke to claim that only France actually works on this project.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #193
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci
Is the railway most dominant transporation in france or you have some intercity buses as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
No, intercity buses are not so developed such as in UK or US...
Well, I would qualify this answer... In fact all main cities and towns are linked by railway, so yes it is the most dominant public transportation here and sometimes the only one when you want to travel to these places. But, over the last decades many small stations have been closed, particularly in the countryside (for profitability reasons), therefore the service in these areas have been replaced by coaches (offen run by SNCF).
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #194
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Do the doors of Z5300 trains fail to close ever?
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #195
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
But I don't think that there are any V2N on this line. I've never seen them at Montparnasse station.
You must be right.
Actually, I didn't recognized the railway station ; now I guess it is the "Gare de Lyon". I knew that the regions "Picardie" (Amiens), "Haute Normandie" (Rouen) and "Bourgogne" (Sens/Laroche-Migennes) owned these kind of trains and I was thinking that it was also the case for the region "Centre" (Chartres), may be it is not true...
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #196
Kuvvaci
Strange User

are all trains like these medium range trains?

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/fr/...3_10-59-10.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...l_CRW_0819.jpg
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #197
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanico View Post
Well, I would qualify this answer... In fact all main cities and towns are linked by railway, so yes it is the most dominant public transportation here and sometimes the only one when you want to travel to these places. But, over the last decades many small stations have been closed, particularly in the countryside (for profitability reasons), therefore the service in these areas have been replaced by coaches (offen run by SNCF).
Actually, I don't know what Kuvvaci exactly means by "Intercity buses" !?
I have understood his question as "Do you have some buses between Paris and Lille/Rouen/Reims... ?"
So what you say is ok but it is not a high frequency service between 2 main cities as you can find in UK (every 15mn).
What you can find in France, except these TER services, are suburban express services operated by coaches that use highways (ex Express A14, La Navette Aix-Marseille or Express Voiron/Grenoble/Crolles).
Other intercity services (for example: Grenoble-Nice, Grenoble-Genève) have a very low frequency...
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #198
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Do they still manufacture locomotives with diamond-shaped pantographs?
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #199
SeyMan
The Inhospitable Sea

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Isn't RER the suburban Paris rail network?
There are two systems: the RER and the Transilien. (but 3 RER lines: RER C, RER D and RER E are also considered part of Transilien). The system is really complicated and hard to describe in only a few words. Basically (but this is a rough approximation) RER offers more a metro style service with good frequencies and station density in the inner suburbs and some nearby outer suburbs. The Transilien go further than the RER. They tend not to stop in the inner suburbs, but once in the outer suburbs (where there's no RER service anymore) they stop frequently. The trains are quite fast and can reach 140 km/h and can travel sometimes up to 25 km or more without stopping, e.g. Paris Est - Chelles (RER E terminus), or Paris Lyon - Melun (Melun is also on the RER D line). However there are Transilien lines which do not operate like that, especially in the La Défense network.
SeyMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #200
SeyMan
The Inhospitable Sea

Likes (Received): 59

By the way, today there is a major strike and almost all Transilien and RER traffic is suspended. (except for RER A and part of RER B which don't belong to SNCF).
SeyMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport