daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #361
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
Ah, the Transilien... The suburban train system of Paris, all right? RER is another suburban train system that covers Paris like a subway.
Er ... it is a little bit more complex, but yes, basically it's right.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #362
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

This month, International Rail Journal has an article about the new regional trains for the French trains, the Régiolis project. The trains will be built by Alstom and are of the Coradia Polyvalent type. SNCF has signed a framework agreement with Alstom for the delivery of up to a 1000 trains... which is a huge amount.

Anyway, here's the article.

The original pages can be found in the IRJ online edition, March 2011, but I snapped screenshots because I consider the Flash reader app to be horrible.
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #363
aliesperet
Alfenaar!

Likes (Received): 3

Thank you for the article!
aliesperet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #364
Minato ku

I found a video of the Z50000 interior by night.

Unlike what say the title of the video, this train does not run on the RER B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
This month, International Rail Journal has an article about the new regional trains for the French trains, the Régiolis project. The trains will be built by Alstom and are of the Coradia Polyvalent type. SNCF has signed a framework agreement with Alstom for the delivery of up to a 1000 trains... which is a huge amount.

Anyway, here's the article.

The original pages can be found in the IRJ online edition, March 2011, but I snapped screenshots because I consider the Flash reader app to be horrible.
Thank you !
As I said earlier, France had a boom of the regional rail traffic in the last decade.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #365
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Externally this one reminds me the Stadler Flirt.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #366
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Speaking of which, I wonder if French regulations allow for the purchase of off-the-shelf rolling stock, such as the Stadler FLIRT, the Siemens Desiro ML or the Bombardier Talent 2.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:21 AM   #367
Minato ku

Paris suburban train
Cab ride between Saint Lazare and La Défense
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:32 AM   #368
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Speaking of which, I wonder if French regulations allow for the purchase of off-the-shelf rolling stock, such as the Stadler FLIRT, the Siemens Desiro ML or the Bombardier Talent 2.
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. However, SNCF has always ordered trains from Alstom, so it's unlikely to change.
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #369
Minato ku

ICE 3 approching Gare de l'Est
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #370
enarque illumine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Up! +1

Last edited by enarque illumine; May 24th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
enarque illumine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #371
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
ICE 3 approching Gare de l'Est
Such a nice and modern train doesn't fit those terrible, outdated station approaches at Gare de l'Est (the problem repeats with Gare de Lyon). They should build tunnels on the approaches of those stations and demolish these old, outdated bridges - or at least leave them only to commuter rail traffic.

Indeed, as I usually say, France should build a deep underground, avant-grade, minimalist station near Paris Bercy station, and build tunnels so that any HS train reaching Paris doesn't mix with local/commuter/regional traffic at all. There is nothing better than arrive at a major city via underground tracks that are modern all the way, instead of century-old tracks surrounded by derelict buildings, graffiti and very low speeds.

However, in the case of Paris, that would be also a tremendous boost to intra-European high-speed traffic for those who think it is ok to stay 7h in a train instead of 2h in a plane. Paris is the center, the critical nod of high-speed travel in Europe, but as there are 3/4 termini of high-speed services (some insist to consider Gare du Nord and Gare de L'Est as a single station although there is no tunnel or overpass linking them ), what would be otherwise a "passable" rail option like London-Lyon, Bruxelles-Genéve or Amsterdam-Orleans includes a shoddy, perilous and uncomfortable journey though Paris Metro.

Last edited by Suburbanist; May 24th, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #372
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. However, SNCF has always ordered trains from Alstom, so it's unlikely to change.
I, too, see no reasons but it is a fact that French authorities refused for SBB Flirts of Regio-S-Bahn Basel to enter ito France...
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #373
Suissetralia

Likes (Received): 67

The train looks very nice, though, and designed exclusively as a regional train for french regions, so anyway I think it would have been chosen as the winner tender over other options in equal conditions. In particular, placing the engines (electric/diesel) on the roof is a very good solution which the Stalder FLIRT does not have.
Suissetralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #374
thun

I'm not too sure about that. I could imagine that putting the engines on the roof can cause issues regarding vibrations and hence comfort. And it will certainly result in a higher centre of mass and the need for a stronger framework, i. e. a higher net weight.
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #375
Suissetralia

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post

I'm not too sure about that. I could imagine that putting the engines on the roof can cause issues regarding vibrations and hence comfort. And it will certainly result in a higher centre of mass and the need for a stronger framework, i. e. a higher net weight.
"Alstom has employed a MAN diesel engine which, together with the alternator, is fixed on an elastic mounting to the frame of the power pack. Between the power pack and the roof there is a second damping layer to further supress vibration. Alstom says that roof-mounted engines reduce interior vibration because most noise is emitted from the upper surface of the engine. Furthermore, the mounting of electrical equipment on the roof has allowed the designers to do away with most feeder pillars, another source of vibration and noise"

That's on the posted article.

I agree with the higher centre of mass, but this is a specifically-designed regional train, not a high-speed TGV, so that's not worrisome.
Suissetralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #376
aliesperet
Alfenaar!

Likes (Received): 3

Paris suburban train Cab ride between Conflans Saint Honorine and Argenteuil
aliesperet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #377
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Such a nice and modern train doesn't fit those terrible, outdated station approaches at Gare de l'Est (the problem repeats with Gare de Lyon). They should build tunnels on the approaches of those stations and demolish these old, outdated bridges - or at least leave them only to commuter rail traffic.

Indeed, as I usually say, France should build a deep underground, avant-grade, minimalist station near Paris Bercy station, and build tunnels so that any HS train reaching Paris doesn't mix with local/commuter/regional traffic at all. There is nothing better than arrive at a major city via underground tracks that are modern all the way, instead of century-old tracks surrounded by derelict buildings, graffiti and very low speeds.

However, in the case of Paris, that would be also a tremendous boost to intra-European high-speed traffic for those who think it is ok to stay 7h in a train instead of 2h in a plane. Paris is the center, the critical nod of high-speed travel in Europe, but as there are 3/4 termini of high-speed services (some insist to consider Gare du Nord and Gare de L'Est as a single station although there is no tunnel or overpass linking them ), what would be otherwise a "passable" rail option like London-Lyon, Bruxelles-Genéve or Amsterdam-Orleans includes a shoddy, perilous and uncomfortable journey though Paris Metro.
Only London and Madrid have a such link between stations :

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #378
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62789

Quote:
What would be otherwise a "passable" rail option like London-Lyon, Bruxelles-Genéve or Amsterdam-Orleans includes a shoddy, perilous and uncomfortable journey though Paris Metro.
The LGV Interconnexion Est is already used for these kind of services.

But that's past Paris, passengers can't profit from a quick change of trains in Paris that has much more services.

~~~~

About the new Régiolis sets, it does look like the Coradia Polyvalent is developed from the Coradia Lirex. That train was a development around the year 2000 by Alstom LHB GmbH, now Alstom Transport Deutschland for regional services in Germany. The first order for this type of train was for the suburban services around Stockholm. In 2008 the DB also received the 1st trains based on this development, but these are branded Coradia Continental. All of these types have the equipment on the roof just like the new French trains.

It does look like Alstom only gave it a new name and a French look to make it appear that it's actually a new French development when in reality it's much more international.

btw, I can't say that I appreciate the AGV look on this regional train. I rather see the Stadler Flirt and then especially the new sets for the Norwegian railways.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #379
pietje01

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
Only London and Madrid have a such link between stations :
You're forgetting Brussels, where there are 3 parallel, double track tunnels between the North and the South (midi) station. See Wikipedia
Between them there are 2 smaller stations and the Central station, which is the busiest station in Belgium, but only has 6 tracks.

If you'd suggest the same project now, it wouldn't be built ever.
pietje01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #380
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
The SNCF has decided to solve this problem in much more economical way. There are allready "intersector" TGVs, like Lille - Dijon or Brussel - Marseille. The idea is to have a integrated interval schedule for those services, with interchanges between services in places like Lille, CDG, Dijon and Lyon. The Paris terminals would thus only be used by people actually having Paris as destination.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport