daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #481
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There is a flood of unwanted people to UK.
Maybe we should reconsider wether these people are really unwantend?
In other contexts you seem to be in favor of free enterprise and free trade. Why are you so against the free movement of labor? The world could easily double its GDP, reducing inequality and poverty in the process by removing all immigration restrictions.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #482
K_

Quote:
Now imagine a situation in whcih somebody boards an Eurostar bound to London, without a ticket, with a handful of companions, and, when checked on-board for documents, decide to hide in the bathroom, become aggressive or, worse, without the x-ray decide to take some hostages demanding train doors to be opened or else they will kill a passenger.
Why go through the trouble of doing that on a Eurostar if you can just stop a bus on a freeway and do the same thing? If it was so easy to bluff yourself in to the UK by taking hostages, why doesn't it happen all the time then?

Stop thinking the world works the way they seem to think in Holywood.
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #483
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
However, I do wish for the freedoms we used to have to return. It was once possible to travel by train all over Europe without carrying a passport. That was before the EU though... Long before my time even.
Romanticized views... Sure, between the end of WW1 up til the early 1930s it was possible to travel in US, all British then-possessions, and most of Europe with an identity card only.

But you didn't have anthrax, and most immigrant movements were US-bound, and US was keen to welcome most immigrants anyway. You didn't have massive inter-country migration in the context of a post-industrial society.

So different times, different travel restriction.

However, remember that was a brief period. For most of 18th Century well into the 1950s, it was often difficult, and sometimes a crime/infraction, to travel or trade with "enemy" countries. And well into the early 1970s you couldn't still spend whatever money you wanted abroad, even within Europe.
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #484
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

Quote:
SNCF : 150 TGV de trop

23/06/2011

Jusqu’à présent, on parlait plutôt de 35 rames de trop. Mais, avec la crise, du fait des péages et à l’approche de la concurrence, le modèle TGV est par terre et, selon des dirigeants de la SNCF, ce sont environ 150 rames de trop qu’on dénombrerait dans le parc TGV. Grosso modo, le tiers. Le message est clair et s’adresse aux politiques : si vous voulez que la SNCF commande des rames, fasse tourner l’industrie et soit en bonne santé, redonnez-lui un modèle qui fonctionne. Alstom aimerait fort que les commandes se réveillent. Selon Les Echos, le constructeur a conçu un AGV II dont la version Duplex a tout l’air d’être taillée pour les besoins de la SNCF. Mais aujourd’hui l’entreprise nationale fait tout pour repousser le moment d’investir dans de nouvelles rames. Elle s’est lancée dans la rénovation de 60 rames de TGV PSE (+ 47 en option), pour lesquelles l’entreprise Compin fournit des kits de rénovation au Technicentre de Romilly.

http://www.ville-rail-transports.com...50-tgv-de-trop

Quote:
SNCF: TGV 150 too

23/06/2011

So far, we talked more than 35 trains too. But with the crisis, because of the tolls and the approach of competition, the TGV model is on the ground and, according to officers of the station, around 150 trains that too counted in the park TGV. Roughly one-third. The message is clear and is addressed to policy: if you want the SNCF orders trains, makes turn the industry and be healthy, Give it a model that works. Alstom wants stronger than the wake up command. According to Les Echos, the manufacturer has designed a version of which AGV II Duplex everything seems to be tailored for the needs of the station. But today the SNCF do everything to delay the time to invest in new trains. She embarked on the renovation of 60 trains TGV PSE (+ 47 options), for which the company provides kits Compin renovation to Technicentre Romilly.

60 rames TGV PSE + 47 en option, cela correspond au parc de 107 rames PSE de la SNCF.

http://www.web-trains.com/pse/pse_13.jpg

http://fourga.free.fr/tgv/europ_fr.htm

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #485
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
The security theatre isn't about keeping undesireables out of the country. It's about pretending to do something against terrorism.
Mandatory check in, scanning luggage and immigration controls are all different things.

Absolute codswallop. Do you really believe that? I suppose all those Africans at Sangat etc are terrorists!

I do not wish for the UK to koin Schengen. I would even like to see the UK leave the European Union. (I would like to see every country leave the European Union)

However, I do wish for the freedoms we used to have to return. It was once possible to travel by train all over Europe without carrying a passport. That was before the EU though... Long before my time even.

And here was me thinking that checks at border crossings happened before Schengen. How naive of me!

You must have a strange definition of "real". Are you familiar with basic mathematics?
And yes I am familiar with basic mathematics. Living in the real world will tell you that if you lived there.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #486
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Why go through the trouble of doing that on a Eurostar if you can just stop a bus on a freeway and do the same thing? If it was so easy to bluff yourself in to the UK by taking hostages, why doesn't it happen all the time then?

Stop thinking the world works the way they seem to think in Holywood.
You know those checks we have at the stations.......
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #487
K_

Quote:
Romanticized views... Sure, between the end of WW1 up til the early 1930s it was possible to travel in US, all British then-possessions, and most of Europe with an identity card only.
Oh, I'm talking about the 19th century, when it was possible to freely travel around Europe without any form of ID card. You were who you told you were, and that was accepted.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #488
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
You know those checks we have at the stations.......
Which checks?
In Paris only Eurostar has security checks. Thalys for example hasn't. Yet not a single Thalys train has been bombed...
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:12 PM   #489
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Oh, I'm talking about the 19th century, when it was possible to freely travel around Europe without any form of ID card. You were who you told you were, and that was accepted.
That's true.

Quote:
Which checks?
In Paris only Eurostar has security checks. Thalys for example hasn't. Yet not a single Thalys train has been bombed...
While I agree that the security checks for Eurostar are a colossal waste of time, I do acknowledge that a bomb detonated in the Channel Tunnel could do more damage than a similar bomb detonated anywhere along Thalys.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #490
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
While I agree that the security checks for Eurostar are a colossal waste of time, I do acknowledge that a bomb detonated in the Channel Tunnel could do more damage than a similar bomb detonated anywhere along Thalys.
As do fires in lorries...

So far the number of foiled bombing plots is zero. The tunnel has had a serious fire twice though.
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #491
K_

Quote:
Interestingly it's was railways that brought this about. Before that you did need a "laisser passer" to get across most borders. But not a plot of people travelled. Railways changed that. People started to travel more and more and the checks at the border got problematic. By mid century countries in Europe started to abolish visa and passport requirements, France being one of the first. What followed was a period or relatively free movement of persons (and goods).

(It's only with WWI that the restrictions came back. In retrospect one cannot underestimate the huge disaster the "Great War" was for Europe.)
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #492
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Schengen takes care of most problems, doesn't it?
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #493
mcarling

Quote:
Schengen takes care of most problems, doesn't it?
It would if the European Commission would enforce it. Latvia, for example, still routinely stops motorists to check their passports on the borders with Estonia and Lithuania in violation of European Regulation 562/2006 Article 20.

Last edited by mcarling; September 5th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #494
K_

Is anything know yet about the 2012 SNCF timetable? RFI and SNCF have worked together to implement a nationwide interval timetable, and aparently about 80% of trains will see their schedule changed.

Has the new timetable already been published somewhere?
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #495
mcarling

Quote:
Is anything know yet about the 2012 SNCF timetable? RFI and SNCF have worked together to implement a nationwide interval timetable, and aparently about 80% of trains will see their schedule changed.
The opening of new LGV (in December?) will also force some schedule changes.
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #496
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Railway Gazette reports:

Quote:
Speaking in Moscow, Alstom Technical Director Francois Lacote confirms development of double deck AGVII concept for SNCF #expo1520
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #497
Gadiri

LGV Rhin-Rhône : Strasbourg-Dijon en deux heures

Quote:
La branche Est de la ligne à grande vitesse Rhin-Rhône inaugurée ce jeudi par Nicolas Sarkozy, permettra de se déplacer de Dijon à Strasbourg en à peine 2h. À terme, la LGV doit relier Strasbourg à Lyon

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #498
Gadiri

Old September 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #499

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
LGV Rhin-Rhône : Strasbourg-Dijon en deux heures

Is that a new livery for the TGV ? looks nice
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #500
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

No, it is a special livery for the inauguration and tests (this TGV has been modified with sensors etc to test the new line).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport