daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #541
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
A TER (I don't know of what Region) bound to Montparnasse, also notice the blue double decker RER C on the other platform.
Basse Normandie.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #542
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Question: How do you travel to and from CDG Airport and the main railway station at the capital/center (Gare De Nord)???

Wikipedia said I should take something like this one:

But it doesn't give specific information (like what is the name of the train or service, how many stations do I need to travel, if I need to transfer or not, etc etc.)

Assuming that I'm a first time visitor in France, can you kindly teach me how to travel by train between CDG Airport railway station and main railway station at the center/capital?

Thanks

P.S.
There is another airport rail link service being proposed called CDG Express:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDG_Express

Thing is, why is the ending destination at "East station" (Gare De Est)? Shouldn't the direct connection land at the main station "the north" (Gare Du Nord)?

Just a thought.......
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #543
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

No, that an hi-speed train, it's expensive and rare and designed for traveling for long distance and require pre-booking a seat, and you need a cheaper and more frequent one - local train line RER B - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RER_B

It has express and regural trains, but don't worry - both regural and express trains stops both at Airport and at Gare Nord.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #544
hhouse

Likes (Received): 110

There is no main station in Paris... There are several main hubs... Gare du Nord is important as the name says for northbound high-speed services (London, Brussels, Amsterdam, Lille, ...), Gare de Est for eastbound high-speed services (Strasbourg, Germany, Switzerland [just till the timetable change in December], ...), and so on. Gare de Est and Gare du Nord are just 15 minutes walk away from each other.
hhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #545
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
No, that an hi-speed train, it's expensive and rare and designed for traveling for long distance and require pre-booking a seat, and you need a cheaper and more frequent one - local train line RER B - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RER_B

It has express and regural trains, but don't worry - both regural and express trains stops both at Airport and at Gare Nord.
Yeah, I heard about RER........but I think it's more of the suburban rail type.

So with that said, I'm presuming the fastest airport rail link (CDG<->City Center) is still by TGV bullet train.

So yeah, what would the route map be like:
CDG Airport Railway Station (TGV)<->Gare Du Nord

Is it one straight/direct service or do I need to make a transfer or switch trains?
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #546
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Yeah, I heard about RER........but I think it's more of the suburban rail type.

So with that said, I'm presuming the fastest airport rail link (CDG<->City Center) is still by TGV bullet train.

So yeah, what would the route map be like:
CDG Airport Railway Station (TGV)<->Gare Du Nord

Is it one straight/direct service or do I need to make a transfer or switch trains?
Yes, it will be faster, but if you don't care to pay extra money and do extra paperwork to win like 10 minute of difference... Than it's ok.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #547
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
Yes, it will be faster, but if you don't care to pay extra money and do extra paperwork to win like 10 minute of difference... Than it's ok.
Hehe don't worry. Money would be no object for me on this one. I.e. what I give up with higher fare, I gain back with faster traveling time and efficiency.

So yeah, what's the route map? (no one said anything yet)
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #548
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

TGV from CDG Airport don't go to Paris, but to other cities. CDG's TGV station is served only by trains like Lille-CDG-Lyon.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #549
Blackraven

Hmm.........aww, but I think there is (sorry if I sound stubborn or hard-headed).

Either way, I think the clue(s) lie/s in these train stations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_TGV_Haute-Picardie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_d%27Arras
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lille_E...ailway_station
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #550
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Assuming that I'm a first time visitor in France, can you kindly teach me how to travel by train between CDG Airport railway station and main railway station at the center/capital?
There are two railway stations at CDG airport.

There's a station at T3 that is served by RER (commuter) trains, and one at T3 that is served both by RER and TGV trains. The RER trains go to Paris Nord. The TGVs go everywhere (even to Belgium) but Paris proper. The CDG TGV station is on a connecting line that connects the LGV Nord with the LGV EST and the LGV Sud-Est, so it is only used by trains bypassing Paris, what the SNCF calls "inter sector" trains.

Quote:
There is another airport rail link service being proposed called CDG Express:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDG_Express

Thing is, why is the ending destination at "East station" (Gare De Est)? Shouldn't the direct connection land at the main station "the north" (Gare Du Nord)?
That is indeed planned. The reason for using Paris Est is that it has a lot of spare capacity, so it's an easy solution.
However, they could use Paris Nord if they used that station more efficiently. (In fact, they could run the LGV-Est trains to Paris Nord too...)
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #551
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62816

With the RER it only takes 15 minutes from CDG to Paris Nord, you can't go faster by rail right now.

A TGV service between CDG and Paris Nord is in theory possible, but it would only use only a few KMs of proper High Speed line that is already congested. In other words it wouldn't save that much time (5 min. max) and it would give problems to the real TGV services coming in and out of Paris. And it wouldn't have the advantage of the RER that also takes you beyond Paris Nord straight into the hart of the city with halts at the Notre Dame for example.

btw, if you want to use the TGV right now from CDG to Paris Nord it will take a couple of hours. It's not a real option.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #552
Minato ku

Paris suburban network

Epinay Villetaneuse
Z 50000 bound to Montsoult - Maffliers

Left Z2N and in the right a VB2N bound to Paris Gare du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
With the RER it only takes 15 minutes from CDG to Paris Nord, you can't go faster by rail right now.
It is 25 min, not 15 min.
The express service Gare du Nord - CDG of the RER B will disappear by 2012 during the rush hour.
Every train will be local and will stop at every station.

Last edited by Minato ku; November 18th, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #553
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
btw, if you want to use the TGV right now from CDG to Paris Nord it will take a couple of hours. It's not a real option.
Yikes two hours?

Hmm.....it looks like it isn't a suggestible option at the moment.

Anyways
I just browsed through the french version of the wiki page (even though I don't read French):
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDG_Express

Someone mentioned that if the project is approved, the target completion date would be year 2016.
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #554
Minato ku

The CDG Express project is almost dead by now, the RATP proposed an express train departing from the surface platforms of Gare du Nord.
Old November 20th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #555
Hubert Pollak

Likes (Received): 0

I noticed that there is direct TGV Lille Europe - Mullhouse trains via Strasbourg:

Lille Europe 11:26
Mulhouse Ville 15:47

Basel is only 36 km further, so why not extend this connection to Basel, which is the important destination??

Lille is much more better exchange place than Paris so it could be also a great option for Eurostar and Thalys passengers traveling to Switzerland.
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #556
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Pollak View Post
I noticed that there is direct TGV Lille Europe - Mullhouse trains via Strasbourg:

Lille Europe 11:26
Mulhouse Ville 15:47

Basel is only 36 km further, so why not extend this connection to Basel, which is the important destination??

Lille is much more better exchange place than Paris so it could be also a great option for Eurostar and Thalys passengers traveling to Switzerland.
There are actually two such TGVs. One goes via Strassbourg, the other via Dijon. Continuing them to Basel would be a good idea, but I'm afraid the whole idea of train services being part of a network is only starting to trickle down to the timetable planners at the SNCF.
If one were to extend this train to Basel it would arrive there around 16:15 which would be perfect to allow connections to everywhere in Switzerland.

There are also some practical issues however. SBB and SNCF actually want to get rid of the French section of the railway station in Basel, so that realy only TGVs that can run in Switzerland can be used here...

Now what I think might be a good idea, and one that would interest the Swiss too, would be a TGV Brussel - Lille Europe - CDG - Strassbourg - Basel - Bern. The Swiss governement would really like to have a train between Bern, Strassbourg and Brussel again, and such a train would offer quite a few interesting possibilities...

We might get something like that in the near future anyway if Eurostar runs to Basel.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #557
sidra2010143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

color full trains
sidra2010143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #558
Minato ku

By the way, Switzerland is a contributor of the new Rhin Rhone LGV.

Confédération Helvétique = Switzerland

French State : 32%, €751 million
RRF (French Rail Network) : 28%, €642 million
Franche-Comté Region : 14%, €312 million
Alsace region : 9%, €206 million
European Union : 8%, €200 million
Bourgogne region : 6%, €131 million
Switzerland : 3%, €66 million
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM   #559
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidra2010143 View Post
color full trains
The interior of the Z50000 is even more colorfull.

Old December 6th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #560
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Journal
VEOLIA has today announced its intention to sell its transport business as part of a plan to dispose of up to Euros 5bn worth of assets in the next two years. The French company is under pressure to stem a slump in its share price in the wake of two successive profit warnings.

Veolia will now sell its 50% share in Veolia Transdev, despite only completing the merger in April.
Story continues Here
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport