daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #641
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Terrorist strategist: "Hey Boss! I have an idea! Let's blow up a train station."

Terrorist leader: "We're too late. That won't work anymore. Suburbanist convinced governments to install platform screen doors on the railway station platforms. We have bombs that can destroy a train and the whole train station, but they can't penetrate the platform screen doors."
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #642
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Scanners are important to give a clear segregation impression on the travel experience. A passenger shouldn't thinkg a train platform is like a walk in the park. It is actually a dangerous places (that should be on long-term sealed with platform screen doors anyway), where heigthened attention should be paid.

When I'm in an aiport, I'm always attentive of strange movements, unnatended packages, etc. If I ever stop one unattended package (happened just once so far), I'll immediatelly back away from the place and notify a policeman/security officer ASAP.

Why should it be any different on a train station? As I said, it is not a leisure place, it is a transportation structure.

Scanning can also prevent non-passenger from getting close to the platform. People who are not travelling have no business whatsoever getting close to a train. Nobody does that in an airport (only on air shows), why should it be different for trains?
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegogalban View Post
That's just nonsense, in Spain only major train stations have scanners, and only for long distance and few regional trains... If you want to bring something ilegal to a train just get on a smaller station that doesn't have any kind of control.
Also, rail transport should NEVER get any close to the over exagerated "safety" measures instated on airports, one of the biggest advantages of a train is that you can get to the station few minutes before departure, also that you can be helped by family or friends to get in.

Trains HAVE to be different from air transport, and keep things that have been working for almost two centuries now.

Maybe... off-topic (this thread is for French railways).

A train is not a plane, the difficult to have a train knipnapped is hard compared with a plane, a train, specially the electrical ones, can be stopped where authorities want, etc...

And last terrorist attacks made all over the world (Tokyo, Madrid, London, etc...) where made in underground or commuter trains, not on long distance trains.
Should an underground have to put a scanner?

I have crossed Spanish scanners and found no sense as far as only baggage is checked. You do not cross by a people scanner and you can hide under your coat a bazzuca or similar if you want!!!.
Apart of talking that no policemen are behind those scanners, there are stations without them and you can shuttle and cross the country with no controls.

But with or without scanner, for high speed trains, only passengers (for high speed trains) are allowed to stay in the platform and check-in is closed two minutes in advance.
New tickets with high speed lines had stamped "check-in will close two minutes before departure". And if it was printed with an old ticked format the system printed it later... and everyone knew they had to be two minutes in advance.

Reason?. Some lines offer a penalty refund of 100% if more of FIVE minutes delay (even if a more than two hours journey, which plane company offer that?). So they asked only passengers in the plattform and a check-in in advance avoiding delays arriving the train.

Scanners arrived later. No scanner needed to assure accuracy to be on-time.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #643
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

And talking again about French railways.

Does anyone know anything about running of new trains Pau-Oloron and works between Oloron and Bedous?

Old February 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #644
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
And talking again about French railways.

Does anyone know anything about running of new trains Pau-Oloron and works between Oloron and Bedous?
RFF knows:

http://www.rff.fr/IMG/Lettre%20d'info%20OB%20BD(1).pdf

Basically reopening Oloron - Bedous is not foreseen until 2015.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #645
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15391

error post

Last edited by 437.001; February 7th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #646
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
RFF knows:

http://www.rff.fr/IMG/Lettre%20d'info%20OB%20BD(1).pdf

Basically reopening Oloron - Bedous is not foreseen until 2015.

Thanks.

Are available any pics about works to Bedous?

PS. I've taken SNCF bus at Aspe valley several times and should anyday be a new railway there, be sure I will be there.
I live 195 km away from Bedous

Old February 24th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #647
Minato ku

Gare Saint Lazare, Paris
Renovation.

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #648
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2245

What is the aim of this hall? Is it a rer-metro connexion hall like in Gare du nord?
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #649
Ledindondelafarce

Likes (Received): 23

While renovating the train station, they are building a brand new mall. This is part of the "coeur saint-lazare" plan. Here is the official website : http://www.coeurstlazare.fr/ . It's a bit old and empty, but there are some pieces information, if you can read French.
Ledindondelafarce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #650
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2245

merci

(i'm french)
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #651
Ledindondelafarce

Likes (Received): 23

ok i didn't know, i'm new over here
Ledindondelafarce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #652
Minato ku

Paris suburban train network

Z50000 and Z6100
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #653
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

SNCF is partially withdrawing from the Eurail/Interrail agreement.

Select Passes (passes covering multiple participant railways in a defined number of countries) will no longer be available for use in France.

Reservation quotas for TGVs (for pass holders) will also be reduced on the lowest reservation fee class.

It is a positive development as I see, railway companies don't make money on those passes, which were created in a distant pass by governments willing to lure cash-full tourists to tour their countries and leave their hard-currency there, well before Internet, e-ticket and the likes came around.
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #654
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
It is a positive development as I see, railway companies don't make money on those passes, which were created in a distant pass by governments willing to lure cash-full tourists to tour their countries and leave their hard-currency there, well before Internet, e-ticket and the likes came around.
Oh please, you would sell off your own mother if you'd think someone could make some money out of it. Whilst I agree with you that optimizing revenue is very important for any modern day railway, the railways should not forget that they provide a pivotal role in the mobility of a country and this should provide an incentive to use them as opposed to the biggest competitor - the (rental) car.
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #655
aleander

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
which were created in a distant pass by governments willing to lure cash-full tourists to tour their countries and leave their hard-currency there, well before Internet, e-ticket and the likes came around.
Cash-full 21 years old (or younger) tourists. Sure, whatever you say, dude.
aleander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #656
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleander View Post
Cash-full 21 years old (or younger) tourists. Sure, whatever you say, dude.
When these passes were first created, they had one audience in mind: Americans. At a time when English knowledge (in the continent) and travel information was limited, it guaranteed an easy way to travel.

However, by any means, this is not the case today.

First, there is Internet.

Second, the passes themselves are full of caveats as trains become more and more subject to reservations, quotas per trains for pass holders.

Third, a key market for pass holders, long night trains, is dying and has been reduced to a niche.

Fourth, people who want to really save money will use low-cost airlines.

Fifth, other services associated with travelling, namely lodging (from hostels to expensive hotels), have more and more adopted more efficient practices and the best way to guarantee you WILL pay more is to arrive, without reservation, at a hospitality facility and ask for a room/bed/suite.

The TGVs already have quotas for passholders, which mean not everyone can board a train with a pass even if the train is not full (except if she/he buys a ticket).

This has been done because SNCF loses money on its high-speed national operations compared to what they are allocated from the French pie of pass selling prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Oh please, you would sell off your own mother if you'd think someone could make some money out of it. Whilst I agree with you that optimizing revenue is very important for any modern day railway, the railways should not forget that they provide a pivotal role in the mobility of a country and this should provide an incentive to use them as opposed to the biggest competitor - the (rental) car.
I don't think those markets you mentioned (rental cars vs. railway tickets) are truly comparable for the average tourist.

The type of trip one is more likely to train using trains is different than the type of trip that is best done with a rental car. Even if you can possible do one of them with the other mean of transportation.

Now, if one already owns a car on the point of origin, it will be usually more expensive to travel alone by car, and usually much more expensive to travel with a whole family by train elsewhere - especially if taxis/local public transportation/shuttles are involved. So they are not full-blown competitors of one another, especially when you factor in high-speed trains.

Another important issue is: passes are becoming more expensive to remunerate the participating railways. It means for more and more travelers on leisure trips it pays off to buy advanced tickets on a point-to-point basis. In turn, this mean a larger share of pass holders will be heavy users of their passes, which further strains the whole model.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #657
aleander

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
When these passes were first created, they had one audience in mind: Americans. At a time when English knowledge (in the continent) and travel information was limited, it guaranteed an easy way to travel.

However, by any means, this is not the case today.
Ah yes, I too long for the time when US was a part of Europe. Damn that continental drift.
aleander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #658
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
I thought the purpose of the Eurail Pas was to make less knowledgeable foreign tourists pay more for the same thing. To rip them off in other words. A Eurail pass is probably the most expensive way to see Europe by train. The more savvy tourist knows that he is better off buying short trips locally, and booking long trips in advance.
So I do wonder how it then is possible that companies didn't name money on them.
I also find it odd that SNCF is doing this. They are the ones (via their Rail Europe subsidiary) guilty of duping the most tourists in buying those overpriced passes.
Does SNCF suddenly want to get rid of their cash cow and become an honest company?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #659
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
SNCF is partially withdrawing from the Eurail/Interrail agreement.

Select Passes (passes covering multiple participant railways in a defined number of countries) will no longer be available for use in France.

Reservation quotas for TGVs (for pass holders) will also be reduced on the lowest reservation fee class.

What a sad day, this passes are such a great way of seeing the continent.

Their ticketing plans are now quite confusing, you can only use it to go 2nd class if you are under 26, otherwise you have to go 1st. France is a PITA to use these passes in anyway, requiring reservations on any useful service. France is difficult to travel around in anyway, its hostels are either always full or run by the YMCA and keep limited opening hours. Eastern Europe and Germany are making the money from these passes and tourists nowadays.

Forces seem to be conspiring to make people have dull and predictable holidays.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #660
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I thought the purpose of the Eurail Pas was to make less knowledgeable foreign tourists pay more for the same thing. To rip them off in other words. A Eurail pass is probably the most expensive way to see Europe by train. The more savvy tourist knows that he is better off buying short trips locally, and booking long trips in advance.
So I do wonder how it then is possible that companies didn't name money on them.
I also find it odd that SNCF is doing this. They are the ones (via their Rail Europe subsidiary) guilty of duping the most tourists in buying those overpriced passes.
It might be, but it didn't use to be if you look historical prices.

Rail Europe also sells train tickets for non-Europeans at hefty surcharges. Actually, if one is accessing SNCF website via a non-European IP, it will be directed to Rail Europe, where prices are more expensive.

It is still possible to circumvent that selecting UK, not US or Australia, as "country" on the site tab. Or go with the French (for France, not Canada) version (Voyages SNCF). Then you get low prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
France is a PITA to use these passes in anyway, requiring reservations on any useful service.
Same in Italy.

Quote:
Forces seem to be conspiring to make people have dull and predictable holidays.
It is not like SNCF is closing! Just buy tickets for the sectors you need.

Tags
paris, paris transport