daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #901
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Distance wise that's close to twice longer than driving, but very fast...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #902
CB31

Likes (Received): 2229

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...-jean-station/

€200m to be spent upgrading Bordeaux Saint-Jean station
29 APR, 2014

Photo by RFF / CAPA / Richard Nourry (TOMA)

RFF and SNCF have launched a joint €200 million scheme to renovate Bordeaux Saint-Jean station ready for the inauguration of the Tours-Bordeaux TGV in 2017.

The three-year programme is made up of 14 separate projects designed to improve reliability of rail services in the Aquitaine region and allow the station to accommodate the additional seven million passengers expected to use the it from 2017.

As well as extending the station itself and modernising the current interior, money will be spent renewing track and building new maintenance facilities for TGV and TER vehicles.

The 302-kilometre Tours-Bordeaux HSL will reduce journey times between the cities to just over two hours.

RFF has already awarded the Vinci-led LISEA consortium a 50-year concession to maintain and renew the €7.8 billion route. The agreement requires SNCF to pay LISEA a fee to use the line

telemaxx liked this post

Last edited by CB31; July 22nd, 2014 at 05:19 AM.
CB31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #903
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

I wonder why everybody here just posts projects and nobody posts about the actual things that happen on the rails. Since nobody has, I will post this news even though it's days old. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28358137

Dozens of people have been injured in a train collision in southern France, according to media reports.
A high-speed TGV train on the Pau-Bayonne line was transporting 178 people when it crashed into a regional TER train carrying 70 passengers.
Initial reports indicate the TGV train was stopped on the tracks and restarting when the crash occurred near the town of Denguin.
At least 25 people were reported injured, nine of them seriously.
The BBC's Christian Fraser reports the TGV train had stopped briefly on its route and was moving again, though seemingly not at full speed, which may have prevented a much more serious accident.
Police and firefighters arrived at the scene quickly to help the injured passengers from the train. The collision follows a recent damning report into the rail crash south of Paris last year, in which seven people died. (...)

See above Dimlys' report as to all the things that would be done for rail safety.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #904
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

This kind of story has been posted before so I don't think you can say that people only post reports about projects.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #905
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
I wonder why everybody here just posts projects and nobody posts about the actual things that happen on the rails. Since nobody has, I will post this news even though it's days old. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28358137

Dozens of people have been injured in a train collision in southern France, according to media reports.
A high-speed TGV train on the Pau-Bayonne line was transporting 178 people when it crashed into a regional TER train carrying 70 passengers.
Initial reports indicate the TGV train was stopped on the tracks and restarting when the crash occurred near the town of Denguin.
At least 25 people were reported injured, nine of them seriously.
The BBC's Christian Fraser reports the TGV train had stopped briefly on its route and was moving again, though seemingly not at full speed, which may have prevented a much more serious accident.
Police and firefighters arrived at the scene quickly to help the injured passengers from the train. The collision follows a recent damning report into the rail crash south of Paris last year, in which seven people died. (...)

See above Dimlys' report as to all the things that would be done for rail safety.
This is wrong it is the regional TER train that crashed into the TGV, not the opposite.
The TER was running at 90 km/h and the TGV at 30 km/h when the crash occurred.

The signaling in this part of the track was off service for maintenance.
Old July 19th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #906
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

In the meantime, is anyone here fluent in French? I have a favour to ask of anyone that is.
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #907
Minato ku

I am French.
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #908
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Is that a confession? Sorry, I'm joking of course.

Can you send an email to RFF to ask which routes in France are cleared to allow P400 semi-trailers to be carried on standard intermodal wagons please?

Just so you are aware, I am familiar with the VIIA services of Geodis which use the special Modalohr wagons.

Recently CFL began a service between Bettembourg and Lyon which can carry P400 trailers on standard intermodal wagons.

This surprised me as I didn't think the loading gauge anywhere in France was large enough for this traffic unless the Modalohr wagons were used.

I've tried emailing RFF in English and got no response so perhaps a French language email might be replied to.

Thanks.
Old July 20th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #909
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15391

I´ve just "caught" these two photos lost in another thread, and I just couldn´t resist it...

A TGV along Le Bourget lake, between Aix-les-Bains and Culoz (in the departement of Savoie).
The picture hasn´t been retouched, the landscape is like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodiekonig View Post

The next one is a bit more nostalgic, taken some time ago between Narbonne and Port-la-Nouvelle stations (in the departement of Aude).
The Talgo Mare Nostrum, pulled by a BB 7200, on its way from Montpellier to Cartagena, in Spain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodiekonig View Post

parcdesprinces liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #910
CB31

Likes (Received): 2229

Edit.

Last edited by CB31; July 22nd, 2014 at 05:19 AM.
CB31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #911
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

For those who are also curious about the Lyon-Bettembourg service, please see the 10th slide in this document:

Intermodal Loading Gauge In France
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #912
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
This is wrong it is the regional TER train that crashed into the TGV, not the opposite.
The TER was running at 90 km/h and the TGV at 30 km/h when the crash occurred.

The signaling in this part of the track was off service for maintenance.
Yes, thanks. I noticed the mistake in the BBC report, but was in a rush when posting so did not correct it.
It is of course a bit of a horror to think that a train engineer would ride at 90 kmh while going blindly. I suppose the fault is given to "human error"? I think not slowing down in construction sites or similar situations must be a major cause for accidents, remember the tragic derailment in Brühl between Köln and Bonn a few years back. Is there anything to be done about such cases?
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #913
Minato ku

The accident happened at 90 km/h because the train engineer slowed down when he saw the TGV, infact he was operating the TER at full speed (120 km/h).
It is either a fault of the train engineer or a malfunction of the signalisation.
Old July 20th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #914
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Is that a confession? Sorry, I'm joking of course.

Can you send an email to RFF to ask which routes in France are cleared to allow P400 semi-trailers to be carried on standard intermodal wagons please?

Just so you are aware, I am familiar with the VIIA services of Geodis which use the special Modalohr wagons.

Recently CFL began a service between Bettembourg and Lyon which can carry P400 trailers on standard intermodal wagons.

This surprised me as I didn't think the loading gauge anywhere in France was large enough for this traffic unless the Modalohr wagons were used.

I've tried emailing RFF in English and got no response so perhaps a French language email might be replied to.

Thanks.
I found this map: http://www.rff.fr/public/force_downl...barits_F_V.pdf

It shown the loading gauges, not the intermodal transport profiles, but that's roughly the matching between the two measures:

gabarit C = P400/C80
gabarit B1 = P384/C45
gabarit A = P360/C32

The gabarit and the profiles are different things, so they aren't exactly "synonyms".

G1 is probably the French standard loading gauge (or maybe the Berne gauge), autre means other, and I don't know what does GLOTT mean.

(GC, gabarit GC, and gabarit C are just different ways to say the same thing, as are tha gabarit B1 and the B+)

Here are then the intermodal profiles on the Italian network (RFI only): http://www.rfi.it/cms-file/allegati/..._esercizio.pdf (grey = standard FS gauge)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #915
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

That's fantastic, thank you.
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #916
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Although I've just realised the GC lines are the TGV routes.

I suspect that RFF has given clearance to P400 trains over the pink line via Dijon and Metz perhaps, may be with a few modifications. It must be a pretty easy route to fiddle with.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #917
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

There aren't many tunnels in France, and many double track lines could handle their traffic with a (temproary) single track, so most routes would be easy to upgrade.

Are there plans to convert 1,5 kV DC lines to 25 kV AC, especially those with old DC equipment and few tunnels like those in the southwest? Doing the conversion after the opening of the LGV SEA wouldn't even cause much distruption.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #918
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

SNCF posted a video about the removal of the trains that collided near Denguin to their YouTube account:

437.001 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:17 PM   #919
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26117

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Strike and recession slash SNCF first-half profit
Friday, August 01, 2014

THE rail strike in June and France's continuing sluggish economy caused French National Railways (SNCF) to report a 74% drop in net profit to €224m for the first half of 2014 compared with a net profit of €865m for the first half of 2013

While first-half turnover increased by 0.8% to €16bn, operating profit fell by 54.8% to €517m and Ebitda dropped by 17.5% to €1.07bn. SNCF says nearly two-thirds of the decline in Ebitda was due to the 13-day strike which resulted in lost revenue of €208m, while continuing increases in track access charges, particularly for the operation of TGV services, accounted for the rest of the fall in Ebitda.

"Faced with the persistently sluggish economy in France, SNCF has demonstrated its ability to meet the challenge, preserving our margins through an unrelenting drive to cut costs," says SNCF's president Mr Guillaume Pepy. "However the strike in June has forced us to launch an additional cost-cutting programme aimed at erasing two-thirds of that strike's impact on our accounts. At the same time, our investments are up at €1.1bn and our net debt is down from levels reported at June 30 2013."

First-half net debt declined from €8bn to €7.88bn, while capital investment increased by 9% to €1.1bn. However, SNCF was only able to fund 71% of investment from its own resources due to the fall in Ebitda.

SNCF says activities unaffected by the strike did well, in particular those outside France. International business revenue grew by 5.6% during the first half, with its passenger subsidiary Keolis recording a 6.8% increase in revenue of which 14% was abroad
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:03 PM   #920
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The collision between a TER and a TGV was caused by rodents. Despite deterrent measures, the rodents had damaged some cabling close to the signal, which in turn showed a green aspect when it should've been red. SNCF will performs checks on over 10.000 similar signals, as this was not seen before.

Tags
paris, paris transport