daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2016, 03:59 AM   #1061
BlackArt-ist

Likes (Received): 2754

The former station was indeed better placed for easy transfer with the nearby tram line. Moving it was utterly stupid, they clearly didn't care that much about it back then and even replaced it with a big parking lot until recently.

An underground link to Nice-Ville station wouldn't be worth it without a direct connection to the coastal line, which is loaded enough atm without any relief perspective before the arrival of high speed rail in the area. Such a tunnel would be a mess to excavate in this dense urban environment, a complet revamp of the tracks would be needed at least as far as St-Martin du Var (they're in a quite bad shape and Digne-Nice line is metric gauge).

Many obstacles for minor gains. They should focus on improving Grasse-Cannes-Vintimille line performances. Current "suburban" services are a complete shame. Trojmiasto in Poland as an urban shape similar to Côte d'Azur conurbation and a dedicated commuter rail line since almost 70 years.

Here's a scheme of planned services in 2040, after the inauguration of LGV PACA:

[IMG][/IMG]

red for HSR, blue for local/urban services, orange for limited express

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:50 PM   #1062

Likes (Received): 1439

Great scheme; thanks!

But what is "Monaco-GV"? A separate station for high speed? Where is that supposed to be located?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:35 AM   #1063
BlackArt-ist

A parallel underground station is under assessment, connected to the current one with a transfer tunnel.

This pdf is rather dated (2008), but you'll find in it maps and cross-sectional drawings on pages 35-36 (explanations in french only).

Here's a the complete scheme I posted a part above.
It includes optimistic yet to be launched projects like the reopening of Gardanne-Carnoules line, a connection between Aix-en-Provence and Aix-TGV stations and multiple non-existent stations, whether once planned and abandoned or simply imagined by the author ("Le Pontet", "Avignon-Université", "Aix-Facultés", "L'Escaillon", "St-Musse",...). A wet dream at the moment.

Richard_P liked this post
BlackArt-ist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 03:24 AM   #1064

Likes (Received): 1439

Sweet. Thanks!
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #1065
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Accident ferroviaire : l'étrange disparition de l'ordinateur de Brétigny

Lisez en plus: Le Parisien

Quote:
Quelles informations étaient cachées dans l'ordinateur et le disque dur de Laurent W., responsable de la maintenance sur le secteur de Brétigny ? Trois ans après le déraillement qui a fait 7 morts et des dizaines de blessés, la question taraude toujours les juges d'instruction d'Evry (Essonne).

Car l'histoire qui entoure ce matériel informatique, qui peut potentiellement contenir des informations importantes pour comprendre les causes de l'accident, laisse les enquêteurs plus que perplexes. Le 29 août 2013, soit un peu plus d'un mois après le déraillement, une plainte contre X est déposée par la SNCF au commissariat d'Arpajon (Essonne) pour le vol dans les locaux de la gare de Brétigny de deux GPS, d'un appareil photo et, donc, d'un ordinateur et d'un disque dur.
-------------------------------
By the sounds of it, critical information about a 2013 crash in Brétigny was stored on a single! freaking! computer! which is nowhere to be found now. Rats get smelt and inquests stalled and all sorts of fun stuff.

dimlys1994 liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #1066
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

I will be travelling from Lille to Arras on 15/06 and then Arras-Lens-Lille on 16/06 with a break in Lens for a few hours. I've had a look at the SNCF site but I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it better to buy your ticket in advance or is it the same price in ticket machines?
2. Can you get a ticket that allows you to break your journey or is it point to point? eg Arras-Lens and then Lens-Lille?
3. Does Lens station have lockers or a left luggage area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #1067
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10830

1. For short regional routes like this the price is fixed to my knowledge, so it would be the same online and in vending machines, now or later. I would also expect that this ticket is of the kind with unlimited usability, in that you can take any Lille-Arras train with it, and regardless of the occupancy of the train. Maybe a local can enlighten us on this. But if I were you I'd book now, just in case.

2. I'm not sure what you mean but my guess is that what you need is to buy sepparate Arras-Lens and Lens Lille tickets at the hours you desire.

3. There doesn't seem to be any luggage care service: http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frxle/lens/services Probably a very small station.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

Fatfield liked this post

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; May 18th, 2016 at 04:24 PM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #1068
BlackArt-ist

Due to fare evasion, tickets have a limited validity, depending on the region you travel in, they can last from one week to only 24 hours. Don't know for internet reservation, but in case you use a ticket machine, be sure to select carefully the validity date (by default, the machine will obviously suggest you the current date) and select "second class" when buying, as in most regional trains nowadays there isn't any first class carriage. For Trains Express Régionaux, the price is the same whether you buy on internet or on the spot, there's no required reservation for seats unlike TGVs.
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #1069
voltrega62

Likes (Received): 103

Regiorail is a private operator of freight trains in France.

Taken in Ribesaltes, near Perpignan/Perpinya:
Shunter MaK G1206 #1574.

Locomotive Alstom "Prima" BB 27137M.

Shunter Y7614 ex-Sncf, Regiorail #1406.

Locomotive Alstom "Prima" BB 27119M.
No se permite la reproduccion ni la publicacion de mis imagenes para uso comercial o lucrativo sin mi autorizacion. Doy mi permiso a cualquier usuario para publicar cualquier foto mia en blogs, foros, etc, siempre que se me cite como autor de la misma y esta no sea recortada ni tratada digitalmente.
voltrega62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 02:17 AM   #1070
BlackArt-ist

Quote:
Oloron-Bedous line: after a 30 years interruption, first test train reached the new terminus, set to reopen on 26 june.

Wednesday morning, at 10am, a first test train reached Bedous station in order to carry out technical measures on the newly rebuilt single track. The train made several round trips up to 30, 60 and 80 km/hr, which is the scheduled maximum speed.
http://www.larepubliquedespyrenees.f...us,2027609.php

A first step towards the complete reopening of the Aspe valley line, which crosses the Pyrénées National Park and formerly linked Pau and Canfranc, at the french-spanish border.
Old May 26th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #1071
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9987

Will they reopen the whole line? At least for freight?
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #1072
BlackArt-ist

In the long run ("by 2020", more likely later on) both Aquitaine and Aragon local authorities are willing to.

The line has been retained by the European Commission as part of the Trans-European Transport Network plan. The ultimate goal seems to create an international connection between Bordeaux and Zaragoza. Somport and Ossau areas being major touristic/skiing spots, passenger traffic is considered. Don't know for freight rail, Pyrénées are easy to bypass either by the altantic coast or the mediterranean coast.

page 13/15

Robi_damian liked this post
Old May 29th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #1073
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15411

There would be freight. Trains are loaded from lorries (coming I think from Pau) that reach Canfranc, then the freight train heads down to the Med.

As for passenger traffic, it would be an ideal occasion to change gauge on the Huesca to Canfranc line and electrify it.

However, gradients between Canfranc and Bedous are no small feat (43mm=4.3%). The steepest line in France.

BlackArt-ist liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #1074
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...ogle-maps.html

SNCF stations on Google maps
13 Jun 2016

FRANCE: Station operating and development business SNCF Gares & Connexions has announced a partnership with Google that will see plans of 3 000 stations made available on the company’s Indoor Maps product. In addition, 160 stations will be available on Street View, enabling users to undertake a virtual tour.

SNCF Gares & Connexions Managing Director Patrick Ropert said that he was particularly proud that details of 33 stations had been made available via Google in time for the start of Euro 2016 football championships on June 10. This would ‘make life easier’ for the 2∙5 million foreign visitors expected during the month-long tournament, he added

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

winnipeg liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #1075
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...e-reopens.html

Pyrénées line reopens
05 Jul 2016

FRANCE: Celebrations were held on July 1 to mark the reopening of the 24·7 km line between Oloron-Sainte-Marie and Bedous in the foothills of the Pyrénées, where passenger services had resumed on June 26.

Taking part in the inauguration were SNCF President Guillaume Pepy, the President of infrastructure manager SNCF Réseau Patrick Jeantet, the President of Région Nouvelle-Aquitaine Alain Rousset, plus the President of Aragon Javier Lamban

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old July 21st, 2016, 02:53 PM   #1076
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 50

Hello,

I am going to visit paris for some days and I would like to take some photos.
Maybe anyone here to know a few good locations in Paris (near Paris) to take photos
(different type of traffic IC and regionals)?
And on which line sees the oldest stock in use?

Thanks in advance!
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:36 PM   #1077
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

France reveals plans for loss-making inter-city services
Thursday, July 21, 2016

FRENCH secretary of state for transport Mr Alain Vidalies unveiled the government’s strategy to revive France’s loss-making conventional long-distance services on July 21, but confirmed that more than half of Lunéa overnight trains will be withdrawn in the autumn if an alternative operator cannot be found

The strategy has been drawn up following a review into the so-called Balance of Territory (TET) services, which was completed last year

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:52 AM   #1078
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtManDoo View Post
Hello,

I am going to visit paris for some days and I would like to take some photos.
Maybe anyone here to know a few good locations in Paris (near Paris) to take photos
(different type of traffic IC and regionals)?
And on which line sees the oldest stock in use?

Thanks in advance!
The best place in my biased opinion is the Pont d'Asnières, where I live. You basically have two bridges over the Seine right near each other; you can sit on the road bridge and take photos of the rail bridge with La Défense as the very spectacular backdrop.

In the picture bellow, the road bridge is the one to the foreground and the rail bridge is the one to the background:

La Défense
by Julianoz Photographies, on Flickr

THe view that you get from the road bridge is more or less something like this:

Pont d'Asnières
by Cédric Thual, on Flickr

The trains you can see on this bridge are three different types of Transilien trains and two different types of Intercity trains (that connect Paris to Normandy). Unfortunately there's no TGV.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 03:14 AM   #1079
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Searching a bit more there barely seem to be any pics with trains on the Pont d'Asnières on Flickr, it would be useful if you took some and shared them.

Here's what I found. Three different types of Transilien trains:

https://flic.kr/p/DHbBdH
(the newest)

Pont d'Asnières - View on La Défense
by Paris_Connexion, on Flickr
(the oldest)

https://flic.kr/p/qTDqhn
(this pic is taken from a ship on the Seine)

The whole spectrum of rolling stock of Transilien passing by here:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_J_du_Transilien
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_L_du_Transilien

I found no pics of Normandy Intercity trains on Flickr but here's their wiki page:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercit%C3%A9s_Normandie
Despite not being pictured in the article, some are double-decked.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

Sacré Coeur, charpentier, Swede liked this post
Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:45 PM   #1080
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

The other thing I would recommend would be to find a place to see the trains coming out of the Gare de Lyon. It's because you would get to photograph the TGV and what I think is the oldest rolling stock in use anywhere in the network, the Z 5300 on Transilien line R:

I love those old motorized sleighs.

One place I can think of as a good spotting ground is around this rail bridge: https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.81600...2!8i6656?hl=en It's before the lines start splitting in different directions.

===

charpentier, dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; July 22nd, 2016 at 01:53 PM.

Tags
paris, paris transport