daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2017, 03:56 PM   #1121
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Thanks. I visited that and other pages. When you are going to buy tickets they say if it wonders, just for that trip, to buy a card and they said me it worthed for not so much money, but worthed.... but (and confirmed by company) not possible to buy on internet with an out of France address.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:51 PM   #1122
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9950

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
(and confirmed by company)
So you called them (I was about to tell you to do so)..

That said, may I suggest you (if of course I correctly understood your issue) to insist, because generally (I'm serious, I mean this is France/French customer services) when you "yell at them"...then, mysteriously, "everything" becomes possible. (again, this is France)...anyway, you have nothing to lose in trying that way...

...And trust me, it works!
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:41 PM   #1123
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Well... tickets are already bought and payed. I contacted them via internet and assured that could be bought only on stations or by internet if living in France. What I do not understand is why they ask the country and do not let to change it... Write it as default and enough.

Question now is if it possible to buy a Enfant+ card and change 8 tickets with it in a station, prior to take first train.

Old April 15th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #1124
Floch PC 11

Likes (Received): 266

Rennes station in 2015 and 2017 - before/today :

The brittany high-speed rail will open in july : Paris < > Rennes 1:25 / Paris < > Brest 3:30 (a reduction of 45 mins).
Old April 16th, 2017, 09:21 PM   #1125
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I took the Pau-Paris-Pau TGV and I have some questions...

- Since when did they call at Orthez?. I though it wasn't called by TGV
- Border-St.Sebastian is now under works. TGV said all stations until Hendaye. Do they go until Irun or only until Hendaye? (they were joined till Dax)

Perfect on going, 10 minutes delayed on back

Old April 19th, 2017, 01:13 AM   #1126
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 759

Second part of my trip to Paris. Unfortunately there was a heavy fog about.

6468 Pont Cardinet 20 February 2017

827357 Pont Cardinet 20 February 2017

515060 Pont Cardinet 20 February 2017

115053 Pont Cardinet 20 February 2017

565 Paris Saint-Lazare 18 February 2017

115053 Paris Saint-Lazare 18 February 2017

23016 & 84515 Gare du Nord 20 February 2017

215045 Gare du Nord 20 February 2017

22333 Gare du Nord 20 February 2017

20875 Villeneuve St Georges 20 February 2017

522238 Villeneuve St Georges 20 February 2017

More here:
https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...February-2017/
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:26 PM   #1127
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Le petit train à crémaillère à Rhune

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #1128
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10830

I'm not sure I understand this argument, can someone help?

Quote:
"La fusion des régions permet déjà de faire des économies", affirme le président LR de l'association Régions de France Philippe Richert. Et les chiffres l'attestent. Les régions dépensent moins qu'avant, et cela s'observe notamment sur les trains régionaux. Il faut rappeler que le prix du billet ne couvre qu'1/4 seulement des dépenses. Le reste est payé par la région. Mais comme le contrat négocié avec la SNCF couvre désormais un territoire bien plus vaste, les grandes régions ont aujourd'hui plus de poids pour négocier de meilleurs tarifs. Par exemple en Occitanie, l'économie réalisée est estimée à 260 millions d'euros, quant à la région Grand Est, elle devrait se situer aux alentours de 350 millions d'euros sur 5 ans, ce qui représente une baisse d'environ 10% de la facture, alors que l'on compte 200 trains de plus sur les rails.
http://www.rtl.fr/actu/societe-faits...ies-7788780795

It says that the merging of regions has helped make vast savings in railway costs, but from how I understand the explanation, it simply means that the new (and bigger) regions have renegotiated the level of subsidy for the regional railway networks (TER), so the regions now pay less and the operator, SNCF, pays more via ticket prices. Which I wouldn't call "savings", just a different pocket from which to put out the taxpayers' money...

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

Ibath liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #1129
kyah117

Likes (Received): 147

Well, it doesn't say anything about the ticket prices except that 1/4 of the expenses are covered by the tickets, the rest is paid by the regions.

For the rest, it's basically what you've said : savings from bigger contracts.

alexandru.mircea liked this post
kyah117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:56 PM   #1130
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

New anamorphic maps of distances in France that take into account the new high speed lines innaugurated today, Bordeaux and Rennes):

https://twitter.com/ClaraSchmelck/st...65081329442816

https://twitter.com/AssoGrandParis/s...30853597229056
Old July 2nd, 2017, 06:49 PM   #1131
The Polman

Likes (Received): 786

Next steps: speeding up to Toulouse and Nice. After that, well, not much is really left in order to keep all elephants coloured.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:11 PM   #1132
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Today at the innauguration president Macron said he'll favour investment in improvement of everyday transport instead of new "grand projets", so that's tough luck for Toulouse and Nice :P

Kidding aside, isn't the extension of high speed service to Toulouse already in planning phase? That's what I seem to remember. Anyway, given the shortened time for Bordeaux, the time to reach Toulouse has shortened as well, there are now direct trains that reach it from Paris in four hours and seventeen minutes.

As for Nice, I don't know how much they can do anyway, given the tight montaneous geography. Five hours fourty minutes from Paris is already pretty good, three hours down to Marseille in high speed and then one hour and a half along the coastline.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture
Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:29 AM   #1133
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
Kidding aside, isn't the extension of high speed service to Toulouse already in planning phase? That's what I seem to remember.
The DUP status (declaration of public utility) of that project has been canceled a few days ago so it looks like that, as well as president Macron's statements about wanting to focus on the existing network, will throw everything up in the air.

alexandru.mircea liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:42 AM   #1134
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

^ thanks

Quote:
Anyway, given the shortened time for Bordeaux, the time to reach Toulouse has shortened as well, there are now direct trains that reach it from Paris in four hours and seventeen minutes.
Well that didn't get off to a good start, the first such train had a 4 hour and a half delay today due to a technical incident with an intercity train on the same tracks...

===

SNCF also have their own isochronic anamorphic maps which are really cool and detailed, and some have been published in a book:

https://twitter.com/M_Lafage/status/881108248065081344

Some better pics would be great...

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; July 3rd, 2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old July 4th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #1135
btrs

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
As for Nice, I don't know how much they can do anyway, given the tight montaneous geography. Five hours fourty minutes from Paris is already pretty good, three hours down to Marseille in high speed and then one hour and a half along the coastline.
Aside from the pure time gain, they should build this line so TGV's can move to the new line and TER-trains would be more punctual on the coastal line. Today, one hiccup on the line (bomb attacks, broken down trains, ..) immediately disrupts or severely delays all trains.

With the new line, at least TGV's and some fast regional services (like the present TER-IC's) will still be running if there are problems on the classic line.
btrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 12:00 AM   #1136
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15404

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polman View Post
Next steps: speeding up to Toulouse and Nice. After that, well, not much is really left in order to keep all elephants coloured.
Nope: the next steps are Montpellier, Perpignan and Barcelona, as the new line Nimes-Montpellier will open very soon too.

In July 2018, if all goes well. But only at a top speed of 220km/h, travel times will be cut by 20min until ETCS-2 is installed.
When ETCS-2 were installed, then top speed will be 300km/h, saving even more time.

In fact, I think that map already puts Barcelona-Paris under 6 hours, so I guess they already updated it.

Once it opens, Paris-Barcelona will have an almost equal travel time as Paris-Nice.
Which will probably mean Barcelona overtaking Nice in travel time once ETCS-2 entered service.

Last edited by 437.001; July 6th, 2017 at 12:14 AM.
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #1137
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

The LGV to Montpellier opens in July 2018?
Wasn't it supposed to be Dec. 2017?

When did they announce this delay?
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #1138
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

It's a shame that Nice gets so left out from all new railway construction. If it gets faster to get to say Barcelona from most of France by rail I wouldn't discard the possibility some of the tourists going to Côte d´Azur would go to Catalonia instead. Maybe all the rentiers on the French riviera don't care about future and faster rail as they already have it quite well?

The ideal for Nice would IMO be a HSR Marseilles-Toulon-Nice-Turin (a tunnel from Nice to Cueno on the way to Turin would be about 55-65kms of length, which is a long stretch but almost equal to other base tunnels currently under construction). Functionaly executed you could have HSR trains in 250 km/h from Marseilles to Milan (~400-450 kms with all new tunnels) in 2-3hrs. Nothern Italy would get great connections by rail to the Iberian peninsula and vice versa this way, and Nice would get a great connection to its former capital in less than an hour (today there are just the slow railway and equally small highway across Tende, hence very few day trips ).
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:54 AM   #1139
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
It's a shame that Nice gets so left out from all new railway construction.
More than a shame, it's just that it's very, very expensive, and not easy at all.
The Côte d'Azur is overbuilt, so the only realistic option is building the new line through very long and expensive tunnels.

Quote:
If it gets faster to get to say Barcelona from most of France by rail I wouldn't discard the possibility some of the tourists going to Côte d´Azur would go to Catalonia instead.
Oh, but they already come.

Quote:
The ideal for Nice would IMO be a HSR Marseilles-Toulon-Nice-Turin (a tunnel from Nice to Cueno on the way to Turin would be about 55-65kms of length, which is a long stretch but almost equal to other base tunnels currently under construction).
Man, er... Have you ever travelled by train fro Nice to Cuneo?

That's the Alps. It wouldn't be cheaper than Lyon-Turin. At all.

It's easier to build the shorter, cheaper Montgenèvre tunnel between Briançon and Oulx, which by the way is the historical route from Spain to Italy, not the coastal one.

snot liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #1140
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpUp View Post
The LGV to Montpellier opens in July 2018?
Wasn't it supposed to be Dec. 2017?

When did they announce this delay?
I saw it at the French Wikipedia, so unless it's not updated I trust it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Wikipédia
[...] La construction de la ligne, qui permettra de relier Montpellier à Paris en 3 heures 05, a débuté fin 2013, pour une mise en service à vitesse réduite de 220 km/h prévue le 8 juillet 2018. [...]

Tags
paris, paris transport