daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM   #221
Mark19

Likes (Received): 60

image hosted on flickr

in central america (el salvador) we paint like this

because, you CAN NOT cross the yellow line, and you CAN cross the white line (in this case the highway shoulders)
Mies Van Der Rohe

"Las mentes brillantes manejan ideas; las mentes corrientes hablan de actualidades; las mentes mediocres hablan y critican a los demás".
Eleanor Roosevelt.
Mark19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:50 AM   #222
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

This has probably been answered before, but is there an EU regulation for it?

I remember in Austria everything used to be painted yellow on streets (except temporary lines). Somewhere around the early 90ties everything was changed to white and I remember people claiming it was because of the EU. On a few old streets you can still see the yellow lines underneath the white ones btw. But this is becoming increasingly rare.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM   #223
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Montenegro up to a couple years ago used yellow side lines and white median.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM   #224
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
This has probably been answered before, but is there an EU regulation for it?

I remember in Austria everything used to be painted yellow on streets (except temporary lines). Somewhere around the early 90ties everything was changed to white and I remember people claiming it was because of the EU. On a few old streets you can still see the yellow lines underneath the white ones btw. But this is becoming increasingly rare.
The EU cannot be blaimed for everything.

The road markings and traffic signs are not regulated by the EU. They have been harmonized by the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals on a voluntary basis. The conversion harmonizes the outlook of several markings, but the member countries have the freedom to select any colour. Thus, pink would go, for example.

White markings are more clearly visible in bad weather and illumination conditions than yellow ones. This is the most obvious reason to select the white colour, I think.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:41 PM   #225
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

the yellow lines is better than white at night.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM   #226
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Not on wet road. Also I think that luminance is better developed (more advanced) on white paints than on yellow.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:38 AM   #227
ed110220

Here's my thinking of a possible reason for using white at the centre and yellow at the sides.

The first line to be painted on roads was probably the centre one or that separating lanes, and white would probably be the first choice of colour. Later, the sides of the road were marked and they chose a different colour, and yellow would be the next-best colour to use.

Just my theory.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #228
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Not on wet road. Also I think that luminance is better developed (more advanced) on white paints than on yellow.
That is true. The retroreflectivity of the yellow markings are typically 20-40 per cent less than the white ones. Of course, better materials can be used to increase the visibility of the yellow markings, but there is an extra cost involved. In the north, where the studded tires and showploughing reduce the duration of the markings, the cost may be amazingly high. For instance, Sweden spends 30-40 million euros to road markings every year. Not using yellow saves money.

The retroreflectivity is measured by millicandelas per square meter per lux. Quite a typical rules state that the minimum acceptable retroreflectivity of white markings is 100 mcd/sqm/lx, while the minimum of yellow markings is 80 units. Thus, the worse retroreflectivity of the yellow colour is a known and accepted fact.

Typically, the retroreflectivity of wet markings is about one third of the dry ones.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:17 AM   #229
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
I am not sure of the meaning of yellow edge markings. I understand our yellow central line, which has a different meaning than when it is white (direction of the traffic on the other side of the line), but why yellow edge markings? (it looks good though )
The meaning is actually similar - you always know that the yellow line should be on your right side (well, unless you go way too far left ).

It actually helps greatly at night because you always know that as long as you keep the yellow line close to you on the right side, but do not cross it, you are safe. As long as it is maintained properly, I find this superior to, say, tracking the median line.

However, being used to Canada, I prefer having a different-coloured direction separation, compared to all-white.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:11 AM   #230
ed110220

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
The meaning is actually similar - you always know that the yellow line should be on your right side (well, unless you go way too far left ).

It actually helps greatly at night because you always know that as long as you keep the yellow line close to you on the right side, but do not cross it, you are safe. As long as it is maintained properly, I find this superior to, say, tracking the median line.

However, being used to Canada, I prefer having a different-coloured direction separation, compared to all-white.
Also, it means if you're on a road and have a yellow line on the left edge and a white one on the right edge (vice versa if driving on the right) you know you're on a dual carriageway/divided highway even if the other side is hidden on the other side of a wide median. Yellow on both sides and you're on a single carriageway and can expect oncoming traffic.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #231
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
you always know that as long as you keep the yellow line close to you on the right side, but do not cross it, you are safe.
don't you mean on the left side?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM   #232
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
don't you mean on the left side?
Well, I was talking about countries where you drive on the right (like in Israel), where the yellow margin would be on your right side. In Ireland/South Africa it would be the left side indeed.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM   #233
Norsko
Urban Citizen

TheCat and d110220:
Finally yellow edge markings makes sense to me (I must have been a bit dumb!!!), yellow line means "this is end of road"; Regardless of the road being a normal two-lined one or a multi-lane, sometimes even with grass medians, "islands" or special purpose lanes in the middle one. Almost as clever as yellow center line for different traffic direction!
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #234
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Well, I was talking about countries where you drive on the right (like in Israel), where the yellow margin would be on your right side. In Ireland/South Africa it would be the left side indeed.
sorry I thought you were talking about the yellow divider line
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #235
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Norway is swapping to left orange lines on motorways and one-way streets aswell now:
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #236
xrtn2

Sorry, i dont understood.

Norway is changing white lines for yellow lines ??
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #237
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post

Sorry, i dont understood.

Norway is changing white lines for yellow lines ??
On dual carriageways and one way streets. Norway already had yellow lines on single carriageways.

Basicamente, a Noruega já tinha linhas amarelas nas estradas de dois sentidos sem separação mas utilizava linhas brancas (com separação, e estradas de sentido único) nas outras estradas (como no Brasil), mas agora mudaram para o mesmo da EUA, agora eles tem sempre linhas amarelas (ou laranjas)

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; May 15th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #238
xrtn2

Hum

Brazil changed all yellow central lanes same direction for white lanes, but the opposite lanes keep being yellow.

And Brazil also changed all american chevrons for portuguese ones.

But opposite lanes keep being yellow.

Last edited by xrtn2; May 15th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #239
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Norway is swapping to left orange lines on motorways and one-way streets aswell now:
Interesting (and finally!)

Do you have any sources? Road authority hasn't updated their site: http://www.vegvesen.no/Fag/Publikasjoner/Vegnormaler

edit: I found it...

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Last edited by IceCheese; May 16th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #240
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Yes, finally! I've never understood why we kept the yellow divider away from dual carriageways. Now, you deserve to be properly banned for driving if you're able to go against the traffic...

I just hope they make a swift change to clarify the process. And, that they take road markings serious and repaint them every year after the stupid studded tires have removed them.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote