daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #301
Iregua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 143
Likes (Received): 70

Spain used the yellow center line until the 1980's. This is a picture of the national road N-IV through Despeñaperros mountain pass in the early 80's or late 70's:

__________________

I-Soke liked this post
Iregua no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #302
xrtn2
Registered User
 
xrtn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Valadares, Brazil
Posts: 19,676
Likes (Received): 17503




Very interesting.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #303
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Viersen (NRW)
Posts: 140
Likes (Received): 19

@gspinoza:

Italy changed from yellow to white for the margin lines in 1993. I remeber driving from Venice to Padova on A 4 back then. The road markings were being painted on a new asphalted stretch, and I thought they were making a mistake...
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #304
parinandv
Parinand
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pak Kret
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
Roads with multiple lanes into each direction where even the line
separating opposite directions is dashed??
Does that exist? I mean, by portuguese laws that would be forbidden, and I guess that by any reasonable law it would be forbidden too.
If there are multiple lanes into each direction but there's no divider, the line in the middle should allways be solid, not dashed. Because it's allways forbidden to cross that line, because you don't need the other direction lane to takeover, as it hapens with 1 lane per direction roads.
In Thailand, we have dashed yellow lines separating opposing lanes in a multiple-lane road, and the thickness of the lines is slightly thicker.
parinandv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #305
queclasetipo123
Registered User
 
queclasetipo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Caracas y Tenerife
Posts: 2,677
Likes (Received): 1470

In Venezuela some lines are white and some yellow

Only White lines








Yellow and White lines







queclasetipo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 05:26 AM   #306
xrtn2
Registered User
 
xrtn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Valadares, Brazil
Posts: 19,676
Likes (Received): 17503

Brazil


BR 470 (RS) by PAC 2, on Flickr


BR 146 (MG) by PAC 2, on Flickr

At night


Curva sinuosa by AndersonSantos., on Flickr
__________________
BRAZIL !

Londres 2017 Paris 2017
Pireneus, França 2017

Penn's Woods liked this post
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #307
xrtn2
Registered User
 
xrtn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Valadares, Brazil
Posts: 19,676
Likes (Received): 17503

Yellow line = no parking also in Brazil


Pavimentação Pato Branco (PR) by PAC 2, on Flickr
__________________
BRAZIL !

Londres 2017 Paris 2017
Pireneus, França 2017

Protteus liked this post
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #308
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens
 
-Valentino-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 87
Likes (Received): 44

I LOVE Yellow center divided lane; easier to distinguish, more clear and much nicer. I don't understand why Europe (besides Norway) uses white on everything; what is worst is that sometimes it's not even double or single white lane, and may use dashed. How are you suppose to know whether is it one or two way road?!
__________________
Jesus Christ - the most influential man in history who spread the universal message of love, peace & forgiveness..
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6

Suburbanist liked this post
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #309
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,471
Likes (Received): 3442

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
I LOVE Yellow center divided lane; easier to distinguish, more clear and much nicer. I don't understand why Europe (besides Norway) uses white on everything; what is worst is that sometimes it's not even double or single white lane, and may use dashed. How are you suppose to know whether is it one or two way road?!
because European road signs are much more distinctive than American
also, here in HR we have one more thing that makes you sure - side cat's eye bars: when the right is red, and left is white, you are sure that you are on two way road. like here.. on the one way roads both left and right are red - example.
however, it is not the rule because it is not standardized: many countries use orange cat's eyes on both sides, in Slovenia and Austria white always marks left edge of the road, red marks the right edge, in Germany they have only white etc.
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #310
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,805
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
I LOVE Yellow center divided lane; easier to distinguish, more clear and much nicer. I don't understand why Europe (besides Norway) uses white on everything; what is worst is that sometimes it's not even double or single white lane, and may use dashed. How are you suppose to know whether is it one or two way road?!
Easy. White is MUCH more reflexive than yellow.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #311
xrtn2
Registered User
 
xrtn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Valadares, Brazil
Posts: 19,676
Likes (Received): 17503

yellow

__________________
BRAZIL !

Londres 2017 Paris 2017
Pireneus, França 2017

KIWIKAAS liked this post
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #312
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens
 
-Valentino-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 87
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Easy. White is MUCH more reflexive than yellow.
That's not true. The reason why America switched from all white to yellow 40 years ago was due to making it more clear and distinguished as well as lowering accident rate.
__________________
Jesus Christ - the most influential man in history who spread the universal message of love, peace & forgiveness..
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #313
albert0123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Amsterdam/Curacao
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
That's not true. The reason why America switched from all white to yellow 40 years ago was due to making it more clear and distinguished as well as lowering accident rate.
Any sign the nuber of accident lowered because of this switch. For in Europe with all the white lines the accident rate is way lower compared to the US.
Please refer to http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/c...ts/by-country/

Last edited by albert0123; February 15th, 2015 at 10:58 PM.
albert0123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #314
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,245
Likes (Received): 781

I doubt that you could attribute differences in accident rate solely to line color. Does anyone have real figures either way?

(Just intuitively, as an American driver, there are times - poor visibility conditions in particular - that it is helpful to have the center line in a different color than the others. And the (supposed) inferior reflectivity of yellow can be solved with cats-eyes....)
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #315
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,805
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
That's not true. The reason why America switched from all white to yellow 40 years ago was due to making it more clear and distinguished as well as lowering accident rate.
What is not true?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #316
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens
 
-Valentino-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 87
Likes (Received): 44

We could all agree that having 2 different colors are more distinguishable (or at least solid/double lanes of same color).
__________________
Jesus Christ - the most influential man in history who spread the universal message of love, peace & forgiveness..
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #317
Xpressway
Experto
 
Xpressway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,494
Likes (Received): 4045

Yellow on the median may help when there is light snow (heavy snow will cover all paint no matter the color).
In highways with barriers or jerseys, yellow may not be needed on the pavement as signals can be placed on the top borders of the barriers to signal the middle.

Yellow on the sides is brutally ugly IMO.
__________________
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #318
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens
 
-Valentino-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 87
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpressway View Post
Yellow on the median may help when there is light snow (heavy snow will cover all paint no matter the color).
In highways with barriers or jerseys, yellow may not be needed on the pavement as signals can be placed on the top borders of the barriers to signal the middle.

Yellow on the sides is brutally ugly IMO.
Actually white paint with snow is very difficult to see; at least with yellow more distinguishable as well.

Yellow on left side and white on right side on highways is fine, as used in North America. Both sides yellow is ugly I agree.
__________________
Jesus Christ - the most influential man in history who spread the universal message of love, peace & forgiveness..
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #319
Kanadzie
Registered User
 
Kanadzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,375
Likes (Received): 748

I think the whole point was to indicate opposite driving direction, so only on left side...
__________________
100 coups de fouet, si vous n'êtes pas morts de rire !
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #320
RawLee
Registered User
 
RawLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Budapest
Posts: 9,447
Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
I don't understand why Europe (besides Norway) uses white on everything; what is worst is that sometimes it's not even double or single white lane, and may use dashed. How are you suppose to know whether is it one or two way road?!
Erm...you see this at the beginning of the road?

RawLee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium