daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #321
K-Bien
Economista

Likes (Received): 9616

In Dominican Republic there is no national standards for the color of the dividing line. On some roads its white, but on most its yellow. There is a highway that heads west from Santo Domingo that on the west bound the solid dividing line is yellow and on east bound its white.

Got to love the Dominican government, they do everything in their power to complicate life. LOL

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #322
K-Bien
Economista

Likes (Received): 9616

Dividing lines in some Dominican highways

Autopista Joaquin Balaguer (RD-1)

Carretera Sabana Iglesias - El Caimito

Carretera Santiago - Licey al Medio

Autopista Francisco del Rosario Sánchez (RD-2)

Autopista de las Américas (RD-3)

xvbvcv liked this post
K-Bien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #323
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Beautiful highways in DR. However, they need to work on the highway sign font.
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #324
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

This is why I HATE white only central divided lane (Is it one or two way road?! How are people suppose to know when there are less cars on the road)....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chriszwolle/15907519438

If it's double white, then fine....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chriszwolle/16069163856/
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #325
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

I've never ever seen a driver mistake a regular two way road for a one way road in Sweden, and seeing how Sweden has a much lower accident rate than the US or Canada, I don't see any benefits of using yellow lines.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #326
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
I've never ever seen a driver mistake a regular two way road for a one way road in Sweden, and seeing how Sweden has a much lower accident rate than the US or Canada, I don't see any benefits of using yellow lines.
Probably because they will stick on the right side (same lane) side rather than risking their lives of potential crashing with other cars. This will also make traffic worse if somebody slows down for any reason unless they are permitted to pass the car in left lane.

There are lower accident rates in parts of Sweden than parts of North America because there are far less cars and people on the roads. Sweden has only 9.5 million people, northern half of the country is empty.
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #327
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
There are lower accident rates in parts of Sweden than parts of North America because there are far less cars and people on the roads. Sweden has only 9.5 million people, northern half of the country is empty.
The accident-rate of almost every EU-country is lower than that of the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #328
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Probably because they will stick on the right side (same lane) side rather than risking their lives of potential crashing with other cars. This will also make traffic worse if somebody slows down for any reason unless they are permitted to pass the car in left lane.
Unlike in North America, people can think for themselves and don't need colour-coded lines to tell them which is which and where to drive.

Quote:
Well, let's compare Norway and Sweden then. Norway uses yellow lines, Sweden white. Persons killed in road traffic accidents per 100 000 inhabitants: 3,0 for both countries in 2012. 3,4 for both in 2011. Conclusion: The colour makes no difference, end of discussion.

Source (table on page 104, plotted values on page 12)

TM_Germany liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #329
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Unlike in North America, people can think for themselves and don't need colour-coded lines to tell them which is which and where to drive.
Doesn't matter whether people can think or not; color distinguished makes it still more clear and easy for drivers. Why make it the harder way? Listen, it's not only about color difference; it's also the dashed lines. If it's double white paint it is fine as well, but don't make one way and 2-way roads look the same.

Quote:
Well, let's compare Norway and Sweden then. Norway uses yellow lines, Sweden white. Persons killed in road traffic accidents per 100 000 inhabitants: 3,0 for both countries in 2012. 3,4 for both in 2011. Conclusion: The colour makes no difference, end of discussion.

Source (table on page 104, plotted values on page 12)
At least Norway makes it easier for their drivers, and know for sure whether it is one or two-way road, unlike in Sweden where at time you are not sure, and because you aren't sure you stick with driving in same lane.
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #330
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
The accident-rate of almost every EU-country is lower than that of the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
I've already asked whether that can be attributed solely to the color of the center line. No one's provided any figures. Instead, we've lapsed into xenophobic bullcrap. As seen in the next post.

Quote:
Reported. Bigot.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #331
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
This is why I HATE white only central divided lane (Is it one or two way road?! How are people suppose to know when there are less cars on the road)....
You've gotta be kidding. Firstly, you see signs on the left side of the road turned away from you, so they must be intended for traffic in the other direction. Secondly, if that was a one-way road, there would probably be a road for the other direction right beside. And thirdly, if the carriageways are separated from each other, you use these signs at the beginning.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #332
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

In bad visibility and on a road that has more than two lanes (2 + 2, say), I find it helpful that the center line - the one that protects me (sort of) from oncoming traffic - stands out from the line that separates the two (or more) lanes going in my direction.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #333
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

What is amusing is American yellow-line is a recent invention, from 1970's. Previously was always white like Europe, in fact, painted centreline on roads was itself American invention too (Michigan circa... 1918?)

So basically yellow line is America's metric system, Europe is backwards and needs to get with the future

Penn's Woods, -Valentino- liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:19 AM   #334
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Road_UK will yell at you for that sort of thing. ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #335
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17503

Brazil

Yellow lines are used to divide lanes flowing in opposite direction:

Inauguração de obras da SP-351 e investimentos em turismo em Nopuranga e Batatais by Governo do Estado de São Paulo, on Flickr

And white lines are used to divide same-direction:

Foram investidos R$ 174 milhões para a implantação de cerca de 10 quilômetros de pistas by Governo do Estado de São Paulo, on Flickr

30.03.2010 - Entrega 1ª fase do Rodoanel - trecho sul by Elisa Rodrigues Photography, on Flickr

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by xrtn2; February 19th, 2015 at 06:26 AM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:30 AM   #336
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Hate? Your shouting looks a childish religious mission. You won't earn much respect by it.

Your example from Sweden is just irrelevant. If there were multi-lane one-way roads in Sweden, they would be signed clearly by traffic signs. In the North, the road markings may be covered by snow and ice for several months every year. Therefore, nobody can trust on their visibility, regardless of the color.

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #337
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
In bad visibility and on a road that has more than two lanes (2 + 2, say), I find it helpful that the center line - the one that protects me (sort of) from oncoming traffic - stands out from the line that separates the two (or more) lanes going in my direction.
We use double white on 2+2 roads, but I don't know why it should stand out on 1+1 roads.
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #338
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Then it becomes a matter of consistency, I suppose....

EDIT: And in really bad visibility, so-bad-you-probably-shouldn't-be-driving visibility, it's good to know that that line to your left is the center line and not the edge of the roadway.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #339
Verso
Islander

Lol, I've driven many times in very thick fog and I always knew which line was which. If the line to your left is the edge of the roadway, that means you drove over the center line at one point, which is quite an achievement, if you aren't drunk. Also, the edge line is always solid, whereas the center line is usually alternately solid and broken. I have no idea how you wouldn't know where you're driving.
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #340
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

Bickering about yellow or white, dashed or solid, is just an excuse for tolerating poor driving and no lane discipline.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote