daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #341
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Lol, I've driven many times in very thick fog and I always knew which line was which. If the line to your left is the edge of the roadway, that means you drove over the center line at one point, which is quite an achievement, if you aren't drunk. Also, the edge line is always solid, whereas the center line is usually alternately solid and broken. I have no idea how you wouldn't know where you're driving.
Some roads have no center line.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #342
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
Bickering about yellow or white, dashed or solid, is just an excuse for tolerating poor driving and no lane discipline.
Troll :-P

(Seriously, if we're going to get into another round of Germans telling the rest of the world how to drive....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #343
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Please don't. As much as I like Germans, they are absolute shit drivers when going on a sightseeing tour.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #344
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

I think it is better to have a different color signaling divide between opposing lane travel. I prefer Norway scheme therefore.

Bear in mind, however, that in Europe there are far less wide multi-lane roads where you are allowed to cross the central line. Turning lanes (aka "suicide lanes") that accept traffic from both directions are uncommon, and sometimes they are painted with (white) zebras.

If I remember it correctly, in Spain it is fairly common to paint a direction of travel arrow on 2+1 roads.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #345
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

I sometimes find these „we are better than you“- threads rather amusing, even if they are childish. Too bad this one got hostile for a while. You can´t compare American road environment with European.

Yellow center lines are good for your orientation, no doubt. But I can´t imagine that they are a crucial element of road safety. Now pursuade the 28 independent road authorities of the EU to change their policy on this point, not to speak of the enormous costs to do so. It also wouldn´t be in line with the Keep-Right-Fetishism. When disoriented, you should always keep as far right as possible.

That American traffic environment is designed to forgive less educated drivers doesn´t mean Americans have empty heads. It would be like saying that the rest oft he World is so dumb that it has to use the Metric system to convert units. I quite envy the Americans for being able to switch between inches, feet, yards and all the other units, using fractions and still have a clue of how much of what is meant.

Penn's Woods, Road_UK liked this post
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #346
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Seriously. It's about LINE COLOR, for God's sake.

But you mentioned fractions. I was surprised to learn this week, when it came up on I forget which thread, that fractions aren't even taught in some countries. That's part of primary-school math here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Kanadzie liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #347
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Some roads have no center line.
That's why we have delineators.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #348
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Seriously. It's about LINE COLOR, for God's sake.

But you mentioned fractions. I was surprised to learn this week, when it came up on I forget which thread, that fractions aren't even taught in some countries. That's part of primary-school math here.
Same here. But as they aren´t used in every day life here people tend to use decimals instead. Sure anyone can handle simple fractions. I don´t think an European would eagerly try to bake/cook something from an American cookbook, certainly not if she had to convert 1 1/6 of a cup, 6 1/8 oz into something metric.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #349
Road_UK
BANNED

What's with all this metric talk lately?
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #350
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
What is amusing is American yellow-line is a recent invention, from 1970's. Previously was always white like Europe, in fact, painted centreline on roads was itself American invention too (Michigan circa... 1918?)

So basically yellow line is America's metric system, Europe is backwards and needs to get with the future

England uses miles too though. What about other countries that uses yellow center line, were they influenced by America's MUTCD?
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #351
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think it is better to have a different color signaling divide between opposing lane travel. I prefer Norway scheme therefore.

Bear in mind, however, that in Europe there are far less wide multi-lane roads where you are allowed to cross the central line. Turning lanes (aka "suicide lanes") that accept traffic from both directions are uncommon, and sometimes they are painted with (white) zebras.

If I remember it correctly, in Spain it is fairly common to paint a direction of travel arrow on 2+1 roads.
Finally a European who agrees with us! Wonder why Norway is the only smart European country though using yellow ? Anyone know the history behind that?
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #352
Road_UK
BANNED

He's not European. You are creating a shit-stir and you don't even see it.
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #353
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
He's not European. You are creating a shit-stir and you don't even see it.
It says he lives in the Netherlands
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #354
Road_UK
BANNED

Not all people in the Netherlands are Dutch.
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #355
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I thought he was from Italy?

But perhaps Suburbanist himself can tell us where he's from. If he so chooses.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #356
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

I just think a different color to separate direction of traffic is a better option. That is all. It is like my preference for graphic drawing signs of road rules abundantly in use in Europe instead of US-style written signs. I think drivers react better to image patterns than having to read a written message when they have just 1-2 seconds to grab the message before distraction or avoidance quicks in.

This has nothing to do with intelligence, character or attributes of people living in a place or other.

Why do forumers on this sub-section have always to make the slightest disagreement into a mud fight and take diverging opinions on infrastructure as insults?

It's so annoying.

Some people prefer different colors, others prefer same colors, some thing country A, B or C should change their road signaling. We can all live with that, but the way some long-time forumers react give me the impression they take it as if people were suggesting sending an armed battalion to repaint road lanes at gunpoint.

Penn's Woods, -Valentino- liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #357
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
What is amusing is American yellow-line is a recent invention, from 1970's. Previously was always white like Europe, in fact, painted centreline on roads was itself American invention too (Michigan circa... 1918?)
There was lots of yellow in the US before the 70s, but road markings varied by state. Yellow did not necessarily mean the same thing as today -- yellow was often used to indicate no passing.

Source: https://ceprofs.civil.tamu.edu/ghawk...rEvolution.pdf

Kanadzie liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #358
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I just think a different color to separate direction of traffic is a better option. That is all. It is like my preference for graphic drawing signs of road rules abundantly in use in Europe instead of US-style written signs. I think drivers react better to image patterns than having to read a written message when they have just 1-2 seconds to grab the message before distraction or avoidance quicks in.

This has nothing to do with intelligence, character or attributes of people living in a place or other.

Why do forumers on this sub-section have always to make the slightest disagreement into a mud fight and take diverging opinions on infrastructure as insults?

It's so annoying.

Some people prefer different colors, others prefer same colors, some thing country A, B or C should change their road signaling. We can all live with that, but the way some long-time forumers react give me the impression they take it as if people were suggesting sending an armed battalion to repaint road lanes at gunpoint.
Indeed.

There are times I don't envy our moderators.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #359
Road_UK
BANNED

I see absolutely no evidence that either the European or American systems are better or worse. It's for one thing what you are used to.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #360
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
There was lots of yellow in the US before the 70s, but road markings varied by state. Yellow did not necessarily mean the same thing as today -- yellow was often used to indicate no passing.

Source: https://ceprofs.civil.tamu.edu/ghawk...rEvolution.pdf
You may confuse with painting the curbs yellow or red which means no parking. All lanes were painted white prior to the 70s. Not sure in Canada though.