daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM   #41
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

The "no ambiguity" argument I think is the strongest argument for the yellow divider line. I quite like it, having grown up with it (Norway), as you _always_ know that the yellow line must be on your left, and on the other side traffic flows in the opposite direction.

Two common arguments for all-white road markings are higher visibility and cheaper "paint". The yellow used for road markings is not as visible as white, and it's also more expensive (which does matter if you need X*1000km of it). The yellow also wears off faster than white, and you can see that on old roads where you can still see the white at the edges but the yellow is barely visible.. AFAIK, both the United States and Norway (and maybe others) have researched the feasibility of changing to all-white, but they found the safety increase wouldn't be that high but the costs would be very high, with the re-education of an entire country and all that. This isn't as much an issue for Norway as it is for the US, and I guess "we" will convert to the European standard at some time.. Though I personally favour the yellow and white combination.. There's nothing like a new stretch of black asphalt with bright, double yellow lines running down the middle
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:36 AM   #42
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Interestingly, the province of Ontario has recently been experimenting with orange line paint in construction zones. From what I understand, the province says the lines are quite visible at night, during the rain and during the snow, however, I can't see the use of orange line paint ever expanded beyond construction zones
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:19 AM   #43
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
AFAIK, both the United States and Norway (and maybe others) have researched the feasibility of changing to all-white, but they found the safety increase wouldn't be that high but the costs would be very high, with the re-education of an entire country and all that.
I doubt it will ever take place. American society is too conservative to adopt any cnahges regardless of how efficient they might be. Personally, I found it very easy to drive with the white central lane, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me. But if they want to make such a big change, I would recommend first to finish something that they have started a long time ago (in early 70s)
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:30 AM   #44
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I doubt it will ever take place. American society is too conservative to adopt any cnahges regardless of how efficient they might be. Personally, I found it very easy to drive with the white central lane, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me. But if they want to make such a big change, I would recommend first to finish something that they have started a long time ago (in early 70s)
Booo! I like my miles, gallons, pounds and degrees Fahrenheit! I can do metric just fine, but the customary system works out well for me. And yellow lines are better as well, if only for lack of ambiguity. It definitely looks nicer, as well; the all-white is a little too striking for my taste. It's nice to know that you cannot go left of the yellow line (at least in the US, I know it's different elsewhere); that makes turning onto unfamiliar streets a lot easier.

I don't think there ought to be a global standard. Countries should do whatever they feel is best by their own citizens. That is who the roads are essentially for, anyway. It also makes traveling that much more interesting. Every time one goes out, there is something new to learn.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:11 AM   #45
Alex Von Königsberg

ADCS, I also believe that yellow line is better than white. That is why it is interesting for me how the DOT will explain why they are switching to white. Saving money is the only logical explanation to that, but the general public will not buy it.

As for the global standard, I think it depends on what you mean by "global standard". I don't want diverse cultural and ethnic groups to lose their identity or language, but when it comes to the roads, I think that global standard will be good for general wellfaire.

One more thing I'd like to say. Naturally, people tend to oppose any changes even if they will obviously bring long-term benefit. Other countries were not born metric, they all switched at some point. And you know who made people switch? Their government. And look now - people all over the world (except USA) are pretty happy that they all measure things in one system instead of converting numerous units into other units. Besides, it would be extremely inconvenient in the age of globalization. Same applies to uniform traffic rules. Think long-term benefits.

BTW, France and Germany are both members of the Geneva Convention, but man, are they different! So, I wouldn't worry about part.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #46
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
ADCS, I also believe that yellow line is better than white. That is why it is interesting for me how the DOT will explain why they are switching to white. Saving money is the only logical explanation to that, but the general public will not buy it.

As for the global standard, I think it depends on what you mean by "global standard". I don't want diverse cultural and ethnic groups to lose their identity or language, but when it comes to the roads, I think that global standard will be good for general wellfaire.

One more thing I'd like to say. Naturally, people tend to oppose any changes even if they will obviously bring long-term benefit. Other countries were not born metric, they all switched at some point. And you know who made people switch? Their government. And look now - people all over the world (except USA) are pretty happy that they all measure things in one system instead of converting numerous units into other units. Besides, it would be extremely inconvenient in the age of globalization. Same applies to uniform traffic rules. Think long-term benefits.

BTW, France and Germany are both members of the Geneva Convention, but man, are they different! So, I wouldn't worry about part.
Oh, I know all the arguments, and needless to say, they are logical, for the most part. However, once again, the US has a big problem with centralized government projects. This is not simply conservatism, it's fundamental to the national character. Now, if states started metricating, then it would happen more quickly. Also, its unwise to forget the historical relationship between W. Europe and the US. We don't have a problem with those standards because they're inherently European, instead, it's more like we have a problem with Europe telling us what to do for the last 400 years. Meanwhile, we have developed standards that work well for us, and along with this, we're powerful enough that we don't have to change.

Of course, metrication came around in the 1970s, and that just happened to coincide with the US citizens being very mad at their government for a good long while, for many reasons. If Watergate and the 55-mph speed limit never happened, I think it would be much more likely that we would be full metric by now; the political will was there at the time. Circumstances just derailed the whole thing.

Besides, most everything important is in metric anyway, who cares what we call it?

OK, back on topic.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM   #47
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I have a question about British road markings. What do those diagonal zigzagged marks at the center and sometimes the edges of the road mean?
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:31 AM   #48
Alex Von Königsberg

On the edges of the road, it means absolutely no parking.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:21 PM   #49
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3442

Quote:
On the edges of the road, it means absolutely no parking.
or better - don't even think to stop there
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #50
Alex Von Königsberg

I prefer this sign much better:

In the USA they paint the kerb in red colour and/or put custom non-standardized signs like this:

Old March 4th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #51
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

Likes (Received): 5227

I went to Nicaragua last christmas and the highways were in good shapes.. it suprises me because is a third world country, some of the roads were new..
here are some pics. As u see they paint the line in white..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #52
Alex Von Königsberg

It's all good, but the original discussion was about the central lane.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #53
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

Quote:
It's all good, but the original discussion was about the central lane.
same thing.. that's the central line, isnt it?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #54
Alex Von Königsberg

Well, on your pictures there is no central line because it is a divided highway.
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #55
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

because it's a green line

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #56
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
because it's a green line

Dutch 100km/h road with green middle markings
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #57
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1820

^ Are drivers allowed to cross that line?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #58
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
^ Are drivers allowed to cross that line?
As far as i know: yes, but this line shows the limit is 100km/h.

But they've gone crazy about the new road markings, all kind of messy lines are found in The Netherlands. Take a look at this:

This is good old stuff:

new shit:

And the worse is: Of all these pictures, there are at least some 5 varieties each. So think of how not-uniform our roads looks. It's completely messy.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #59
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post

Dutch 100km/h road with green middle markings
now that is weird.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #60
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post

Is the idea to straddle that? Interesting idea if that's what's expected.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote