daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #21
GOMUS

Likes (Received): 0

HKskyline, hope u enjoy ur stay in Singapore, even though it is almost month back....
GOMUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #22
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 1000

great shots u hav there!
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #23
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #24
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

wonderful pics of singapore hkskyline!! Really great to have u here in singapore!

JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #25
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
hkskyline's Singapore Trip
You have travelled all around the World, and yet you have "missed" just one place ... that happen to be where, as far as this forum is concern, more action is taking place, then anywhere else.

... Nice pictures of S'pore though, and was wandering if you did stumbble by chance to your old Singaporian friend (in uniform)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM   #26
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I'd notice him but I don't think he'd notice me.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM   #27
Tenacious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Brilliant photo tour, as usual, hkskyline.

Really nice angles on some of those shots, especially looking out at the skyline from the colourful residentials.

Looks squeaky clean and well laid out.

I think hkskyline should wait for 5-10 years at least before attempting to photograph the city where 'more action is taking place, then anywhere else', because it's too busy with construction/jammed for now. I'd like to see it when it's more similar to Singapore
Tenacious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #28
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old May 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #29
zachus22
Proud Torontonian

Likes (Received): 10

Awesome shots of one of the world's gems...

I have a few questions - listed in order of increasing difficulty - for you HK...

1. Does Singapore have its own pop culture or is it influenced by China and other Asian metropolises?

2. I know Chinese Singaporeans are the largest ethnic group in Singapore and the majority of street signs are in Chinese characters, but with hefty populations of both Malays and Indians, how do other Ethnic groups get by language barriers? Are Malay and Indian Singaporeans required to learn Mandarin / Cantonese - not sure which one is dominant - in order to get by?

3. Any idea how significant a role immigration serves in Singapore's population growth?
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus22 View Post

I have a few questions - listed in order of increasing difficulty - for you HK...

1. Does Singapore have its own pop culture or is it influenced by China and other Asian metropolises?

2. I know Chinese Singaporeans are the largest ethnic group in Singapore and the majority of street signs are in Chinese characters, but with hefty populations of both Malays and Indians, how do other Ethnic groups get by language barriers? Are Malay and Indian Singaporeans required to learn Mandarin / Cantonese - not sure which one is dominant - in order to get by?

3. Any idea how significant a role immigration serves in Singapore's population growth?
A local is likely the best resource to answer these questions. A tourist who stays for a few days is not likely to know enough about local culture to adequately address your points. From my observations :

1. Heavily influenced by the Greater China region, but also hints of Indian and Malay influence as well. I see HK sitcoms on local television but in Mandarin.

2. English is used, although not too sure to what extent schools are segregated by race, if at all, or whether everyone ought to learn all the official languages.

3. Immigration is a major policy area for the government as they try to push the population to about 6.5 million.

Old May 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #31
zachus22
Proud Torontonian

Likes (Received): 10

Ah okay. It's cool to see that some of the buildings in Singapore contain architectural elements from the British Colonial period. Cool stuff.
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #32
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 203

Singapore looks so elegant

Is it a gallery, hotel or something?
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #33
Aleho

Likes (Received): 16

wow! singapore is amazing
Aleho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #34
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

ur job must be world traveling
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #35
south
always lost

Likes (Received): 2

singapore is such a beautiful little city-state... i'd love to go and live there for awhile and explore it properly, and I love the photos of all those old buildings with tropical mildew especially. I want to just sit at one of those roadside cafes and watch everything go by.

hey hkskyline, i noticed the singapore flag is upside-down in one of those shots. why is that?
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #36
JoSin
\Attituded\

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus22 View Post

answer:
1.Singapore does not really has its own pop culture though we have home-grown singers that are out there in Taiwan and other parts of Asia. Some examples: Stephanie Sun, Ah Du, Lin Jun Jie...
Through competitions like Singapore Idol, we have actually managed to groom potential singers like Taufik Batisah.
We are somewhat heavily influenced by chinese or taiwanese pop culture.
For Malays and Indians not really very sure.

2. Singapore majority of street signs are NOT in chinese except in Chinatown. The rest of Singapore is either in English or Malay. We learn English in schools, from kindergarten to tertiary education , every student in school is encouraged to speak english with his peers so that we can communicate better with different races. Note that Singaporeans are famous for their "rojak" english, aka Singlish. Thats how it bonds different races together.
We learn our mother tongue ( or our own language, mandarin, malay or tamil) as our second language. So mostly singaporeans can speak at least 2 languages, although more malays and Indians are learning mandarin due to the increase in popularity of the chinese language. Dialects like Hokkien, Cantonese, teochew are not encouraged in singapore, in fact you may be called " low class" if you speak dialects.

3. Immigration is important for singapore's population growth beacuse singapore's birth rate is below the replacement level, which means not enough babies to replace the population. Immigrants from other countries are welcome to singapore which contributes to the economy and this will also increase the market in singapore. Humans are the only natural resource in singapore, we need more people here to drive the economy.

I hope I have explained and answered ur questions well enough.

Old May 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #37
JoSin
\Attituded\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle_Bravo View Post
Singapore looks so elegant

Is it a gallery, hotel or something?
Nah it is Singapore's largest shopping mall Vivocity. I think it has almost more than 1 million sqft of space or something...

Old June 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #38
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
hey hkskyline, i noticed the singapore flag is upside-down in one of those shots. why is that?
Looks like someone didn't do their work properly.

Old June 17th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #39
JoSin
\Attituded\

Great pics of sentosa!

Old June 17th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #40
Skyprince
Asian boi

East meets west, North meets South--- that's enough to explain why Singapore is one of the best countries on earth !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote