daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Transit & Infrastructure

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM   #41
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban 2.0 View Post
well I won't defent Planet Hollywhatever - but the Movenpick if open now would be doing a good business... they just were there 5 years too early. Now with all the condos at Cityplace I bet it would have more business then a weekly CBC tv show - which too is now dead.
Does anyone know what happened to Movenpick anyway? It seems as if they pulled out of Toronto/Canada/International almost entirely. I remember when I still lived in Geneva, we used to go to Movenpick almost daily, and in Toronto the tradition continued.. Until they closed them down
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM   #42
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 278

Movenpick and their franchisee in Canada (Richtree) broke ties, hence why Marché (and Marchélino) are Richtree-branded now. I guess Movenpick wasn't a successful enough venture for Richtree to continue on its own (and rebrand).

Is that space still empty?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM   #43
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 345

Yes, absolutely empty, and it's going to soon be in the heart of the new Yorkville. (I'd say the entertainement district will become ridiculously ritzy!)
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM   #44
ScrapeTheSky
Coruscanti Cognoscente

Likes (Received): 0

Ah I always wondered why Marchelino at Square One went from being Movenpick branded to Richtree branded.
ScrapeTheSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM   #45
phunky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapeTheSky View Post
Ah I always wondered why Marchelino at Square One went from being Movenpick branded to Richtree branded.
I never even noticed. Is the quality still as good I wonder though...
phunky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:30 AM   #46
Jazzy Jessica

I was told that the TELUS building will be connected to Union Station and to Maple Leaf Square so the path is getting closer to the lake! Does anyone know whats happening with the properties on the west side of York Street south of the tracks?
Jazzy Jessica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:16 AM   #47
ScrapeTheSky
Coruscanti Cognoscente

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky View Post
I never even noticed. Is the quality still as good I wonder though...
I don't think I've ever sat down and had a meal at the Square One location. And the last time I went to the Yonge St one was with my ex so I try to forget it.

Back on topic, I've always enjoyed the PATH, and I think extensions to the south would be great for getting to the waterfront. But connecting with the path at Yonge & Bloor should be a priority. Just so you can say you can walk from Union to Bloor without ever going above ground.
ScrapeTheSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM   #48
Gil

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapeTheSky View Post
Back on topic, I've always enjoyed the PATH, and I think extensions to the south would be great for getting to the waterfront. But connecting with the path at Yonge & Bloor should be a priority. Just so you can say you can walk from Union to Bloor without ever going above ground.
While it would be nice to see the PATH network run from Queens Quay to Bloor there aren't very many buildings to string together between College and Bloor unless you go through Queens Park and U of T and connect the offices and various colleges to the system. But then we'd have the current problem in getting to the Eaton Centre from Union of having to go around and out of your way because there is no direct route straight up Yonge or possibly Bay.

Anyone out there have a Perly's mapbook pre-Rand-McNally takeover? I've had to cobble together an incomplete map of the Yorkville PATH from the various buildings' websites. I wonder if the Yorkville PATH has a map inside the system like they do further south? I'll have to check it out if I'm in the area.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:29 PM   #49
KGB

Likes (Received): 43

One solution to bridge PATH to Bloor, could involve the city building under Bay St, from Dundas and hooking up with Manulife. This would be different than what has normally taken place, as it would not really involve any buildings persay, but rather a tunnel under Bay with its own rentable space along the way, and possible knockout access to existing and future buildings along both sides of Bay (of which there are lots).

They could install one of those moving sidewalks like they did at the airport, which will wisk people fairly quickly straight down Bay, from Bloor to Dundas, with get-off points along the way.

This would be expensive to build, but the city could make money by charging rents for retail space in the tunnel itself, as well as charge buildings for underground access. They could also use the Section 37 funds from developers to help pay for its construction. I think it is doable, and with PATH...the Bay corridor and existing Bloor underground, would vault Toronto's underground city into another catagory all together.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM   #50
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6173

Wouldn't that be difficult to do, what with all the infrastructure under street level? ie water, sewage, electric, gas, etc... Would involve a lot of relocation..

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM   #51
KGB

Of course it would...but that's something that has to be dealt with on a regular basis anyway...they're always doing that.

KGB
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #52
rbt

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I was told that the TELUS building will be connected to Union Station and to Maple Leaf Square so the path is getting closer to the lake!
You were told wrong. That was never an intention.

The below grade area under Bremner is reserved for a streetcar tunnel.

Both Telus and Maple Leaf Square will connect to the ACC which does have PATH connection.
rbt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #53
urban 2.0

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
You were told wrong. That was never an intention.

The below grade area under Bremner is reserved for a streetcar tunnel.

Both Telus and Maple Leaf Square will connect to the ACC which does have PATH connection.
So if any building is built to the West of Telus, there will be no path connection?
urban 2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #54
rbt

Quote:
So if any building is built to the West of Telus, there will be no path connection?
Presumably north of Bremner they can connect to either Telus or the Convention Centre.

South of Bremner they would need to link in via Maple Leaf Square.

Once the streetcar line is built they might be able to link over or under it, but for now the links actively avoid crossing Bremner.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #55
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Presumably north of Bremner they can connect to either Telus or the Convention Centre.

South of Bremner they would need to link in via Maple Leaf Square.

Once the streetcar line is built they might be able to link over or under it, but for now the links actively avoid crossing Bremner.
I thought I saw somewhere that the ACC-Maple Leaf Square link would be above ground. Weren't there plans to build a wraparound walkway or something? This would eliminate the need to tunnel under Bremner. Once hooked up to Maple Leaf Square, they could then continue back underground to west of York St. and south of Lake Shore.

As for the Telus Tower, isn't there a provision for a western access from Union Station into the back of the Telus? The very least they could hook up to the eastern York St. Teamway once they fix it up. From here they could also hook up to whatever will get built west of York St. Presumably an underground LRT station at York St. would serve as a connector for all four corners of Bremner and York. This is something I'm hoping they can do at the Queens Quay station once the eastern LRT goes through, tying in the Westin with the McClaren McCann building.

Where exactly would the Bremner LRT come out of the ground? It'd make sense to come up west of York as that stub of Bremner is already heavily trafficked when an event lets out. What happens when you throw in an LRT portal into the mix? Side question: would it be feasible/wise to add a station at Lake Shore/ACC on the 509/510 line? 170
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #56
rbt

Quote:
I thought I saw somewhere that the ACC-Maple Leaf Square link would be above ground.
Yes, you're correct. The ACC portion of the path is above ground, primarily to get over Bremner. The streetcar tunnel will likely go under the ACC. I've heard the ACC was built with the tunnel in mind, but that's second hand information. I have not seen blueprints or plans.

Quote:
As for the Telus Tower, isn't there a provision for a western access from Union Station into the back of the Telus?
It is quite likely the Telus building may include a knockout wall in that location. The original Union Plaza plan was to use that type of a connection to Union station. Plans right now are for Telus to have a PATH connection to ACC only upon completion. In fact, the cities PATH map shows the expected connection.

Quote:
Where exactly would the Bremner LRT come out of the ground?
That would need to be defined as part of an EA. For cost reasons I would expect it to come out on the East side of York. LRT tunnel costs just as much to build as subway tunnel.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #57
Gil

I was just checking out the King Stn. access from Commerce Court under Melinda St. Would it be possible to extend the PATH some 50 odd metres to connect with the new Cosmopolitain hotel on Colborne St.? Another 100m and you could get up to the King Eddy hotel. Wouldn't direct subway access be a selling point for these hotels? (The Hotel Victoria could also benefit from access.)
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #58
KGB

Quote:
Any building(s) on the north side of Bremner (west of York) can simply tie into the already existing "Teamway", which is a part of PATH.

Quote:
Would it be possible to extend the PATH some 50 odd metres to connect with the new Cosmopolitain hotel on Colborne St.? Another 100m and you could get up to the King Eddy hotel. Wouldn't direct subway access be a selling point for these hotels? (The Hotel Victoria could also benefit from access.)

It's "possible" to extend PATH anywhere you want. But we are talking millions, and financially, it is just not feasable to expect these small hotels to be able to do that.

KGB
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:59 PM   #59
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
It's "possible" to extend PATH anywhere you want. But we are talking millions, and financially, it is just not feasable to expect these small hotels to be able to do that.

KGB
When the Cosmo was being built it could've been at least roughed in. I don't think that less than 50 metres of tunnel would amount to millions. Several thousands maybe, but then the City could have seen it as a means of extending the PATH east of Yonge St. at one of the few places where it is possible. I'm sure the 1 King West uses it's access to the PATH as a selling point, why not the Cosmo, and then charge more. It is a boutique hotel after all, who's going to notice? The City's willing to shell out some cash for the northwest extension from Union, why not here?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM   #60
KGB

Quote:
I don't think that less than 50 metres of tunnel would amount to millions. Several thousands maybe
Just the permits would cost thousands. LOL

What would be involved just in terms of engineering it would be horendous, before a single shovel went in the ground, or a light fixture purchased.

The only reason 1King has an entrance, is because a simple access was already there (but I bet it still cost a bundle).

KGB