daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #21
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

I just don't like such "colorful" buildings, sorry! The design isn't my taste!
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #22
G.N
extremely flammable

Likes (Received): 4

that is SO impressive
..and exciting at the same time!
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #23
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5423

@ Cello

At least you like colourfull signatures...

colourfull towers can be horrible, but with the good materials it can work out to be great. Red Apple has lots of glass, and the collored panels are made of high quality anodised aluminium!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodising says this about anodising:

Anodizing, or anodising, is a technique used to coat the surface of a metal with an oxide layer. It may be used to increase corrosion resistance, increase wear resistance, allow dyeing or prepare the surface for other processes and coatings including paint. Anodization changes the microscopic texture of the surface and can change the crystal structure of the metal near the surface. The process derives its name from the fact that the part to be treated forms the anode portion of an electrical circuit in this electrolytic process.

Anodization is frequently used to protect aluminium and titanium from abrasion and corrosion and to allow it to be dyed in a wide range of colors.
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #24
FlyingDutchman

Likes (Received): 272

As seen on the render, I don't think it's that special, I like 'de Maastoren' more.
But I hope my feelings are allright, because something tells me that in real it's gonna be way better than the renders

Go Rotterdam
FlyingDutchman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #25
Rahmani
-|-

Likes (Received): 26

According to the COS (Centrum voor Onderzoek en Statistiek) the population of Rotterdam has been declining and will continue to decline in the coming years.

1995 - 600.000
2006 - 588.000
2010 - 580.000

Rotterdam has the most beautiful skyline in the Benelux and according to what I am seeing, it is going to be more beautiful. What I wonder is how safe it is going to be. I know people who have visited the art hotel in maashaven and where afraid to walk there in the dark and described the area as gettoish. I have also talked to people who where looking for a house and found the area where the Montevideo is build a bit dark and unsafe and then decided to buy a house for the same price in Hilligersberg.

I have read reports on Rotterdam and know it has a high percentage of low educated and low income population. Who are they targeting to move in these new expensive apartments?
Rahmani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #26
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

Likes (Received): 1841

In reply to the last post - this is all old information and refers to the negative image I was talking about.

- The inhabitant numbers decreased due to administrative "cleaning". The city is actually starting to be really popular again due to some great new lowrise city parts in combination with the residential towers.

- Every city has its bad parts, but Rotterdam has become a lot safer over the years. You can in no way compare safety of Dutch cities with other cities anyway - crime rate is so low in this country! The most criminal city is in fact Amsterdam followed by Utrecht. Rotterdam comes in third, but numbers are from the complete metro area while other cities do not use that method.

- Education level and income level have been increasing since 2001 and last year in particular.

All good signs, and no wonder developers have such a great interest in this wonderful city! There is A LOT to improve but it's a great place to live - safe, beautiful, diverse and lively. The fact that this city is never finished attracts a lot of people.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #27
Skycrap
Enschede goes high 8)

Likes (Received): 8

I like the project. I think the depopulation is because more and more people move from inside the city to the suburbs like, capelle a/d ijssel and Krimpen a/d ijssel.

But i really don't like the design of havanna. Why, why, why in godsname, would you built a building they already look old-fashioned when it's finished?
Skycrap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #28
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

@ Skyscrap
Actually, as I explained, that isn't the case. Depopulation was due to administrative cleaning. For example Amsterdam will do this next year which means they will drop at least 15.000 (!!!). The suburbs however do experience depopulation - there are more people moving TO Rotterdam from the suburbs then vice-versa. All is explained on www.rotterdam.nl

Personally I love Havana btw
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #29
Rahmani
-|-

The Rotterdam looks real ugly. The new orleans has something "Miami like" to it.
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #30
Skycrap
Enschede goes high 8)

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBridge View Post
@ Skyscrap
Actually, as I explained, that isn't the case. Depopulation was due to administrative cleaning. For example Amsterdam will do this next year which means they will drop at least 15.000 (!!!). The suburbs however do experience depopulation - there are more people moving TO Rotterdam from the suburbs then vice-versa. All is explained on www.rotterdam.nl

Personally I love Havana btw
Ah thanks for the info!
Skycrap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #31
Roque
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

>>>
Roque no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #32
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

Wow...really impressive...some great projects!
a city like Copenhagen could really learn something from Rotterdam!
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:48 AM   #33
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercitizen View Post
@ Cello

At least you like colourfull signatures...

colourfull towers can be horrible, but with the good materials it can work out to be great. Red Apple has lots of glass, and the collored panels are made of high quality anodised aluminium!

Ok, sometimes horrible renders turn out to wonderful buildings, let's wait,...
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM   #34
AJW
hemelschraper

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBridge View Post
- Every city has its bad parts, but Rotterdam has become a lot safer over the years. You can in no way compare safety of Dutch cities with other cities anyway - crime rate is so low in this country!...
That's not true, the crime rate is well above the EU average.

We are the children of concrete and steel
Everything is possible but nothing is real

Living Colour (1990)
AJW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #35
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

^ I don't think it's very wise to take EU as the standard - cities and countries all over the world have much higher crime rates than EU countries.
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #36
Rahmani
-|-

Is there a list of EU crime rates?
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #37
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

You should be able to Google for that I think.
Murder rate, in my opinion one of the most important due to its publicity effects, have dropt to around 150-200 a year for the entire country (16 million people) of which 18 were in Rotterdam police region (1.2 million people) last year.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #38
cjav

Likes (Received): 117

Rotterdam really isnt that safe.. Something I know from first hand experiences by now The fact that less murders are being commited then before doesnt tell the entire story. If someone wants to murder someone they will no matter what. I think other forms of crime like street violence, robberies, theft and vandalism etc are more important and such types of crime happen plenty in Rotterdam. The solution of the problem lies ( in my opinion) partly at the police and the judicial system , which I think should be alot thougher.. face it crime pays in the Netherlands..
cjav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #39
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

You have a point with that last part - prison is a short holiday in this country. I don't agree with the rest though, I grew up in a small town and have experienced all aspects of crime (murder, bankrobbery, theft, street violence and A LOT of vandalism). I've lived in Rotterdam for years now and I haven't had one single experience and neither have any of my friends.

Anyway, back on topic!
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #40
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5423

There is crime, like everywhere, but not more then in other big cities I think.