daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #181
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Well in Switzerland if the light is red, you have to stop, no exceptions for turning right. Therefore there is only a blinking yellow light while green. There also warning blinking yellow lights for other stuff (accidents in tunnels).

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #182
earthJoker
Ölm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Why would you be slower with a manual transmission? If you keep 1st gear and don't release the clutch while waiting for green light I don't get why you would be slower.
Well it depends, on uphill roads I really like the extra preparation time. I also like it with automatics, when you are on a traffic light with longer periods you can switch to the P gear and get your feet from the brake. Also for very long periods I usually turn of the engine.

Old September 10th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #183
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
Well in Switzerland if the light is red, you have to stop, no exceptions for turning right. Therefore there is only a blinking yellow light while green. There also warning blinking yellow lights for other stuff (accidents in tunnels).
I meant when there is a separate right-turn pocket, in this case the traffic light does not apply to right turning vehicles, instead they have a yield sign.
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #184
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Why would you be slower with a manual transmission? If you keep 1st gear and don't release the clutch while waiting for green light I don't get why you would be slower.
I tend to stick the car in neutral to give my leg a rest. In Britain you always were meant to stick the car in neutral and put the handbrake on at every traffic light!

The amount of traffic lights and the distance you tend to have to drive in Auckland in traffic makes you very thankful for a rest of your clutch leg! Plus, Auckland is very hilly, so you have to do a LOT of hill starts.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #185
earthJoker
Ölm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I meant when there is a separate right-turn pocket, in this case the traffic light does not apply to right turning vehicles, instead they have a yield sign.
Oh, I misunderstood.

Old September 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #186
_Sha_
Earthling

Likes (Received): 14

TRAFFIC LAMPS IN ISTANBUL

haha funny

Some kinds of lamps are black as;

Ankara has also the same

Izmir

Old September 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #187
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

New traffic lights for cars in Burgos, Spain. The ones for pedestrians are some years old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggl View Post
Nuevos semáforos para Burgos

Tras el éxito de los nuevos semáforos instalados hace ańos para los peatones...

y el éxito del nuevo concepto de semáforo para peatones hace algo mas de un par de ańos....

Llegan los nuevos semáforos PARA COCHES a Burgos:

ROJO

AMBAR

VERDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carretero View Post
Otra foto de ayer mismo:

Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #188
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I tend to stick the car in neutral to give my leg a rest. In Britain you always were meant to stick the car in neutral and put the handbrake on at every traffic light!
I also stick to neutral (plus mostly handbrake), but not when I'm, let's say, up to 5th in row...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #189
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I also thought that the clutch wears out quicker if you keep holding it for a long time instead of shifting to neutral and releasing the pedal, is that true? I don't drive a manual car so I don't know for sure
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #190
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

I don't think so, though I'm not a mechanic. It's my understanding that if you FULLY depress the clutch pedal then you completely disengage the engine from the gears, effectively shifting the engine into neutral anyway - hence how you can "roll backwards" down a hill if you can't drive it properly.

I saw some muppet do that in Auckland CBD about 5 months ago. Didn't know how to drive a manual properly and rolled back down the hill and into another car.
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #191
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The Clutch plates can get worn out if you drive and rest your feet on the clutch a little. Some people do that.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM   #192
Hobgoblin
Proud Ex-American

Likes (Received): 0

Some examples of traffic lights in Thailand.

The traffic light situation here is not ideal... there are a few issues:

1) Lights are often placed at the stop line, so if you're the first car, you have to look straight up to see the light change if there isn't one in front of you.

2) Not enough lights in large cities - only at major intersections, so if you are coming off a small street onto a larger one, you have to wait for a break in traffic... which can be a long time, as Thais will never allow a car to pull out in front of them (it's seen as losing face).

On the good side, they often have countdown timers for each phase, so you can see how much time you have to wait.

An interesting light in Krabi:

I added youtube clips (I've seen them here before, but they're not coming up..

Last edited by Hobgoblin; December 3rd, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Hobgoblin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:07 AM   #193
JonAxDrayda
Registered Traffic Driver

(First post, yay! ^_^)

I went through this entire thread, and I only saw one post of the Belgian Traffic Signals. So, I thought; My time to (register &) post (and tell intellectual talk about those)! The images are connected to the text above it.

Well, to start:

- Belgian traffic lights are ALWAYS placed BEFORE the intersection, pedestrian crossing or road works. They are NEVER encountered on interstates or highways.

- Traffic lights have no maximal lens housing of 5 (as seen in the US), as there are some signals somewhere with 9 (arrowed) lenses (left, straight ahead, right, all having separate green, orange, red).

-Traffic lights are always placed on the right side of the street, just after the stopping line, horizontal in comparison with the zebra crossing. They are also often placed above the street, on the left side of the street (again horizontal in comparison with the zebra crossing), on the left side of the street across the junction, and sometimes above the street across the junction. HOWEVER:

- Only the light on the right next to the stopping line and above the street are to be followed. The one(s) on the left next to the stopping line and/or on the left and/or above the street across the junction are for when the right or above aren't visible, or for safety reasons (or for the "Evacuation Arrow", which is described a bit below).

-Usually, streets that are horizontal to each other get green at the same time. (Except when there are only arrow lights controlling traffic.)

- There are the normal, circled lenses.

- There are the arrowed lenses.

- The motion of these (and all other) lights (except crossroad-lights) are:
1: Red. (All streets red for 4 seconds prior to green)
TO
2: Green. (Pedestrian signals turn red 10-30 seconds prior to amber)
TO
3: Amber. (3 seconds)
TO
1: Red. (All streets red for 4 seconds prior to green)

- There are the bicyclist signals. The lenses represent a bicycle.
(FIRST IMAGE COPYRIGHTED BY trafficlinq.nl)

- There are the pedestrian signals. The lenses represent a (green) walking pedestrian and a (red) waiting pedestrian.

(The blinking green/red phase is rarely used in Belgium, and should be replaced with steady red when not.)

- There are the following special lights:

- - There are the 3 circle lights, together with a/2 green arrow light(s) below it, pointing in one/all direction(s) but left: when this/these light(s) burn(s) together with full red, drivers are allowed to drive in the direction(s) the arrow(s) indicate. The traffic that would now cross these flow(s) of traffic are halted by a red light.

- - There is the green arrow light, placed on the left side across the junction, pointing only to the left: this light is also called an "Evacuation Arrow", or "Ontruimingspijl" in Dutch. After the normal flow of traffic (usually, when you cross the junction here as a driver, the other side also has green), the other side gets an earlier red. 1 second after it does, this arrow light will start to burn until 2 seconds in the all-red. When this arrow light burns, the driver(s) that want to turn left and are standing still on the junction are ordered to evacuate and clear the junction. (NOT something like a protected left turn!)

- - There is the flashing yellow-orange light that REPLACES the usual green (circled) light: these are very often placed at pedestrian crossings. They are also placed at junctions where cars coming from the sideways can't cross the junction safely for a long time (but are only placed at one street then, like this: -+), and sometimes at junctions where attention is needed. Unfortunately, these are often mixed up by the drivers with a broken traffic light when dark. This light is just like the green light, except it adds BE CAREFUL to it.

- - On-purpose-placed broken traffic lights: As the title says. The amber light flashes continually. At these kind of junctions, the usual way of traffic rules must be obeyed (as if there were no traffic lights at all). These are placed where traffic lights aren't really necessary, but drivers still have to stop for pedestrians, often for the police to see how the drivers do when the lights are broken. They can't be fixed (hence "On purpose placed").

- - Bus/tram/taxi signals: All lenses are WHITE, and are not to be followed by drivers other than said.
- - - A horizontal line represents red.
- - - A small circle represents amber.
- - - An upside-down triangle represents green.
- - - A dash to the left (like \) represents a green left arrow.
- - - A dash to the right (like /) represents a green right arrow.
- - - A vertical line represents a green straight-ahead arrow.

- There are the Railroad Crossing Signals: which are to be followed by ALL road users (drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians). They are placed at the right and left side of the street, before the trainrails themselves. At crossings where only pedestrians and bicyclists can come, they're only placed at the right side. They are often supported by boom barriers (except at the smaller crossings).

The white light flashes. (30 milliseconds on, 70 milliseconds off.)
The other 2 lenses are red, and flash alternately. (60 milliseconds the left, 90 milliseconds the right)

How this light works, and how drivers have to obey it:
- - The flashing white light is seen as green. Drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians are allowed to cross. Sometimes this light is absent.
- - A bell which rings like a school bell ("DRRRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGG!" in stead of "DING, DING, ...") starts to ring. Red for ALL road users. This continues for 25 seconds, unless there are no boom barriers supporting the lights (mostly at crossroads where only people and bicyclists can come across), where the bell rings continuously.
- - The 2 red lights start to flash alternately when the bell starts to ring. Red for ALL road users.
- - After about 15 seconds, the boom barriers -if present- lower.
- - When the boom barriers are lowered, the bell stops.
- - The train comes and passes.
- - The boom barrier raises again. Red for ALL road users
- - The red flashing lights stop. Red for ALL road users, unless there is no white flashing light present, which makes it green for ALL road users.
- - The bell stops ringing at the smaller crossings. Red for ALL road users present, unless there is no white flashing light present, which makes it green for ALL road users present.
- - The flashing white light starts again if present. Green for ALL road users (present) as soon as they actually see the white light.

Wow... That was one immense long text. Anyway, hope you enjoy reading it all!

Have a nice day! ^_^

Last edited by JonAxDrayda; January 2nd, 2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: EDIT 1: Added some pictures. Edited some grammar faults. EDIT 2: Added one final image.
JonAxDrayda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:17 AM   #194
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Welcome aboard JonAxDrayda. Pretty impressive post with lots of interesting details for a start Thanks for sharing!
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:19 AM   #195
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Wouldn't countdown lights cause more accidents? Because drivers would rush to beat the light. And arrowed Traffic lights can be a pain , most are to short , causing accidents in a rush to beat the arrow before it ends!
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM   #196
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I think Berlin's traffic signal for 'walk' has to be the best. I don't remember any other cities in Germany using it. It's cute, and quite a symbol of Berlin from what I remember.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Much better than Australia's

Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM   #197
JonAxDrayda
Registered Traffic Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Wouldn't countdown lights cause more accidents? Because drivers would rush to beat the light. And arrowed Traffic lights can be a pain , most are to short , causing accidents in a rush to beat the arrow before it ends!
Countdown lights would create accidents, if you think about it.

And you only rush at an arrowed traffic light when you know the traffic light's cyclus.
You only rush at any traffic light when you know it's cycle.

But still, that's what the drivers themselves do; be stupid and rush in stead of drive nicely. (No insulting intended to any of you)

Good advice is to be careful, and watch out: both especially at intersections, railroad crossings and pedestrian crossings. ^_^
JonAxDrayda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #198
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I think Berlin's traffic signal for 'walk' has to be the best. I don't remember any other cities in Germany using it. It's cute, and quite a symbol of Berlin from what I remember.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Much better than Australia's

I read in a tourist guidebook for Germany that these were just in the former East German part of the city, which could explain not seeing them elsewhere in Germany. I agree, you have to love the little guy with the hat!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM   #199
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

They also have the ampelfrau in places as well! These little missies can be found in Dresden.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM   #200
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
These are interesting. Where are they?
This may be the most delayed response ever, but they're in Pleasanton, California (San Francisco Bay Area), corner of Owens Drive and Hacienda Drive (south of I-580).

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Natomasken; January 3rd, 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Original image link didn't work.
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote