daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #261
traffic-light-man

Likes (Received): 0

2 second red and amber, and 3 second amber. Fixed times by law, no variations. We can however, vary the Inter-green and Inter-stage timings, although inter-green isn't usually more than 7 seconds, inter-stage isn't usually more than 2 seconds.

My Traffic Blog! | Traffic Signals Online | TSO - The Gallery - NEW!
traffic-light-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #262
traffic-light-man

Some overhead mast arms in the UK. These aren't all that common here, and we also make use of a lot of double-stacked signal heads, as also seen in bottom pictures:

Old January 24th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #263
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
Where did you see those? I've seen them in construction zones (temp lights), but I don't know if I've ever seen many that are just hanging on a rope. That's pretty cheap.
Those are common in areas where there are strong winds or frequently hit by hurricanes. This is the best solution in such regions I believe.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #264
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Interesting stuff. I guess most amber phases would resemble the ones in the countries mentioned so far.

Nice pictures, traffic-light-man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAxDrayda View Post
In Belgium, ... depending on the length of the green...
Longer than 3 minutes: (non-)busy road = 4 seconds.
A green phase of longer than 3 minutes!?
Wow, I had no idea! I've never known of a green phase of longer than 90 seconds in any of the countries I've visited (although I haven't visited Europe). And since you wrote "(non-)busy", I'm wondering why such a phase would be necessary on a non-busy road?

Last edited by deranged; January 24th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #265
JonAxDrayda
Registered Traffic Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by deranged View Post
Interesting stuff. I guess most amber phases would resemble the ones in the countries mentioned so far.

Nice pictures, traffic-light-man.

(Here was a Quote of JonAxDrayda's previous post(s))

A green phase of longer than 3 minutes!?
Wow, I had no idea! I've never known of a green phase of longer than 90 seconds in any of the places I've visited. And since you wrote "(non-)busy", I'm wondering why such a phase would be necessary on a non-busy road?
This is not common, so it's only natural if you didn't encounter it.
And the "3 minutes +"-phase is also on non-busy roads, but in that case it's regulated by only the system controller, and no vehicle detector beneath the asphalt surface can be found.

90 seconds green are usually just enough for some roads, but that's very rare. Usually, there's a 2 minutes green phase, other lengths are rare.

If you can find that I am wrong, then that means my mind-timer's not correct. But I'm fairly sure I'm correct.
No, Belgium (still) didn't split up! We're still a whole.

"MY" SCOOTER (MOPED): Kymco Agility City 50cc

QUOTE: "You only learn stuff with falling & standing up again. Especially with a scooter (moped)..." *ouch*
JonAxDrayda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #266
deranged
okay then

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAxDrayda View Post
This is not common, so it's only natural if you didn't encounter it.
If you can find that I am wrong, then that means my mind-timer's not correct. But I'm fairly sure I'm correct.
Sorry, I didn't clarify properly what I meant. I wasn't doubting you, and I haven't yet visited Europe. Having not seen a green phase over 90 seconds in any of the countries that I have visited, I was surprised to hear that such a length existed anywhere in the world. I've corrected the post.

Last edited by deranged; January 24th, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #267
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

2 minutes for one green phase is extremely long.

In the Netherlands, they try to make the entire cyclus of one traffic controlled intersection 2 minutes max.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #268
deranged
okay then

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In the Netherlands, they try to make the entire cyclus of one traffic controlled intersection 2 minutes max.
Same goes for urban areas in Australia.

Unfortunately, at a few locations in Brisbane, they use sensor-controlled lights in parts of the day at intersections where traffic on the side road is regular but not continuous in nature. Sensors activate a change in phase almost immediately. As such, once the heavy traffic on the main road gets a green, a couple of vehicles will invariably approach from the side road within a few seconds, causing the lights to change again. So the continuous main-road traffic frequently has to stop for the non-continuous but regular side-road traffic. At its worst, I've seen the main road stay green for 3-5 seconds before turning amber and red again.

It's not a widespread problem, but it's highly inefficient.
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #269
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Same goes for urban areas in Australia.

Unfortunately, at a few locations in Brisbane, they use sensor-controlled lights in parts of the day at intersections where traffic on the side road is regular but not continuous in nature. Sensors activate a change in phase almost immediately. As such, once the heavy traffic on the main road gets a green, a couple of vehicles will invariably approach from the side road within a few seconds, causing the lights to change again. So the continuous main-road traffic frequently has to stop for the non-continuous but regular side-road traffic. At its worst, I've seen the main road stay green for 3-5 seconds before turning amber and red again.

It's not a widespread problem, but it's highly inefficient.
We get exactly the same thing in Sydney sometimes. Particularly after rain, which seems to make the sensors malfunction, the green light for the main thoroughfare will last for five seconds or so, before a twenty or thirty second green light for the intersecting minor road with no cars on it.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #270
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
We get exactly the same thing in Sydney sometimes. Particularly after rain, which seems to make the sensors malfunction, the green light for the main thoroughfare will last for five seconds or so, before a twenty or thirty second green light for the intersecting minor road with no cars on it.
Because of rain? I asked a traffic count expert about these sensors, he said they can even measure traffic if they're under 2 inches of asphalt or bricks. He said even a steel nose in your shoe can activate it.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #271
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

These sensor-controlled traffic lights usually cause more chaos than regular ones. Not to mention their horrendous costs. This is blatantly evident in Poznań for instance.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #272
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
These sensor-controlled traffic lights usually cause more chaos than regular ones. Not to mention their horrendous costs. This is blatantly evident in Poznań for instance.
There are some situations in which they are a good idea. When they work properly, they can be very effective where a busy road crosses a quiet street, such as the traffic lights at the end of my street where it meets the main road. For busy intersections, however, between more than one busy road, it's probably better to go without sensors.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #273
traffic-light-man

Our Cycle times are usually around 72.75 seconds.

Green can be ever-lasting depending on VD state.

Our VAD (Vehicle Actuation Detection) Loops are installed at nearly every intersection. They simply tell the controller what amount of cars is where, and then the controler switches to whatever stage in a set program pattern, which is saved in the EPROM of the controler.

MOVA - Microsprosessor Optimised Vehicle Actuation - works out where vehicles are and how long they have been there, and then optimises the cycles to suit. This therefore only usues the VA (above) system if MOVA fails.

Our traffic loops (VAD) loops are square, chevron or diamond in shape, and usually take up around 0.5-1 meter of carriageway overall, and therefore a steel toe-cap boot would not activate one

Old January 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #274
deranged
okay then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
There are some situations in which they are a good idea. When they work properly, they can be very effective where a busy road crosses a quiet street, such as the traffic lights at the end of my street where it meets the main road. For busy intersections, however, between more than one busy road, it's probably better to go without sensors.
Absolutely agree.

In the intermediate case of arterial roads meeting collector roads, the latter of which is only busy at peak times, sensors could be used in quiet periods, while peak periods would benefit from either fixed cycles or a variation in the effect of the sensors - such as guaranteeing the main road a certain minimum length of green phase.

In the case of traffic lights between two often quiet roads - generally, school zones, tourist zones and the like - I've rarely seen fixed cycles, luckily.
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #275
traffic-light-man

I dissagree.

Fixed time control cycles only work when there is an unprecidented amount of vehicles using the junction, and they do not cooporate with traffic flows at that present time.

IMO, a good, well thought out VA system, or a system which works out everything that needs to be taken into considderation will cope very well.

Attaching a set of signals to SCOOT or a SCATS type system in a large signals network will help, however in my experience, the SCATS system in Dublin does not work as people, or certainly I, would expect.

As a pedestrian, I would never expect to wait 3 minuites for a green pedestrian signal, which may just be because I am aclimatised to the sensibility (IMO) of UK timings.

Old January 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #276
deranged
okay then

I won't doubt your expertise. Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I don't see "a good, well thought out VA system, or a system which works out everything" arriving where I live within the next 300 years, and was only thinking of what could be done with the systems that we currently have. There's no doubt that such a system would be optimal.
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #277
DELCROID

Likes (Received): 790

Venezuelan traffic lights - II (I: #206, p.11):

Last edited by DELCROID; January 28th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
DELCROID no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #278
DELCROID

Venezuela:

Old February 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM   #279
traffic-light-man

Quote:
I won't doubt your expertise. Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I don't see "a good, well thought out VA system, or a system which works out everything" arriving where I live within the next 300 years, and was only thinking of what could be done with the systems that we currently have. There's no doubt that such a system would be optimal.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that there isn't a bad system, because I can't say, having never been to Brisbane.

I am, however, saying that I think there are good VA systems out there already, you just need to look for them.

Is Brisbane not on a area wide network?

DELCROID,

Brilliant pictures there from Venezuela, thanks.

It's interesting to note that they use US signals in Venezuela, although I believe other makes from elsewhere in the world can be found.

The backing boards do make them look quite interesting, to say the least. They are setup with backing boards in the same way (yellow head, black backing board, white border) in lots of Spain, however knowing these are US heads, it's different

Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM   #280
DELCROID

Thanks,.

Perhaps some of the traffic light companies try to come up with some ideas of their own thus making these original hybrids but I don´t know the reason behind the making of such models.

I have a question: It seems yellow colour works better in areas where there is greenery (trees, mountain backgrounds) and black painted ones in areas where there is more light reflection (bulidings, open or cloudy sky) ??????. Perhaps a traffic light signal using a combination of both black and yellow could be ok in some places where greenery and light reflection are both present; I don´t know. Yellow has been the most widely used colour for many years but now black colour is becoming more widely used in some urban areas.

I think there are at least 3 or so local traffic light manufacturers with some products of their own (controllers, software, posts, etc). Some of them are:

Grupo Invicta

Semavenca:

Grupo Sisstro

Semaforos Los Llanos (?¿)

Last edited by DELCROID; February 3rd, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
DELCROID no está en línea   Reply With Quote