daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #281
traffic-light-man

Likes (Received): 0

Ah..

Do you think these companies might buy thier signal heads from other manufacturers and then simply distribute them?

I know this has been common place in different places (and still is) where a companies main aproach is to provide controllers.

My Traffic Blog! | Traffic Signals Online | TSO - The Gallery - NEW!
traffic-light-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #282
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic-light-man View Post
Some overhead mast arms in the UK. These aren't all that common here, and we also make use of a lot of double-stacked signal heads, as also seen in bottom pictures:

Heh these British lights look almost identical to the ones in Israel, except for the lack of an arrow above:

I'm pretty sure the Israeli lights are inspired by British ones (as is the red+yellow combination phase), which is not surprising given the British mandate in the area until 1948. But I wonder who manufactures them.
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #283
traffic-light-man

Yeah, you are probably right.

Look at Hong Kong for example: they use Philips (internationally found) and Futurit EU heads (amongst others) conforming to British Standards, but not British legislation, which bans thier use over here.

If you manage to find a close up picture, it should be prettey easy to determine manufacturer, although I'm prettey sure it will be Futurit or VRX.

Old February 19th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #284
DELCROID

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic-light-man View Post
Ah..

Do you think these companies might buy thier signal heads from other manufacturers and then simply distribute them?

I know this has been common place in different places (and still is) where a companies main aproach is to provide controllers.
There are some companies who only buy traffic light equipment (importers and such) and then installing such systems but I think at least Semavenca do design and manufacture their own and also have them as export items. It is a small company with about 70 employees and from what I could gather the company follows NEMA standards (National Electrical Manufacturing Association for Traffic Control Systems). However, there are many other companies in the country who could manufacture traffic light components with no problem whatsoever (metal posts, electrical and electronic equipment, lights, metal cases, traffic control software, led signals, etc.).

Semavenca:

For example, Grupo Invicta (Invicta Electronica) manufactures 8" and 12" head lamps using ITE norms (Institute of Traffic Engineers) and also fully designed and built this traffic controller -"Controlador de Trafico CTC-1000" and developed sofware programs:

And Grupo Sisstro manufactures some traffic control equipment through its branch Industria Electrónica Andina: the GIT-4200 series (such as the GIT-4200N using NEMA TS1 norms) and the GIT-8300C following Covenin Norm 2753:1999: .

The GIT-4200 Series: http://www.sisstro.com/textos/GIT-4200N.pdf
The GIT-8300C: http://www.sisstro.com/textos/GIT-8300C.pdf

It seems like they also have the capacity to manufacture head lamps, commuters, etc...

Setecca is another company manufacturing head lamps, 8" and 12" led signals and traffic controllers such as the TMC-400 and the TMC-800 using Covenin Norm 2753: http://www.setecca.com/setecca%20web...%20SETECCA.pdf & http://www.setecca.com/setecca%20web...%20TMC_800.pdf

Metalurgica Lugeda - another small company, designed and manufactures this portable traffic light:

Semaforos Yaracuy on the other hand is an installation and maintenance company:

There could be other companies....I´ll try to find out.

Last edited by DELCROID; February 20th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
DELCROID no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #285
traffic-light-man

Thanks very much, that's awsome.

We have Siemens, PEEK, TSEU Tellent and MOTUS opperating in UK. I'll stick some pics of thier equiptment together shortly.

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #286
DELCROID

I think Siemens has a sales office in Caracas. There are also some asian and mexican imports too. I don´t know about any other european or american brands in the country; probably there are some sales representatives.

Here are some more from Venezuela:

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #287
DELCROID

Old March 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #288
traffic-light-man

Brilliant pictures again there, thanks!

It seems that the authorities can't make thier mind up between red hand/white walk and red wait/green walk, is this because each area uses different lanterns or whatever?

Old April 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #289
nils16

Likes (Received): 164

Chiang Mai, Thailand

HQ+GPS: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20794373

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20794403

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20793805

I really liked the Countdown displays!
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #290
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

The wierdest ones i've seen are the ones in Havana which are just colored LED numbers that count down the seconds until the light changes. can't find any pictures though
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #291
paulc74

Likes (Received): 1

I don't have any pictures but I'll try and describe the lights in Vancouver, Canada and its suburbs

Ok first rule is a right turn is allowed on a red (unless posted) but you must come to a complete stop before proceeding.

No U-turns are allowed. Although some interesections used to have signs allowing them.

first basic light

RED
YELLOW
GREEN

In this case to turn left you pull forward and wait for a gap or wait until the yellow red sequence

RED
YELLOW
GREEN
FLASHING GREEN

Same as above, except now the left turn lane gets a limited time left turn. The amount of time the left turn arrow flashes does depend and is not set to a preset time. I'll explain later.

Once the Flashing Green stops the light riverts to the first light. In that case you then pull forward and wait for a gap or wait until the next yellow to red sequence.

Some left turn lanes have their own dedicated light of

Red
Yellow
green Arrow (flashing or not)

You can only turn left when you see the green arrow. Otherwise you are not allow to pull forward and wait.

Most intersection will have a light on the left side of the road for people turning left. On the right hand side of the road for people turning left and using the curb lane. And Generally there is at least 1 and possibly 2 lights directly over the through lanes.

Some lights that sit on the right side of the road will have a right hand turn arrow depending on how much traffic goes right at that intersectio. Example

Red
Yellow
Green
Right Flashing Green arrow.

What this means on a right turn if you see the green arrow, you can go and not have to worry about anybody or anything as no pedestrian or other vehicle should be crossing your path.

All roads in BC with a speed limit greater than 60KM/H. Have an advanced warning board of two yellow flashing lights about 100M before the traffic light. They are timed so that if you are doing the speed limit and the lights on the board start flashing just as you are about to go under it you will make it through the light. But someone who is two cars back will not make it if they are doing the speed limit.

Now for the length of time of the advanced green arrow on a traffic light like this one

Red
Yellow
Green
Flashing Green Arrow

On most newly designed intersections the left turn bay will have 2 sensors. One sensor is at the very front of the lane and the next sensor is 2 cars back.

So if one car is sitting on the front sensor with no cars behind it the flashing arrow will not light up and the front car just pulls forward and waits.

But both sensors are covered than the flashing green arrow will come on. It is one of the secrets to driving late at night. If someone is in front don't pull right up behind them. But stop on the 2nd sensor and because both sensors are covered you will force the arrow to come on.

The timing of the arrow is based on how much traffic is passing over those sensors. Once it sees a gap it will stop the flashing arrow. So to keep it flashing you need to keep up with the car in front of you. But there is a set limit to how long the light will keep flashing.

There is one light in the city of Coquitlam (suburb of Vancouver) That has a light with a slightly different sequence than most lights in Vancouver. Basically all Northbound traffic gets a full green (left, straight and right turn). Then they get a full red. At which point all southbound traffic gets the full green, then then get the full red. It then switches to all westbound and then all eastbound and finally back to all north bound. At no point does any two directions get a green at the same time.

As for sensors one thing they do in Vancouver is during the day the lights are preset for time and sequence (other than the left turn bay and tripping the green arrow). But at night if your light is red and you come up to the light and the other direction has no traffic. You will trip the light to go green. And the same works the other way as well. So at night the light right by my house can change from green to red to green within 30 seconds and sometimes less. Depending on traffic. If a light is green going east and west it will stay green. Until someone going north or south comes along. At which point it will change.

I'll try and get some pictures some day for examples

Otherwise we use the basic yellow back board and vertical lights.
paulc74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM   #292
TheCat

Interesting report. Very good to know that Vancouver makes use of sensors with its traffic lights. In Toronto and its suburbs, aside from some left turn arrows, where you also have (sometimes) a pair of sensors, as far as I know, no sensors are ever used for main traffic. This is EXTREMELY frustrating while driving at night. Whenever I drive at night I have to sit at red lights on major streets (intersecting minor, sometimes completely insignificant streets) without any reason (absolutely zero traffic anywhere).

I think that late at night lights should either have sensors, or be completely turned off like what is done in some European countries. At these times I never find more than, literally 2-3 cars around me at any time. This is perhaps not so true of main downtown streets, where there is always some traffic (especially on some days), but almost complete absence of traffic is always the case anywhere uptown and in the suburbs.
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM   #293
paulc74

Not all intersections have sensors on all lanes. Only the newly redesigned ones do. I've been stuck at a few lights late at night with a long light in the other direction. I remember being stuck at one last winter in a snow storm. I didn't know where the sensor was. So after awhile I said screw it and made a left turn on a red light.

I know some intersections are set so that if one direction lets say N-S is the major road and E-W is the none major road. The light will stay green for the N-S route. Someone coming E-W will trip it and get a green. Then the signal will go back to the N-S automatically.

I wouldn't support turning off lights in Vancouver. Too many people would just drive really fast through the intersection. There is still at least 1-2 cars every 10 seconds late at night at the intersection by my house. And that is coming from all directions.

A better idea I think would be to have it flashing red in all directions. Therefore becoming a 4-way stop.
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM   #294
TheCat

Well, yes, this would work better in North America. In many European countries traffic lights also have signs that tell you what to do in the absence of traffic lights, which blink yellow usually (one road typically has a "priority" sign, and the other would have a "yield" sign).

As for being stuck at red lights on a left turn (or going straight), one way to do it "legally" is to make a right turn on red (which is allowed) and then, if the road allows, do a U-turn shortly after. I've done that a few times at night
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM   #295
paulc74

There are only two roads in the City of Vancouver that allows U-turns. I'm not sure about the suburbs. The only reason they allow u-turns is because they have a large grass meridean in the middle. Which allows you to essentially do 2 left turns, hence forth a u-turn.

It is quicker to just wait the light out in Vancouver, rather than trying to go around a different route.
Old October 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #296
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

I'm not sure if somebody mentioned this yet, but traffic lights in Singapore seem similar to those found in Japanese cities
tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #297
juansebastian71
Juansebastian71

Likes (Received): 146

Traffic Lights in Villavicenio (Colombia, South America)

In my city, traffic lights are manufactured with the European standard, which is a white pole, lamps with LED technology and a poster with a white line around.

By juan_sebastian71, shot with DSC-W55 at 2009-10-11

By juan_sebastian71, shot with DSC-W55 at 2009-07-23
juansebastian71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #298
Marco925

Unorthodox light in Niagara Falls

A weird one that used to be found in Niagara falls (2560x1920 warning)

Basically it consisted of the two left lights which were 12-12-12-12-12, The standard Red yellow and green, with the bottom two being a Protected Forward Arrow and a Protected Left arrow, the one on the right carries only a forward arrow on the bottom. The two left ones were replaced with the standard 4 phase lights with just the green and left arrow, the right one remains the same.

Last edited by Marco925; February 12th, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Marco925 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #299
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

Thailand, Krabi :-) (with red/green counter)
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #300
Richie D.
Der Sklave der Republik

Costa Rica has standard American-type three-light traffic lights (most of them are LED lights nowadays), with the red light being bigger than the rest on most traffic lights. Some are on special posts, but most of them are suspended from wires. They're very difficult to see because on many, the stop line is drawn very close to the actual traffic lights, plus there are only overhead lights. Here's a picture I found on Google:

image hosted on flickr

The sequence is: Red, Green, Flashing Green, Yellow, Red (No Red-Yellow sequence like in Europe).

Traffic lights for pedestrian traffic are very rare. Most of them are in the city centre (in the rest of the regions, you have to really take a chance to cross the street, because neither knows how to cross them and drivers often don't respect a red light) and there are different systems. Some are just two-light systems with red and green lights (plus a sound that is made during the green phase for visually impaired pedestrians), others even have a countdown system (plus the sound). A picture I took when I went to the city last week of such lights:

Sequence on standard pedestrian lights: Red, Green, Flashing Green, Red
Sequence on pedestrian lights with coundown display (the equivalent standard lights are under parenthesis): Standing Figure (Red), Walking Figure with Forward Count (Green), Running Figure with Forward Count (Flashing Green), Standing Figure (Red)