daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #361
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
It tells police the traffic light is red. If a car runs the signal, the cop knows he broke the law.

In California, they are small blue dots.
Newer ones are red and are commonly referred to as "Rat Boxes". They are becoming very popular for law enforcement because red-light running has become a chronic problem.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #362
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I spotted a traffic signal solely for horses on a country road near Hoevelaken, the Netherlands. Apparently, these horses cross the road a few times per day, so they installed a traffic signal.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #363
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Umn, why is both the red & amber showing? As far as I'm aware, you don't have that in the Netherlands.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #364
philimonas

Likes (Received): 0

They are two amber lights, probably flashing.
philimonas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #365
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

I think the top light is actually a red light, but that the picture was taking at the exact moment that the orange and red light were changing their state. I don't understand why the light would go to red (because it seems they're closing those gates) or why the orange light would be on at that moment because after red, there's normally green in the Netherlands...

I think it's a good solution to prevent accidents. Haven't seen that kind of situation before yet though.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #366
philimonas

I still think it's flashing

In the first picture, all lights are off. On the second one, two amber lights are on. So two amber lights blinking -> yield to all traffic (= horses).

Chris, tell us the truth!
philimonas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #367
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Need more American stop lights..........
all are from Wikipedia (and taken in the state of Wisconsin)

brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #368
julieCEO
BANNED

Lights are good to control traffic. In USA their is lots of traffic. So it is very important to control them.
julieCEO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #369
Gareth
Keltlandia

I hate horizontally-alligned arrangements. Vertical is much better. It's even worse when a state or country uses a mixture of both.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #370
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
TheCat, unprotected left turns give you additional driving skills When I was in Vancouver, I noticed that there were indeed very few protected left turns, and, compared to Washington, they were very quick.
What you do in that case, is wait till the light turns yellow, then go. That's what I did when I lived in North Vancouver and ventured in to Vancouver before realizing riding a bicycle is the best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Does anybody here has problems with poorly timed traffic lights?
There's the odd one around here. The big annoyance being that the yellow phase is far too short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoju75 View Post
I like this one

And, this one is really funny too.........but hopefully it's just a sculpture in London, simply called "traffic lights tree"
Yup. That's just a decoration. I can just see the chaos THAT would cause, were it an actual traffic light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Synchronized lights are an improvement, but not the best way. The best way is careful timing so that when you get a green light, the chances that you will encounter a red are minimized. Instead of changing at the same time, they should be changing one after the other in sequence but with a small delay. However, most lights in Toronto are not timed at all, so synchronization does help.
That's the function of synchronized lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAxDrayda View Post
Those are the Lane Control signals.

The green arrow (always points down) simply means that you can use this lane.
The yellow arrow(s) (always pointing to the left and/or right) mean(s) that the lane is closing up ahead, and that you need to go to the lane(s) next to it.
The red cross simply means that you can not drive on this lane.

Site with more info on Lane Control Lights can be found here.
I've never seen the one that indicates drivers to move into two different lanes at the same time (three lane road, middle lane closed), but the rest are familliar, if not universal.
Canada (I'll go with the ones used in British Columbia):
Red X: Lane closed to traffic. Oncoming traffic is using this lane.
White Arrow pointing to an adjacent lane: Move into lane indicated. This lane is closed ahead.
White X (Usually flashing): Congestion ahead. Reduce speed and be prepared to stop.
Green arrow/X (Green X is extinct so far as I know): Drive in this lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Women driving in high heels ....now THAT is dangerous! lol
The TV show "Canada's Worst Drivers" comes to mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by philimonas View Post
They are two amber lights, probably flashing.
I had a look and that what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I hate horizontally-alligned arrangements. Vertical is much better. It's even worse when a state or country uses a mixture of both.
I like them. They don't blow about in strong winds. They are less likely to be damaged by over sized loads.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #371
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
That's the function of synchronized lights.
Not exactly. If we're being very technical, synchronized lights are ones that change at the same time, whereas coordinated lights are ones that change "intelligently", usually one after the other (along a street) taking into account the speed limit.

Synchronized lights are generally used by older systems, and do a decent job along dense downtown streets that have many lights within a short distance. In general, however, they are inferior to properly coordinated lights. I think the lights on many Manhattan streets are synchronized (they seemed like that to me).

Either way though, referring back to my original comment - in Toronto, according to this, most lights are controlled by a central computer, and so I assume some form of coordination is used, although in general it is not very good. That page also mentions a system (SCOOT) that dynamically responds to traffic volumes, which sounds like something that would work well, but currently only 15% of the signals are using it.

By the way, if you want to see an example of very bad traffic light coordination in Markham (a suburb of Toronto), please take a look at a video I made about 1.5 years ago (the link forwards the video to the relevant spot):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv0kxyjrmc4#t=3m45s
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #372
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Albuquerque traffic lights with Red Light Camera:

image hosted on flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #373
traffic-light-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by philimonas View Post
I still think it's flashing

In the first picture, all lights are off. On the second one, two amber lights are on. So two amber lights blinking -> yield to all traffic (= horses).

Chris, tell us the truth!
It'll be the exposure of the camera as the lantern went from amber to red.
OR.
As it drops from red into flashing amber, before switching off altogether, unless it rests in flashing amber and the other picture just caught it when in the 'off' part of the flash.

--

Wisconsin signals are the best IMO, probably because they are most like UK ones in terms of ground level signals.

--

I was told that the red + on the rear of French signals were to allow drivers in the junction to see that the signals have changed, and that they could exit the junction safely. Like a cheap-fix green arrow, but not requiring any cycle time as its merely information (mirroring that of the opposite direction's red aspect), not an actual part of the cycle.

My Traffic Blog! | Traffic Signals Online | TSO - The Gallery - NEW!
traffic-light-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #374
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Albuquerque traffic lights with Red Light Camera:
I see those lights in the series 'Breaking Bad' all the time. I wanna go to New Mexico now!
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #375
bogdymol
bogdymod

Useless traffic light in Arad, Romania:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #376
Gareth
Keltlandia

Looks like the red should just be a normal non-arrow light, but due to the kink in the road ahead, some daft get decided that a right arrow was necessary, despite the confusion this obviously causes with the real right turn signal.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #377
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Horizontal traffic lights are stupid. Vertical lights are better because as a fail safe, you register information from two sources: the color and the position of the light.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #378
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Nah, they are good if you place them right. I like what Switzerland and Liechtenstein does with them - they put the lights under the directional signs, so it's very clear which light stands for which direction:
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #379
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I think Paddington was referring to the position of each individual colour in the sequence of the lights, since the red light is usually at the top. However, the same thing generally applies in places where horizontal lights are used, though I presume it might be a bit more difficult to decide what side the red light should be on (the left makes sense in this case, since in many languages reading is done left to right).

And by the way, that's a really cool thing in Switzerland! Do most lights have an accompanying direction sign?
Old July 11th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #380
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I think Paddington was referring to the position of each individual colour in the sequence of the lights, since the red light is usually at the top.
Yeah, I know. I might have oversimplified my answer a bit - What I meant was "Vertical lights are better in general, but there are some cases where horizontal layout has some advantages"

Quote:
And by the way, that's a really cool thing in Switzerland! Do most lights have an accompanying direction sign?
No, such lights are only a 'bonus' to an overhead gantry with directional signaling. And I've visited Switzerland only for few days so I don't know much about it, but I wouldn't say that the Swiss use them more frequent than other Wester European countries.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote