daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #481
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

The intersection in the picture of the N3 wich is now a roundabout used to look just like this...

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #482
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Nice pics. About the roundabout, alot of intersections that were turned into roundabouts, are being reverted back into their original state in the comming years. So we'll get to see more traffic lights in the future

Last edited by Wimpie; January 5th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #483
joshsam
JR

Are you sure? I don't think this will be the case though...It was a 5 road intersection with a lot of crashes each year...Now almost none...Btw the intersection(s) of the N80 I showed - there are 3 more like this near the city center of Sint-Truiden on the same road- will all get an underpass and roundabout on top...
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #484
harryj79

Likes (Received): 112

Here's a question for a traffic light expert from the UK (or just anyone who knows). Why is it that in the UK almost all traffic lights have a white border around them, but in London they seem to be simply black with no white border? Is it something to do with Transport for London maintaining the roads in London and the Highways Agency maintaining roads outside London?
harryj79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #485
Wimpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Are you sure? I don't think this will be the case though...It was a 5 road intersection with a lot of crashes each year...Now almost none...Btw the intersection(s) of the N80 I showed - there are 3 more like this near the city center of Sint-Truiden on the same road- will all get an underpass and roundabout on top...
Ofcourse like in the example you mentioned, safety improved because of the roundabout. In other cases where roadsafety didn't improve or even got worse because of the rounabout. They'll get reevaluated and like the about 3 out of 5 roundabouts on the Geel Ringroad, they'll be removed or be equiped with underpasses.
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #486
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryj79 View Post
Here's a question for a traffic light expert from the UK (or just anyone who knows). Why is it that in the UK almost all traffic lights have a white border around them, but in London they seem to be simply black with no white border? Is it something to do with Transport for London maintaining the roads in London and the Highways Agency maintaining roads outside London?
It's a pretty well-asked question and no one has a definate answer. Apparently, in the UK, sightboards are not mandatory on roads that aren't classed as trunk roads or have a speed limit over 30mph. The old mellor signals (and the design before them) had sightboards which were a maintenence pain, though more modern one's are more reliable, so in a place with so many signals, the cons were probably seen as higher than the pros. Ones with sightboards are becoming more common in certain boroughs these days though. Peterborough was another place that had mellors standard without signtboards, but all their signals seem to have been replaced with modern ones, all with sightboards. Glasgow is a place where they still have 'naked' mellor signals in the central area.

Also, during the mellor age, the poles were mostly black in London but grey virtually everywhere else. It may be that the London Transport authority had more say over these things than the rest of the country. That's certainly the case today.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #487
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
How common are overhead mast arms in Europe? They seem very rare in the UK, but are relatively common in the suburban areas of French cities, based on what I've seen on streetview?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
They're a lot more common in most European countries compared to the UK. They're not as rare here as they once were, but they're still not that common.
I can think of quite a few in suburban London
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #488
harryj79

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
It's a pretty well-asked question and no one has a definate answer. Apparently, in the UK, sightboards are not mandatory on roads that aren't classed as trunk roads or have a speed limit over 30mph. The old mellor signals (and the design before them) had sightboards which were a maintenence pain, though more modern one's are more reliable, so in a place with so many signals, the cons were probably seen as higher than the pros. Ones with sightboards are becoming more common in certain boroughs these days though. Peterborough was another place that had mellors standard without signtboards, but all their signals seem to have been replaced with modern ones, all with sightboards. Glasgow is a place where they still have 'naked' mellor signals in the central area.

Also, during the mellor age, the poles were mostly black in London but grey virtually everywhere else. It may be that the London Transport authority had more say over these things than the rest of the country. That's certainly the case today.
Thanks for that.
harryj79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #489
Wimpie

When it comes to the London situation, it's the same case with Antwerp in Belgium as well. Bigger cities allows allow themselves more free room for diversion in cases like this. In Antwerp traffic lights look different as well.
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #490
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
The old mellor signals
I had to Google that, to find out what a Mellor Signal was.

Linky:
http://www.freewebs.com/trafficlight...lorsignals.htm
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #491
Gareth
Keltlandia

Sorry about that. Yes, mellors are the signals that were designed by David Mellor. They came out in Autumn 1970 and are still just about in production, although most localities now prefer the newer designs that have appeared in the last ten years or so.
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #492
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I figured I will post this video since it is entertaining and traffic light related as well.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #493
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

I'm not a traffic light geek so forgive me if it's obvious, but does anyone recognise these new traffic lights seen in North Korea? Based on what's known about North Korean industry, it probably cannot design or built modern LED lights without foreign assistance.

image hosted on flickr

New traffic lights in Pyongyang by Kernbeisser, on Flickr
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #494
Wimpie

Yeah, they look alot like those new ones in Brussels.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #495
Gareth
Keltlandia

Is that really Pyongyang? I've seen those exact signals & poles in Finland.
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #496
IRELAND

Likes (Received): 0

Lights in Dublin:

Last edited by IRELAND; January 18th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
IRELAND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #497
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Is that really Pyongyang? I've seen those exact signals & poles in Finland.
Probably not, look a the smooth paving of the road, electricity cabins, seperated sewer lines for sewage water and rain!!!! That is not NK!!
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #498
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Kernbeisser works (I think) for a German NGO operating in North Korea, and he has posted hundreds of photos from North Korea, including rural areas and lesser-known towns that foreigners do not normally see.

Next year will be the centenary of Kim Il Sung's birth, and the North Korean régime is spending a serious amount of money on sprucing up Pyongyang as part of a propaganda drive to build a "strong and prosperous nation" by 2012. Recent visitors report that the famous "traffic girls" (the female traffic police who control junctions) are being replaced by traffic lights. In any case, the capital is a showpiece city designed to impress foreign visitors and maintained to a higher standard than the rest of the country.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #499
joshsam
JR

I see, and I understand why it looks so clean now...
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #500
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

I've been noticing some new traffic light styles in the US recently. I've seen one traffic light group on US 202 in Pennsylvania that has blinking white lights inside the red light. So, on top of having bright LED lights, you notice this blinking white row of lights. It's annoying but I guess it works (although I'd prefer regular red lights).

There's a HAWK light in Newark here at a pedestrian crossing over South Chapel Street near UD's farms. The light remains off for all colors unless a pedestrian wishing to cross presses the button, and then it goes from yellow to two reds. There's no green. The lights form an upside-down pyramid, with the reds obviously on the top.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote