daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM   #541
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

The main idea seems to be that when the arrows are green, you can drive without having to worry about other traffic intersecting your route. When it is just the green light, you still have to yield to traffic coming from the other direction when turning.

Most European tram signals are not done with arrows, but with completely different symbols. I've posted an example of those 4 years ago in this topic: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=142

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #542
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Either way, it's an extremely weird set-up:

I mean what is it trying to say???:

So there is a green arrow to go straight BUT at the same time, there's also a red light.

What is it? Stop? Go straight? The traffic light is defective?

Btw, I noticed that the bottom row traffic lights are directional arrows while the top row lights have solid light circle lights.

The problem is: If they both light at the same time, then to whom is addressed for? To whom is it directed?

Overall, why the confusing set-up?

P.S.
Maybe someone from Japan can answer or explain this.......
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #543
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

Looking at the Chicago pedestrian traffic light with the seconds counter I thought about the fact that in Bulgaria at many intersections the traffic lights for cars also have such counters, which I think are not common in any other european country? Maybe it has been discussed before in this thread, I haven't read all the pages...

Another similarity I found only with american traffic lights is having traffic lights hanging not on metal poles, but on ropes, like this:

sorry for the crash pictures, but they are of the few I found googling for these traffic lights

Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #544
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Looking at the Chicago pedestrian traffic light with the seconds counter I thought about the fact that in Bulgaria at many intersections the traffic lights for cars also have such counters, which I think are not common in any other european country? Maybe it has been discussed before in this thread, I haven't read all the pages...
You can also find traffic lights with counters in Romania. For example in Arad there is no counter at any traffic light, but in Timisoara there are counters at almost all traffic lights.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #545
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Traffic signals with counters are archaic with a static cycle. Traffic signals should be network or traffic-dependent, not time-dependent.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #546
bogdymol
bogdymod

I agree, but still, it's a good thing to know how many seconds of red/green light you have left.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #547
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Either way, it's an extremely weird set-up:

I mean what is it trying to say???:

So there is a green arrow to go straight BUT at the same time, there's also a red light.

What is it? Stop? Go straight? The traffic light is defective?
Goldenox has explained it, although I think it is little bit different. so, my opinion is that red light with green arrows allows driving in "green" directions, but with yielding the traffic from other directions.
"whole" green light means free passing in all directions without yielding. at least that would be the most similar to European and American rules. correct me if I'm wrong.
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #548
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Japan doesn't use fully separate signal heads for different directions of traffic like you find throughout Europe and the Americas. You only get the standard red/amber/green head with supplimentary green arrows where necessary. If a green arrow comes on, that overides the red. This signal suggests that whilst traffic going straight and left can go, right turning traffic must wait.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #549
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
Japan doesn't use fully separate signal heads for different directions of traffic like you find throughout Europe and the Americas. You only get the standard red/amber/green head with supplimentary green arrows where necessary. If a green arrow comes on, that overides the red. This signal suggests that whilst traffic going straight and left can go, right turning traffic must wait.
But there are also situations when red is turned on and all three green arrows too (left, right, straight). What about that?
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #550
Gareth
Keltlandia

That means that you can go in all directions but oncoming traffic has a red light. Weird, I know.
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #551
ChrisBerg91
The Newbe

Likes (Received): 2

I would think that the three aspects/lightspots on the top is a type representative of the oncoming traffic signal aswell as a signal for the traffic seeing it. (Don't know, but would thought so)
ChrisBerg91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #552
Gareth
Keltlandia

In other words, exactly what I said in the post just above yours.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM   #553
dsanto

Likes (Received): 19

This year I've been in Malta and I saw such traffic lights:

I was travelling with the bus and while we were 100 m from the intersection, traffic lights were full green and the right arrow was off (2a). Bus driver stopped at the moment, and only when green arrow was on (2b), he turn to the right. Does it mean that full green doesn't allow to turn right when the arrow is off?

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=32865[/IMG]

Next time I saw such traffic lights:

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=32864[/IMG]

The question (especially for Maltese people) is - does it mean that green doesn't allow to turn right when the right arrow is off? When it is true, then it is simillar to our old system traffic lights, when turning traffic has no red light:

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=32833[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=30833[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=32833[/IMG]
dsanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #554
ChrisBerg91
The Newbe

Likes (Received): 2

Maybe the bus driver misunderstood the signal. We have a similar system in Norway only with a yellow aspect aswell as the green arrow you are refering to, and there you can make the turn even though you don't have the protected arrow. The only thing is that the turn is not protected, and means you have too yield to oncomming traffic and pedestrians in the pedestrian cross. (maybe you already know this!)

Where I live now, there is a traffic light cross with this kinds of aspects, but I've seen many times people standing still just waiting for the green arrow, even though it is clear to make the turn.
ChrisBerg91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #555
Mark19

Likes (Received): 60

New traffic lights in El Salvador

Mies Van Der Rohe

"Las mentes brillantes manejan ideas; las mentes corrientes hablan de actualidades; las mentes mediocres hablan y critican a los demás".
Eleanor Roosevelt.
Mark19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #556
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanto View Post
Does it mean that full green doesn't allow to turn right when the arrow is off?

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=32865[/IMG]
We have few of these in Sofia. As there are no arrows on the full green, it means it allows all directions, including the right one.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #557
Gareth
Keltlandia

I'm not Maltese but being from the UK, I think, is the next best thing, as I believe Matlese traffic lights are pretty much based on UK sequencing. The full green means turning is allowed but that right turners must yield to oncoming traffic. The green arrow poining right means that oncoming traffic have red. I'm guessing that your bus driver was either waiting for oncoming traffic or his viewpoint was that he could not see clearly whether it was safe to make the turn and so waited for the arrow to appear.
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #558
dsanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBerg91 View Post
Where I live now, there is a traffic light cross with this kinds of aspects, but I've seen many times people standing still just waiting for the green arrow, even though it is clear to make the turn.
The point is that some drivers from ex-Sovjet countries don't know that they may turn on full green with arrow off in West countries. Our traffic rules don't allow this.
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #559
Gareth
Keltlandia

According to dsanto on the previous page, that rule is getting phased out in Lithuania. New signals installed since May 2012 are now supposed to be set up like what you find in most of the rest of Europe, although flashing green is still allowed apparently.
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #560
dsanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
According to dsanto on the previous page, that rule is getting phased out in Lithuania. New signals installed since May 2012 are now supposed to be set up like what you find in most of the rest of Europe, although flashing green is still allowed apparently.
The rule is still valid because of old traffic lights. Just this rule is not actual for new traffic lights that are installed after 1st May because new traffic lights have three arrows for turning traffic.

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=1063&pictureid=31456[/IMG]