daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:53 AM   #561
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Sorry, I wasn't aware that I was talking about the same person to the same person.

Yes, arrows are good. I wish the UK had them on all colours. Only the green light can be an arrow here.

Last edited by Gareth; January 8th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM   #562
dsanto

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Yes, arrows are good. I wish the UK had them on all colours. Only the green light can be an arrow here.
I didn't know that... It's better when all colors are with arrows.
dsanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #563
Gareth
Keltlandia

I agree.

Our pedestrian signals work quite differently too. For a start, the common convention of allowing a green man to be lit whilst traffic going in the same direction has a green is not allowed; even though it is present in almost every other country in the world (only other UK-influenced countries such as the Irish Republic and Hong Kong are the same). A green man can only be lit if there's no vehicle traffic whatsoever which conflict with the crossing. There's also this relatively new convention of putting the pedestrian signal low down on the nearby pole rather than high up on the pole opposite like it was in the past, as well as what it is still like in every other country in the world. I don't like it, but they seem to be sticking to it...

Old January 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #564
Owl.

Likes (Received): 3009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Sorry, I wasn't aware that I was talking to about the same person to the same person.

The Department of Transport in the UK was experimenting with the introduction of amber arrows quite a while ago. This was from a document published by the Highways Agency in association with the Department of Transport in December 2003. Judging from their lack of introduction within the last decade I assume they didn't continue with the experiment;

(The document these images were taken from is here.)
Owl. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #565
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I had forgotten about these photos, I saw these in the City a couple of weeks ago:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #566
Gareth
Keltlandia

Yes, there's a Transport For London trial going on regarding counting down the clearance interval. Unlike much of the UK, London's been trying its best not to install those annoying nearside pedestrian poles. It's also retaining the blackout period, whereas in many parts of the country now, the green man just changes instantly to red man. Although I like the idea of a clearance signal, I don't really like blackout. I'd rather the green man just flashed, or even the red man like in Australia.

Hong Kong also trialled countdown idicators for the clearance period, about ten years ago. When the green man started to flash, it would come on and when it reached zero, the red man would appear, not too disimilar to the ones in London. I don't think the trial was successful though, as I was there in 2008 and didn't see any still in place.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:52 AM   #567
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9136

What about the number of lanes and number of traffic lights in your countries? Do you have a traffic light above every lane? We used to have them some 15-20 years ago, but then for I dunno what reason (some kind of economy?) they removed many of them and left generally one for each direction, no matter if there is one, two or three or more lanes bellow it, and usually doubled with one on the right side. Here's a pic to illustrate, you can easily see where there were more lights above before:

Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:54 AM   #568
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2083

In Italy there's usually one traffic light on the right and another one on a gantry above the road, no matter the number of lanes.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #569
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Same in Spain.
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #570
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

no rules here.
sometimes each lane has its own light.
sometimes there is just one light on the portal signaling for all lanes.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #571
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In Italy there's usually one traffic light on the right and another one on a gantry above the road, no matter the number of lanes.
Sometimes also on the left side.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #572
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Sometimes also on the left side.
Only in separate carriageways or one-way streets.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #573
dsanto

Till the 1st May 2012 Lithuania had old soviet-based standard for traffic lights. There were two ways foreseen in this standard for installing traffic lights in case of different green time for some lanes. First and most used method where to install traffic lights with additional sections - in this case when additional section is off, turning traffic is forbidden, no matter what the main traffic light shows. This method didn't require to install traffic lights above the lanes.

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=34732[/IMG]

The second method was to use traffic lights with arrows above each lane. This method was almost unused because of requirement to install traffic lights above each lane and that all traffic lights must have arrows what means that all turning traffic (left and right) must be protected. While the first method allowed to have one protected turning traffic (e.g. Left), and one non-protected.

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=34733[/IMG]

Since May 2012 we have german-based traffic lights install method. Each separately directed traffic has minimum two traffic lights: one on the side and one above lanes. Protected turning traffic has arrows, non-protected has no arrows.

Last edited by dsanto; February 7th, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #574
dsanto

Have you in your country a sign like this, that allows to turn right on red:

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=30835[/IMG]

This photo is from Lithuania. Turning on red we must check if any pedestrian is crossing before turning and must give way to possible vehicle coming from another way.

Have you such signs in your country or other signals that allow to turn right (left) on red?
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #575
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanto View Post

Have you such signs in your country or other signals that allow to turn right (left) on red?
Such a setup is not allowed in Finland. Instead, the free right turn traffic flow must be separated by an island:

The base rule is simple: If there are traffic lights at the intersection, they must control all the traffic directions available. The island-separated right turn is an exception to the basic rule.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #576
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania we have a tiny green flashing arrow where you are allowed to make a right turn on red light:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Suburbanist liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #577
dsanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
In Romania we have a tiny green flashing arrow where you are allowed to make a right turn on red light.
A question - does an arrow still flash when the main traffic light becomes green?
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #578
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:

A question - does an arrow still flash when the main traffic light becomes green?
Usually it' turned off during normal green.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #579
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:

[..]
This photo is from Lithuania. Turning on red we must check if any pedestrian is crossing before turning and must give way to possible vehicle coming from another way.

In The Netherlands we do not have them... for cars.
For bicycles, we do have this sign:
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #580
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1881

Quote:

[IMG]http://www.************/forumas/picture.php?albumid=510&pictureid=30835[/IMG]

In Germany it's also possible to have these fixed "green arrows". It was introduced to traffic code after re-union with GDR. It's one of the few traffic rules which were taken from the former east german traffic code.
In Italy, like in Finland, "continuous free right turns" are separated by an island. It's also allowed to have alighting "turn right arrows" (like shown in the romanian picture, but not flashing). In this case pedestian cannot cross the road, they have "red light".
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote