daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #61
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesedrummer36 View Post
Portland, Oregon
Seattle/Lynnwood, Washington
That looks quite interesting, because in every one of these pics, there is a dedicated left turn signal, and it seems that you may not turn left unless you have a green dedicated left turn arrow. I really like that.

Is that the case on all streets in these American cities, i.e., are there any traffic light-controlled intersections where you are allowed to turn left while oncoming traffic faces a green light too? Because in Toronto you can, and I really don't like that, and the same goes for other American east-coast cities, like New York.

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #62
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
That looks quite interesting, because in every one of these pics, there is a dedicated left turn signal, and it seems that you may not turn left unless you have a green dedicated left turn arrow. I really like that.

Is that the case on all streets in these American cities, i.e., are there any traffic light-controlled intersections where you are allowed to turn left while oncoming traffic faces a green light too?
What you refer to is called a protected left turn. Most of intersections in west coast suburbs have protected left turn, while most of intersections in big cities (San Frncisco, Seattle, etc) don't have this type of intersection. Where I live now - a university city of 50,000 people - there are approximately 50% of intersections that have protected left turns. I think it is good when a road is wide enough and doesn't have a very heavy traffic, but otherwise it would create additional delay at the intersection.

One intersection in my city has a traffic light that displays both green arrow and a usual circular light consecutively. When green arrow is on - your turn is protected and when the green circular light comes up, you have to yield to oncoming traffic before turning.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #63
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4264

Perhaps its just me but I find traffic lights really exciting.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #64
Alex Von Königsberg

There is nothing better than a well-designed European roundabout!
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #65
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
There is nothing better than a well-designed European roundabout!
Roundabouts are the safest possible intersections. Because you have to go on a low speed, so accidents turns out less deadly.

Only, sometimes they overdo in roundabouts, in the new neighborhood Vathorst in the city of Amersfoort, they have like 15 roundabouts in a 4km circular road.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #66
TheCat

Quote:
What you refer to is called a protected left turn. Most of intersections in west coast suburbs have protected left turn, while most of intersections in big cities (San Frncisco, Seattle, etc) don't have this type of intersection. Where I live now - a university city of 50,000 people - there are approximately 50% of intersections that have protected left turns. I think it is good when a road is wide enough and doesn't have a very heavy traffic, but otherwise it would create additional delay at the intersection.

One intersection in my city has a traffic light that displays both green arrow and a usual circular light consecutively. When green arrow is on - your turn is protected and when the green circular light comes up, you have to yield to oncoming traffic before turning.
Heh, yes, I am familiar with the term "protected left turn". I just found it interesting that on these pictures, even small intersections had a dedicated left turn signal, which made me wonder if they are mandatory on all intersections.

In Toronto, most suburban (and many urban) intersections have a protected left turn phase, but not separate signal, which is basically the same as the "green arrow and usual circular light" in your post. First, the green arrow comes on for a few seconds together with either green or red, and then the normal green comes on (or the arrow just disappears, if the green was already on). But of course, the lack of an advanced green is not prohibitive, i.e. you can still turn but only after yielding. In Toronto almost no intersections have completely separate left turn signals, but rather they have a left turn phase.

I think on large intersections with many lanes and heavy traffic, only separated left turn signals should be used, and perhaps at night or off-peak hours cars should be allowed to turn left even without an advanced green, but that's just my opinion.
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #67
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Roundabouts are the safest possible intersections. Because you have to go on a low speed, so accidents turns out less deadly.

Only, sometimes they overdo in roundabouts, in the new neighborhood Vathorst in the city of Amersfoort, they have like 15 roundabouts in a 4km circular road.
That's nothing compared to the magic roundabout though.

Being on an articulated bus while it navigates a roundabout is fun though. They just turn into giant speed humps.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #68
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke41 View Post
this one in davao. it looks like the ones from los angeles

That's Davăo? For some reason I didn't picture it like that...
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #69
Alex Von Königsberg

Every small detail about this traffic light look American: the pole, the street sign, and even the pedestrian lights. The only thing that confuses me is why the traffic light is on the left side? In Philippines they drive on the right.
Old October 17th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #70
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

In Melbourne, it's common practice to install traffic lights on all four corners of an intersection.

Besides, it could just be on a median strip.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #71
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6385

A few Copenhagen intersections:

[IMG]http://i5.************/8b3z2wg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1.************/8flqbyr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.************/7ydos4z.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i18.************/7yrgs5w.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #72
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Every small detail about this traffic light look American: the pole, the street sign, and even the pedestrian lights. The only thing that confuses me is why the traffic light is on the left side? In Philippines they drive on the right.

Davăo is in India.

Wait a sec i'm think about Damăo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dam%C3%A3o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davao_City

Yeah i's in the Phillipines.
Mabye it's a one way road?

Copenhagen is nice!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #73
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

spot on

From the same account

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #74
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Some newer UK signals. They've started to mutate in the last fiver or so years after having the same standard design since 1970. The newer designs tend to be smaller and slicker, often with LEDs.

The previous standard signal.

The new style UK pedestrian signals, which I hate.

Pre-1970 signal heads, someone is seeing on ebay. They were made out of tin, as opposed to plastic and had the word 'STOP' embossed on the red lense. They also had very distinctive stripy black and white poles, but I can't find any old photos of them.

Last edited by Gareth; November 13th, 2007 at 05:39 PM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #75
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Weird how in parts of Canada and the US the fixture can be yellow, where as other places in the world it can be black. I've read that a yellow fixture helps grab attention.

What do you guys like better? It's a tough decision, because you can also kind of see the lights better when the fixture is black, then again yellow grabs attention and is more easily seen, especially at night. I guess it depends on the intersection, really.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #76
Gareth
Keltlandia

Black with a sighting board is better. Remember that on of the aspects is yellow. Black gives the colours a better contrast.
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #77
Gareth
Keltlandia

Found a photo of a vintage British traffic light. This is an old photo of London, of the St Pancras Street/Euston Road intersection. The signal will be from some time in the 1960s. The photo is probably also from the 1960s or 1970s. Notice the black and white pole and the 'STOP' command lense.

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #78
taiwanesedrummer36

Likes (Received): 0

Typical traffic signals from Everett, Washington:

Typical traffic signals in Seattle, Washington:

taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #79
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8815

Sheash and I thought New Zealand was over the top with the number of traffic lights at each intersection.

I much prefer black boards with a white stripe around my traffic lights. They're far more clear than the yellow I believe. Black provides a much better contrast to the lights on the traffic light as there is not one colour on there which doesn't show up clearly. The amber on traffic lights I imagine would be rather more difficult to see on a yellow traffic light.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #80
TheCat

Hehe in Israel they use black boards with white stripes on most lights, which is probably inspired from the UK. In Ontario we have yellow boards, which are fine usually but do make the lights harder to see in some conditions, such as direct sunlight.