daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM   #101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

we already had such kind of thread, so i merged them
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM   #102
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8795

Those Melbourne traffic lights are exactly the same as 99% of Kiwi ones.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM   #103
Jardoga

Likes (Received): 4

Melbourne is now getting rid of yellow traffic lights from the 50's and replacing them with led light ones.

yellow traffic lights

Newer led traffic lights

Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #104
Jardoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesedrummer36 View Post
Typical traffic signals from Everett, Washington:

Typical traffic signals in Seattle, Washington:

In Australia, youll never find more then one board to an overhead pole, exept for sydney westlink intersections. thats the only time ive seen more then one board to an overhead pole.
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #105
Dinivan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

The most practical lights I've seen are those of Austria. When the light is green and is going to change to red, the green light starts flashing for a few seconds, then it changes to yellow light for another few seconds, and finally turns red. That way you know exactly when to stop :P
Dinivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #106
Jardoga

Some lights down here, when its on red, it then goes to yellow, the green lol
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #107
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinivan View Post
The most practical lights I've seen are those of Austria. When the light is green and is going to change to red, the green light starts flashing for a few seconds, then it changes to yellow light for another few seconds, and finally turns red. That way you know exactly when to stop :P
In Israel it's exactly like this too.
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #108
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
In Israel it's exactly like this too.
Russia, Ukraine and Belarus as well as some other former Soviet republics have blinking green to indicate that it will change soon. Very useful feature, I should say. Also, in the named countries, the pedestrian light starts blinking green (instead of red as in US and Canada) to warn pedestrians not to start crossing the road.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #109
TheCat

Yeah, I heard. Maybe Israel took it from there too, considering the large population there of people from the USSR (over 1 million).

In Ontario, somewhat uniquely, the flashing green means "advanced green light". It means you may basically turn left, right, or go straight without yielding to oncoming traffic. All new intersections replace this phase with a green left arrow and a green light together, but you still find the blinking phase at older intersections. It confuses many out-of-province visitors, since they often don't know what to do in this case.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #110
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Russia, Ukraine and Belarus as well as some other former Soviet republics have blinking green to indicate that it will change soon. Very useful feature, I should say. Also, in the named countries, the pedestrian light starts blinking green (instead of red as in US and Canada) to warn pedestrians not to start crossing the road.
The UK too has a blinking green light to warn pedestrians not to start crossing.

The UK along with a number of other countries also has a red+yellow phase in their traffic lights to let drivers put their car back into gear from neutral. VERY handy. I hate not having that here as I always get some automatic driver honking me as soon as green appears to take off straight away. Excuse me for giving my clutch leg a rest!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #111
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
In Ontario, somewhat uniquely, the flashing green means "advanced green light". It means you may basically turn left, right, or go straight without yielding to oncoming traffic. All new intersections replace this phase with a green left arrow and a green light together, but you still find the blinking phase at older intersections. It confuses many out-of-province visitors, since they often don't know what to do in this case.
In Vancouver and Victoria all (or nearly all) protected left turn lights have a green flashing arrow. Very often you can see a circular steady green light and a flashing green arrow underneath. First, I was confused because just like in Russia I thought the light will change soon, but then I understand that it always flashes I like Canadian flashing arrow better than American steady arrow because of increased visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall
The UK along with a number of other countries also has a red+yellow phase in their traffic lights to let drivers put their car back into gear from neutral. VERY handy. I hate not having that here as I always get some automatic driver honking me as soon as green appears to take off straight away. Excuse me for giving my clutch leg a rest!
In ex-USSR this is also the case. Very handy indeed considering that the traffic lights are located before the intersection, so you can only see your own light. Here in the USA, I can easily see the crossroad's traffic lights, so after memorizing the sequence, I know when to step on the clutch and shift into first

Last edited by Alex Von Königsberg; February 26th, 2008 at 08:00 PM.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #112
NoName678

Likes (Received): 2

Going back to the first post in this thread...
Quote:
I lived in Israel before, and I think the traffic light system there is one of the best I've seen in the world.
I've never driven in Israel but I have walked there and I think the traffic engineers must be insane. Crossing a single not-particularly-wide street often has to be done in three or four segments each controlled by a different light. Waiting for all of the lights is frustrating because they are not designed to afford convenient passage for pedestrians; frequently, one will turn green just as the one ahead is turning red. If there are police around, they will stop you for crossing against the lights even if you just crossed a segment consisting of a single lane and no cars were anywhere in sight. And at the more complicated intersections just when you think you understand where the traffic could be coming from it will start coming after you from a completely unexpected direction, so it's not a good idea to cross against the lights there until you are really familiar with the intersections.
NoName678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #113
TheCat

I was referring to the traffic lights used for cars. Ironically, I am not too familiar with the pedestrian lights there, since the town I lived in didn't have many traffic lights, it mostly uses roundabouts and yield signs. What you described sounds quite strange, but it may be true. However, for traffic control, everything I described in my post holds.

By the way, I think I can explain part of the reason for this somewhat random behaviour of the pedestrian lights, and especially referring to your last sentence:
Quote:
And at the more complicated intersections just when you think you understand where the traffic could be coming from it will start coming after you from a completely unexpected direction, so it's not a good idea to cross against the lights there until you are really familiar with the intersections.
I'm guessing the reason for this is because, as I previously stated, the traffic lights in Israel always provide protected right of way to any direction that has a green light. Therefore, there is no such concept as in many countries, where drivers turning left or right have to first check for pedestrians, and probably do so out of habit even if the light is red. In Israel, when drivers get a green, they just go. Legally, they can do that, but I do agree that such "mindless" driving, partially caused by the "privileged" traffic lights, creates dangerous driving habits. The only exception to this is in big cities when turning right - like in many other countries, cars and pedestrians may get a green at the same time, but only when turning right and there is no right-turn pocket (most roads outside big city centres have such pockets).

I read a proposal once somewhere to get rid of the completely protected traffic lights in Israel, but this would never pass, since people are too used to them, and knowing Israelis, it would probably just create more chaos
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM   #114
seawastate

Likes (Received): 1

From what I know about traffic lights, in the United States, it goes like this:

Standard traffic light:

Red = STOP
Yellow = Prepare to stop if possible
Green = GO

Other lights:

Single Flashing Red = Stop, then proceed. Often used to make stop signs more noticeable.

Single Flashing Yellow = Caution / Slow Down.

Double flashing red = STOP - LIFE THREATENING - DANGER - Used by school buses and railroad crossings.
seawastate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM   #115
rilham2new
Obsolete User

Likes (Received): 1422

Pekanbaru - Indonesia ... small city in SUmatra

image hosted on flickr

The junction were closed for any car, due to musical performance right in the middle of junction ... Only motorcycles were allowed
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM   #116
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:

I read a proposal once somewhere to get rid of the completely protected traffic lights in Israel, but this would never pass, since people are too used to them, and knowing Israelis, it would probably just create more chaos
Why on earth would anyone want to do that? I consider this to be one of the few areas where the road system here is demonstrably better than in any other place that I've ever been to.

You can't "just go" at a green light - you have to be sure you can clear the junction. You can get a ticket for blocking a junction if you get stuck in traffic in the middle of a junction. Of course this won't stop many people from "just going" regardless.

I also prefer our red, red-yellow, green system (as also in the UK) to red, green used in many countries.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:33 PM   #117
KB

Likes (Received): 6843

image hosted on flickr

Islamabad- Pakistan
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #118
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadUser View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to do that? I consider this to be one of the few areas where the road system here is demonstrably better than in any other place that I've ever been to.

You can't "just go" at a green light - you have to be sure you can clear the junction. You can get a ticket for blocking a junction if you get stuck in traffic in the middle of a junction. Of course this won't stop many people from "just going" regardless.

I also prefer our red, red-yellow, green system (as also in the UK) to red, green used in many countries.
By "just going" I mean that everyone else is facing a red light - this is rarely the case elsewhere. Usually, when you get a green light and you want to turn left, you have to enter the intersection and then let all oncoming traffic and pedestrians go first, completing the turn when the way is clear or when the light in your direction turns yellow/red and everyone has stopped.

I do agree with you 100% that Israel's system is theoretically better and much safer, and that's what I've been claiming for a long time. However, I have read some articles (unfortunately I cannot find them at the moment) that claim that the Israeli system in fact has two negative "long term" effects:

1. It reduces the overall duration of the green phase in each direction, since a typical 4-way junction in Israel has to have 4 separate phases (2 for going straight + 2 for turning left, or alternatively 1 phase per direction, allowing both turning left and going straight). Also, at off-peak hours, it may unnecessarily disallow people from turning left while oncoming traffic faces a green light but traffic volumes are extremely low.

2. One article claims that mostly because of point #1, people try to jump yellow lights more often, and generally drive more aggressively. Also, while a good driver should always pay attention no matter what light he/she faces, oftentimes in Israel drivers who are turning at a green light do so without paying much attention, because ideally, the light guarantees "safe passage".

If you ask me, I prefer Israel's system, because there are some intersections here in Toronto (I've described one such intersection earlier in this thread) which are extremely dangerous while turning left (limited visibility + high speed limit), and SHOULD have a separate dedicated left turn signal - but they don't. Overall, turning left at large intersections on a green light during rush hour can be quite stressful for inexperienced drivers here, since often the turn is done on a main road with 3 lanes of oncoming traffic.

However, statistically it seems that Israel's system is often less efficient, and technically the safety record in Israel isn't something to brag about either.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #119
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

I don't see the point of flashing green to warn of a change to amber. Surely the point of amber is to warn of the change to red. Amber doesn't need its own warning.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #120
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Fun crossing tune in Poland.

Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote