daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #121
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I don't see the point of flashing green to warn of a change to amber. Surely the point of amber is to warn of the change to red. Amber doesn't need its own warning.
When the speed is higher than 60 km/h, flashing green becomes a very useful feature.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #122
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

When I lived in NJ there was a pretty fast road I used a lot with speeds of 50 mph / 80 kph WITH traffic lights. They use a very long amber. I agree with Gareth. The AMBER is the warning. What good is a flashing green?
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #123
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I'm used to flashing green and I think it's great. Imagine being only 5m from the junction going 60km/h and the light turns amber. It's too late to brake but crossing the junction would be against the law(at least in here). So where's the solution?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #124
Assemblage23
Übereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
When I lived in NJ there was a pretty fast road I used a lot with speeds of 50 mph / 80 kph WITH traffic lights. They use a very long amber. I agree with Gareth. The AMBER is the warning. What good is a flashing green?
Flashing green will give you a few seconds ahead notice that the red is coming. When a car is traveling at fast speeds, those few seconds will make a difference.
Assemblage23 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #125
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assemblage23 View Post
Flashing green will give you a few seconds ahead notice that the red is coming. When a car is traveling at fast speeds, those few seconds will make a difference.
I understand, but my point is the amber is the light that's used for the red warning. And again, to the poster above you, the ambers on the higher speed roads in NJ are very long- so it gives those who can, time to stop...those that can't will travel through the amber but not the red- it is not illegal here to travel through amber, only red.
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #126
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss
I'm used to flashing green and I think it's great. Imagine being only 5m from the junction going 60km/h and the light turns amber. It's too late to brake but crossing the junction would be against the law(at least in here). So where's the solution?
Keeping the amber light long enough, depending on speed limits. Here you are allowed to pass the crossing on amber light, so that gives you the choise whether you can brake safe or not. As far as I know this counts for most of the countries, at least in Western Europe...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #127
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

It's the same here - you can travel through the amber.

Unfortunately, the concept of a long amber for high speed roads hasn't hit Durban at all.

Some South African rules:
  • Flashing red: stop at intersection, then proceed if safe to do so.
  • Flashing amber: you may proceed, but give way to traffic already in the intersection.
  • Flashing green arrow: you have right of way if proceeding in the direction of the arrow. (Commonly used on right turns.)
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #128
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yes, the amber lights should have a longer duration with higher speed limits. Driving 70km/h, it takes some distance to stop, without making an emergency stop. But in my city, there are red light camera's installed at some intersections, making people brake like crazy if the amber light pops up. This had led to numerous collisions.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #129
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Red light cameras I think are a bad idea for that reason alone.
I think if there's a problem intersection, one where people are cruising through red lights all the time, the best solution would be stepped up enforcement from real live humans- not machines with electronic eyes.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #130
ChrisZwolle
Road user

But that costs more money, than it brings in, you know. Government point of view is: traffic safety must make money, not cost money
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #131
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
But that costs more money, than it brings in, you know. Government point of view is: traffic safety must make money, not cost money
True....everything has a profit motive I suppose.

I recently watched a news report about a guy from one of the Atlanta suburbs who got a red light camera ticket in the mail- but he was out of town when it happened. Turns out it WAS his car that went through the light but it was being driven by a guy who was working on his car- the man who got the ticket was having his vehicle worked on while he was away. Now it's up to HIM to prove that someone else should get the ticket. That's so backwards!
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #132
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In Germany, they have to light the car from ahead, so the drivers face is recognizable. This reduces the amount of sneaky camera's behind signs and trees, which are obviously installed to make money.
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #133
Jardoga

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Fun crossing tune in Poland.

LOL That sounds like little kids toy tune...

haha
Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #134
traffic-light-man

Likes (Received): 0

Hey,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is my first post here, and thought there would be no better place to do it other than in a thread about my main interest!

If you'd like more information, please check out my website.

Thanks, Simon.
traffic-light-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #135
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks for digging up my thread I guess , and welcome to the forum! You're welcome to discuss the matter now
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #136
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Does anybody here has problems with poorly timed traffic lights?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #137
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I noticed that it's really important if there are a lot of traffic lights on a certain through route that they are very good adjusted to eachother, otherwise it becomes a mess.

I loved the "green wave" they had in the 1980's in the Netherlands, but they turned that into bus priorities so you have to stop all the time to let a (nearly) empty bus pass, sometimes even if the bus and other traffic are heading for the same direction, they stop the traffic to let the bus pass it on a special lane. Really nuts, because only a minute later all that traffic has overtaken the bus again.
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #138
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Barcelona;

image hosted on flickr
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #139
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8806

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Does anybody here has problems with poorly timed traffic lights?
Yes, every single one in New Zealand that I've come across. As soon as one set changes green, the set ahead changes red. It's a huge problem and wastes both fuel and time. There are about five or six bus priority traffic lights alone meaning that there is little benefit for buses over cars. All in all it makes for very frustrating journeys.

</rant>
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #140
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Its a problem here too in state of Maryland.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote