daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #141
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I noticed that it's really important if there are a lot of traffic lights on a certain through route that they are very good adjusted to eachother, otherwise it becomes a mess.

I loved the "green wave" they had in the 1980's in the Netherlands, but they turned that into bus priorities so you have to stop all the time to let a (nearly) empty bus pass, sometimes even if the bus and other traffic are heading for the same direction, they stop the traffic to let the bus pass it on a special lane. Really nuts, because only a minute later all that traffic has overtaken the bus again.
Green wave makes drivers stick to the speed limit too. In Tallinn we also have a lot of intersection where there is a bus priority, but it works only when a bus is behind schedule, which is reasonable IMO.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #142
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by snupix View Post
What is the red cross that can be seen on French roads on the opposite side of the traffic light?

It looks like this: +
I doubt the person who posted this will read this, but here's the answer nonetheless: it shows you the position of the traffic lights from the opposite direction. Most of the time they only use a green arrow to the left as clearing signal telling you it's safe to turn left.

They use the plus sign seeing it can hardly ever be confused with a normal traffic sign I guess. They're also pretty common in Belgium.

I had never heard or seen any flashing red signals. Seems like a nice way to make even more sure people will be cautious when they are going to cross the intersection when traffic lights are off, but it could also result in people just waiting there not knowing what is going on.

As for tram and bus signals here, they often use the same traffic lights as cars, but very often they have their own set of lights which hardly look like normal traffic signals:

"orange" light:

"red" light:

Allowed to drive through straight forward (in this case, no tram or bus would go left or right):

Allowed to drive to the left only:

Allowed to only drive straight forward:

EDIT: found this handy image on Wikipedia:

It shows the triangle which is a "green" light that allows public transportation to go to any direction they want.
The signalisation above is the one used in The Netherlands and mean the exact same thing.

Sadly enough the traffic lights go directly from green to yellow to red and then back to green without any indication of them going to change. Especially since driving through yellow can be penalised for the same amount as for driving through red now, I would've loved them to give some sort of indication first

Some more images I got from http://www.vab.be/ :

What I hadn't seen yet in this topic are traffic lights for bicycles:

Greetings,
Glodenox

Last edited by Glodenox; August 27th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #143
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
They use the plus sign seeing it can hardly ever be confused with a normal traffic sign I guess. They're also pretty common in Belgium.

I had never heard or seen any flashing red signals. Seems like a nice way to make even more sure people will be cautious when they are going to cross the intersection when traffic lights are off, but it could also result in people just waiting there not knowing what is going on.
You get flashing red lights in Spain. They're the same as the + ones you get in France, just without the +, obvously. It's not at all imediately obvious what they mean for a foreigner though.

Last edited by Gareth; August 29th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #144
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
I doubt the person who posted this will read this, but here's the answer nonetheless: it shows you the position of the traffic lights from the opposite direction. Most of the time they only use a green arrow to the left as clearing signal telling you it's safe to turn left.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Thanks for this post, it was interesting to read

Some comments:

- Regarding flashing red, in North America (well, US and Canada, not sure about Mexico) a flashing red signal is equivalent to a stop sign, and usually appears together with the sign. It is used in places where there is a chance that the driver will not notice the stop sign (for example, on a dark road that hasn't had any signs/lights for a while). It usually appears as a single flashing red light, not part of a complete traffic light. The behaviour at such a signal is dependent on whether or not it represents an all-way stop or a regular 2-way stop, which can usually be determined by looking at the accompanying stop sign. More on this here and here.

- Regarding the public transportation signals, it is somewhat interesting, but Ontario also has (a subset of) such signals. I wonder if other locations in North America have them too, but maybe it has to do with the fact that Toronto is one of very few cities in North America that still has a streetcar (tram) system. More on this here.
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #145
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Hong Kong's tram signals are just like normal signals, but the green is replaced by an amber 'T'.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #146
Glodenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
- Regarding flashing red, in North America (well, US and Canada, not sure about Mexico) a flashing red signal is equivalent to a stop sign, and usually appears together with the sign. It is used in places where there is a chance that the driver will not notice the stop sign (for example, on a dark road that hasn't had any signs/lights for a while). It usually appears as a single flashing red light, not part of a complete traffic light. The behaviour at such a signal is dependent on whether or not it represents an all-way stop or a regular 2-way stop, which can usually be determined by looking at the accompanying stop sign. More on this here and here.
Ooh, I see. As a separate light, I can understand it wouldn't confuse anybody who doesn't really know what it means

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #147
traffic-light-man

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Hong Kong's tram signals are just like normal signals, but the green is replaced by an amber 'T'.
In thier Philips/Serco heads, adapeted to the British Stnadards!

Here are some more UK piccies from my private collection of pictures:

Cycle and Pedestrian signals. Cycle heads are just vehicular heads with Cycle masks over the Amber and Green aspect. They are not normally mounted next to each other either. This pic is two pictures, joined together so you can see the R,A and G lit all at once.

This one shows the difference between Fibre Optic (right) arrow, and Standard (left) arrow.

And the Techmiracle/MOTUS AluStar. This is the Swarco AnuStar, modified for use on british roads; it has a larger gap between lenses, is all black, and has a retro-reflective border. This design is now around 2-3 years old only.

I've got looaaaads of pictures of signals in the UK, but to be honest, after the differences in designs, there is only so far you can go with configuration combinations too, as the UK law is strict on these things.

All TSEU MSH heads in this pic. Here on the left, you see the pre-2003 Symbolic aspect. All symbols had to be 300mm. The right is the post-2003 200mm Symbolic aspect, after this date all arrows and pedestrian heads had to be 200mm. Direct replacement parts and temorary signals, however, can still carry 300mm symbols, so in theory, this could have been replaced with a 300mm arrow. For uniformitary, this signal has actually been replaced, as I say, with a 300mm arrow!!!

Yes, Gareth, Old Swan TESCO exit secondaries.

My Traffic Blog! | Traffic Signals Online | TSO - The Gallery - NEW!
traffic-light-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #148
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

just another pedestrian/bicycle sign from my hometown...

Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM   #149
Glodenox

It's weird to see a green light being bigger than the rest. I'm not sure in which country it was, but I recall seeing red lights being bigger than the other lights quite a lot somewhere...

Another nice example of "more isn't always better" (Germany):

EDIT: now I remember: it was Italy.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #150
TheCat

Quote:
I'm not sure in which country it was, but I recall seeing red lights being bigger than the other lights quite a lot somewhere...
In Toronto it's often (though not always) the case too:
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM   #151
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Before the LED age it was perfectly normal to have a 300mm red on top of 200mm orange and green And now I see Toronto is a lot like the US, it was so funny the first time I went to NYC..."ok, let's gross the street...it's white!"
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #152
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

That part of Toronto looks like Asia
Bigger red lights is better, at least it is a bit more visible, thus safer.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM   #153
Rebasepoiss

Some pedestrian traffic lights in Tallinn have double red...(Pic by Ch1le)

And some have a countdown display . Pic from flickr:

image hosted on flickr

yeisson liked this post

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; September 3rd, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #154
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I like the countdown display. And what is the use of the double red? I've seen it in Germany before.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM   #155
Rebasepoiss

I don't know. Maybe to be more notable to pedestrians.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #156
Glodenox

The same seems to be done in the traffic lights for public transportation... Could it be it first shows the middle red light and then both red lights? Sort of the same as an orange or amber light, but just in red? (or perhaps the opposite happens: from two reds to one and then to green?)

Greetings,
Glodenox

Last edited by Glodenox; January 3rd, 2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:02 AM   #157
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
That part of Toronto looks like Asia
Bigger red lights is better, at least it is a bit more visible, thus safer.
you'll never see 200mm or 8" signals in ontario, or anywhere I believe in North America on their own. And I believe outside of BC..we're the only ones to have the 12" Red and 8" amber and green signals.

However, depends on the municipality...alot of places in ontario do use the 12" (300mm) signals across the board (red, amber, and green) London doesn't. Toronto doesn't. Hamilton doesn't, but Burlington, Mississauga do.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:23 AM   #158
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Does anybody here has problems with poorly timed traffic lights?
Like you wouldn't believe!!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM   #159
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
you'll never see 200mm or 8" signals in ontario, or anywhere I believe in North America on their own. And I believe outside of BC..we're the only ones to have the 12" Red and 8" amber and green signals.

However, depends on the municipality...alot of places in ontario do use the 12" (300mm) signals across the board (red, amber, and green) London doesn't. Toronto doesn't. Hamilton doesn't, but Burlington, Mississauga do.
Yeah you're right, although it seems to me that newer lights usually don't have the larger red light (for example, most lights uptown seem to be the same size throughout). At some intersections I noticed that one light (typically the right one) has the larger red light, whereas the second light (usually the centre one) doesn't.

With regards to size, I noticed that NYC generally has very small traffic lights. This possibly has something to do with their move to LED lights.

Luckily we also seem to be moving to LED lights slowly. I noticed something strange though - many intersections that have two lights (i.e. one on the right side and one in the centre) often have one light that is LED and the other isn't. Is that a way of the city to experiment with the lights?

Also, almost all the pedestrian lights in Toronto now have countdown timers (these have been installed very recently in many parts of the city). That's a good thing.
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #160
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Like you wouldn't believe!!
Like in amber, one, two, three, red, flash, picture taken, fine?