daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #161
thoju75
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 3

I like this one

And, this one is really funny too.........but hopefully it's just a sculpture in London, simply called "traffic lights tree"
thoju75 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #162
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWorld View Post
Like in amber, one, two, three, red, flash, picture taken, fine?
Nope, more like driving down a street you hit a red light, it turns green, but at the next intersection it turns red and you have to stop again. Poorly timed lights.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #163
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Nope, more like driving down a street you hit a red light, it turns green, but at the next intersection it turns red and you have to stop again. Poorly timed lights.
Not really. My smallish city is roundabout paradise and you rarely have several traffic lights on a row. When it happens, it's ok.
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #164
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19404

The eastern Beltway of my city has 9 traffic lights in 4km / 2.5 mile, and you usually have to stop at 6 of them.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #165
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I know one crossing in Amsterdam (Middenweg/Kruislaan) where you often have to wait for a few minutes, very annoying. However, this is only when you come from the Kruislaan, the Middenweg is always very busy.
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #166
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The eastern Beltway of my city has 9 traffic lights in 4km / 2.5 mile, and you usually have to stop at 6 of them.
In Toronto (and probably most North American cities) it's very common to have 9 or even more traffic lights over the course of 4km
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #167
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWorld View Post
Not really. My smallish city is roundabout paradise and you rarely have several traffic lights on a row. When it happens, it's ok.
Oh what I described is what we have here.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #168
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
In Toronto (and probably most North American cities) it's very common to have 9 or even more traffic lights over the course of 4km
Yeah, like the first miles of the US-395 in Spokane, when coming from the I-90 and heading north. That is horrible.
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #169
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's the disadvantage of the dense grid pattern. Look at New York for instance. How many traffic lights do you pass when driving down Broadway or 5th Avenue?
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #170
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17038

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's the disadvantage of the dense grid pattern. Look at New York for instance. How many traffic lights do you pass when driving down Broadway or 5th Avenue?

There Sync so they turn red all at the same time! only Manhattan doe's it.
across the river in Jersey most major signaled highways do it and downtown's. broadway is hard its always crowed no matter what time of day! 42nd street is the easiest , of course crosstown always easier, because it's shorter! But the West Side Highway good after rush hour and show's you the sync system of Manhattan in a faster way! The Whole Long Beach Island in New Jersey has synced Lights!
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #171
TheCat

Synchronized lights are an improvement, but not the best way. The best way is careful timing so that when you get a green light, the chances that you will encounter a red are minimized. Instead of changing at the same time, they should be changing one after the other in sequence but with a small delay. However, most lights in Toronto are not timed at all, so synchronization does help.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #172
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

My town has got 50 000 and 2 traffic lights that are noy just for pedestrian crossings.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #173
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

within a 1 km radius of my house, there's probably at least 10 stop lights :P
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #174
Timon91
Error

In my whole town there are two - pedestrian crossings
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #175
ChrisZwolle
Road user

the problem I see often with traffic lights in the Netherlands is that all directions of an intersections constantly have traffic, but there's a lack of priority, so one direction gets green in every cyclus for 3 cars, while the other direction also gets green in every cyclus, but there are 50 cars waiting. I think the less busy direction should have more red in order to let the larger queues flow.
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #176
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

wasn't there an old system with wire under the pavemente detecting the presence of cars at a given distance an re-timing the lights accordingly? I know it get's killed at every repavement but...
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #177
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

In Switzerland, almost all traffic lights have sensors under the pavement.

1. Green light means you can dive straight, but you have to look for other cars when turning.
Usually there is a blinking yellow light to warn for pedestrians
2. Green arrow means you have no traffic in this direction. (protected turn)
3. Traffic lights are always placed both before the intersection (above the stop line and/or on the side). I think this is because of the complicated intersections we have, it would be hard to tell which lane the light is for if they are on the opposite side.
4. Yellow blinking means, apply the normal rules for this intersection (as if there is no light at all).
5. traffic light turns from red to red+yellow before turning green . (This is to give more time to prepare to drive away, start your motor, or let the clutch get to the point where it begins to grind)
6. Right turn on red is not allowed; Often there is a yellow blinking light for right turns when the light is green. This means there is a pedestrian crossing you should watch out for.
7. Some places have separate lights for bicycles to give them an early start.
8. Overhead traffic lights are usually arranged horizontally.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #178
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8818

Pretty much the same as Germany then from what I can see. Very similar to the UK too.

I really hate driving a manual without the red+yellow phase before green as you always have some muppet in an automatic behind you beep as soon as green hits because they want to floor it out of the intersection...
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #179
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I really hate driving a manual without the red+yellow phase before green as you always have some muppet in an automatic behind you beep as soon as green hits because they want to floor it out of the intersection...
Why would you be slower with a manual transmission? If you keep 1st gear and don't release the clutch while waiting for green light I don't get why you would be slower.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #180
TheCat

The blinking yellow on right turns sounds just like in Israel, except that there it occurs when the right turn is separate from the traffic light (i.e. not controlled by it) and therefore is there regardless of whether the main light (for going straight/left) is red or green. It is also meant to warn for crossing people.