daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:52 AM   #221
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

that bean company will cost the state 15 million because they promised the colts so many parking spaces near LOS

Last edited by Paintrain; July 23rd, 2007 at 04:04 AM.
Paintrain no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #222
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

An update on the stadium construction progress from the IndyStar:

Some 850 people are now working at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Crews completed $20.6 million worth of construction in June alone. That includes the cost of materials, manpower, equipment and other expenses.
Some of the most visible progress has been made on the roof.

Earlier this month, contractors completed construction of the first of five massive steel trusses that run east to west and will support the retractable roof panels.

The final pieces of another east-west truss are scheduled to be raised by cranes and bolted into place on Friday or Saturday. The pieces are 30 to 40 feet tall and took two to three weeks to assemble on the field.

It will take roughly until the end of the year for all five beams to be completed, said Scott Blanchard, contract manager for Hunt Construction Group, which is managing the stadium project. At that point, cranes will be removed from the field area.

The retractable roof panels will begin going in sometime in the new year, and the roof won’t be fully operable until early next summer.

While lots of other work is going on inside and outside the stadium, the roof work is really driving the schedule now, Blanchard said.

“That’s got to get done, otherwise the rest of the work can’t get done,” Blanchard said. “It also dictates where others can work because of the overhead danger.”
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #223
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Will the RCA Dome be imploded or just get dismantled once the stadium is completed?
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #224
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Will the RCA Dome be imploded or just get dismantled once the stadium is completed?
The convention center will be expanded onto the site that currently houses the Dome. This will nearly double our CC's capacity. The Dome is to be demo'd (by what means is still not decided) next summer.
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #225
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

When you guys find out something, would you mind keeping the rest of us posted? I'd like to see that on tv.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #226
aavmarine

I keep having this vision of a popular band playing on the parting deck on opening nite of a certain season. I'm watching (of course on HD) the view from the Southside seats pointing toward the party deck with the windows open and the summer city skyline behind them. The place is rockin. The sun is setting on a perfect summer nite with a pink and orange sunset. The guys on tv keep talking about what an awesome stadium the Colts and Indianapolis have, while the camera keeps switching from the blimps aerial views looking through the retractable roof and the Southside cams looking around the stadium towards the North and out the huge retractable windows. I also see a couple of angels from outside on the Northside looking into the the windows and seeing everyone in their seats and some kind of dancing on the field. I don't know which season it is, but I do know it is after another SB win. Hopefully next year.
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #227
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The convention center will be expanded onto the site that currently houses the Dome. This will nearly double our CC's capacity. The Dome is to be demo'd (by what means is still not decided) next summer.
I thought that the convention center expansion and such will start after the season. What are the timetables for all these to be finished? New dome by opening day 2008-2009 season, then how about hotel, convention center? Thanks
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #228
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
I thought that the convention center expansion and such will start after the season. What are the timetables for all these to be finished? New dome by opening day 2008-2009 season, then how about hotel, convention center? Thanks
The RCA dome will come down immediately following next year rookies combine. Then construction will start on the CC with completion done and opening in 2010. As for the J.W. Marriott hotel going in, they are suppose to start breaking ground sometime early this fall and completion within 2 or 3 years. But now that we are not getting the SB in 2011, they might not start on it until next year or later. I have no link on the Marriott, this is just my own opinion.
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #229
cwilson758
Cory

well, we will still be hosting the Final Four in 2010, so it is supposed to be built in time for that (the JW)
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #230
Paintrain

does anyone if LOS could host World Cup soccer games i thought it would have been awsome if indy could get worldcup and USGP on the same day but the chances of that now are slim
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #231
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
does anyone if LOS could host World Cup soccer games i thought it would have been awsome if indy could get worldcup and USGP on the same day but the chances of that now are slim
YES and YES! The Indiana Sports Corporation is currently trying to get seom early rounds for the next World Cup.
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #232
Paintrain

thanks
Old July 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #233
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
well, we will still be hosting the Final Four in 2010, so it is supposed to be built in time for that (the JW)
These projects seem as though they will be late, in time for whatever event they will be wanted for. Then again, the Luke was quickly started, I believe whether the JW, Convention Center, or whatever is wanted on time the city will get things in gear. However, I would not want to be in a hotel, that is not done all the way, and you have to walk around workers, or the service does not have its kinks worked out! I was at the Riviera in Vegas several years ago, and they were upgrading parts of the old place, which was ok for its age, however a new place that has alot of time to have its politics worked out, start to finish...
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #234
aavmarine

You know, I'm looking at what will be the retractable window, and it sure doesn't look like it will be 84 ft high and 214 ft long. Isn't a floor in a building like 10-12 ft high? I'm probable wrong, but won't that put the window around 7-8 floors high and 15-21 floors wide? Maybe it is just me, but the opening doesn't look like its going to be that wide. Any answers on this?
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #235
aavmarine

As of this morning, it looks like they are either starting on the retractable window frame or maybe one of the actual windows. Anyhow, it looks pretty long.

http://www.oxblue.com/client/indianastadium/
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:28 AM   #236
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

The suburban pieces of shit are starting to rise (far right in link)
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:57 PM   #237
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
The thing is close to 300 foot tall. I think it's among the top ten tallest stadiums in the world.

Thing is, looking at it, and walking right next to it, it sure doesn't look as big as it actually is... I've been to the Grand Canyon, and it sure doesn't seem like I'm looking 6 miles essentially straight down, but I am.

I think with structures this size, our perception is thrown out of whack. I have no trouble believing that it's actually that size, but it sure doesn't seem like it up close. Our minds can't completely comprehend it.
Drove by on I-70 and that thing is absolutely MASSIVE.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:05 AM   #238
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Drove by on I-70 and that thing is absolutely MASSIVE.
It is frigging huge! It keeps getting bigger everyday, I swear. And they've still got quite a bit of mass to add yet.

I think it's finally setting in that this is going to be a permanent (well, as permanent as a downtown stadium can be) fixture in the skyline.
ablerock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:34 AM   #239
IndyTampaTom
DTIndy

Moochie: The Grand Canyon is a little over 1 mile deep - not six miles deep. Six miles would be about 31,000 feet which is taller than Mt. Everest.
IndyTampaTom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:52 AM   #240
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis