daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #241
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

Well, today was a pretty exciting day for me. I actually got to go inside the bowl to do a pour. Somethings I saw before I got inside the bowl:

1. South parking lot is starting. They are already starting to put asphalt down, and light posts. BTW, I didn't know this, but all the light posts in the parking area will have speakers on them for all the tailgators.

2. Lights on the side of the building are starting to go up. They are small spotlights pointing up alongside of the stadium. And other lights around the doors.

Okay, now what the stadium looks like inside. It was so cool driving down that ramp into the bowl. You cut right thru the inners of the stadium. Then you come into the bowl area. I really don't know how to discribe it, but "WOW!!!!" It is so huge inside. I sat there for about 45 mins (before I poured) in awe. I asked one of the ground managers about the 3 other trusses. He said they were not putting them together right now. But instead were starting on the smaller trusses where the roof will sit on. They had 3 of them done (one of them they were putting in place), and were putting the finishing touches on the other 2. Five altogether. I'm guessing they want to at least get half of them done before starting back up on the bigger trusses. They then moved me to the west side, because more and more trucks were coming in with steel. I pulled up about forty feet from the wall (the highest part of the lower deck). As I sat there, I was looking up to the press box and it looked like it was right above me. Thats how steep the seating is. I couldn't even see any of the seating from the second deck on up. I also saw that they have one of the two frames up for the replay tvs. Let me just say, it was bigger than my house. I'm guessing 3 or 4 times bigger than the one in the RCA dome. One thing I did notice is that there is a whole lot of construction left inside that bowl. I don't think any of the suites are even half way done, but I could be wrong. I still can't believe how massive it was to be in their. IMO, when done, I think the Luke will be one, if not the best stadium in the country. The design is nothing like you will ever see in your life. I have been in Hinkle and Conseco, and to me, both of them don't even come close to how beautiful this stadium will be. It is just amazing what man can do.

Well, I just wanted to share with you all on what I saw today. I'll try to keep you guys informed on what they are doing.
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #242
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Wow, thanks for the update and descriptions of the inside. Can't wait until I get a chance to go inside!
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #243
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Thanks for the first hand account.
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #244
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Is the project still on schedule? It is a bit disconcerting to hear that so little progress has been made on the innards of the satdium.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #245
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Is the project still on schedule? It is a bit disconcerting to hear that so little progress has been made on the innards of the satdium.
Yes, the stadium is still on schedule. I guess you may have read way between the lines. You do know that there is still a year left on construction. I didn't say I got of my truck and walked around. When I said "Still alot of work to be done", I meant the roof still needs to go up, the SE corner still need to go up, the seating still has to go in, glass has to be put up in the suites, and so on. And if you meant "innards" as the halls, stairs, bathrooms, and consession stands, then I have no idea. But seeing everyone running around and working, then I am sure that they are right on schedule for the opening.
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #246
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
Yes, the stadium is still on schedule. I guess you may have read way between the lines. You do know that there is still a year left on construction. I didn't say I got of my truck and walked around. When I said "Still alot of work to be done", I meant the roof still needs to go up, the SE corner still need to go up, the seating still has to go in, glass has to be put up in the suites, and so on. And if you meant "innards" as the halls, stairs, bathrooms, and consession stands, then I have no idea. But seeing everyone running around and working, then I am sure that they are right on schedule for the opening.
The first event at LOS is slated to occur in early summer 2008, so the construction crews have about 10 months to substantially finish the stadium.

The RCA Dome is going to be torn down in less than a year so LOS is going to have to be ready.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #247
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
The first event at LOS is slated to occur in early summer 2008, so the construction crews have about 10 months to substantially finish the stadium.

The RCA Dome is going to be torn down in less than a year so LOS is going to have to be ready.
Are you sure? I thought that the Colts' home opener was the first even in September 2008
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #248
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Are you sure? I thought that the Colts' home opener was the first even in September 2008
Before the Colts even get in the stadium, The nationals for the Drum and Bugle Corps will be held in it. Should be sometime in the summer of 2008. They have signed a contract with the city and stadium to move their headquarters to Indy and have the nationals play in the LOS for the next 18 years.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #249
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Before the Colts even get in the stadium, The nationals for the Drum and Bugle Corps will be held in it. Should be sometime in the summer of 2008. They have signed a contract with the city and stadium to move their headquarters to Indy and have the nationals play in the LOS for the next 18 years.
You've got that about 90% correct -- it's Drum Corp International (DCI) and the contract runs through 2018 (not the next 18 years).
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #250
aavmarine

Looks like they are starting on the retractable window frame. Getting closer!!!
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #251
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

From August 8th, 2007 Indianapolis Star:

Lucas Oil Stadium Model at Fair

Star Report

Lucas Oil Stadium is more than a year from opening, but Hoosiers who want a sneak peak at the Colts' new home can visit a model at the Indiana State Fair.

For the second year in a row, the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority will have a precisely engineered replica of the new stadium on display at the fair. Visitors can also check out renderings of the planned convention center expansion, which will be built once the RCA Dome is knocked down.

When the expansion is complete in 2010, the Indiana Convention Center will have a total of 1.2 million square feet of exhibit space, making it the 16th largest convention center in the country.

The stadium and convention center projects have a combined budget of $990 million and are being paid for primarily through restaurant taxes in Marion County and surrounding counties, and hotel and car-rental taxes in Marion County.

The stadium and convention center exhibit will be housed in Booth No. 436 in the center of the Toyota Exposition Hall, near the open area that features Indiana-made cars and trucks. The booth will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #252
hoosier

The metal piping is going in at the NW corner!
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #253
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
It is just amazing what man can do.
Women can do it too.
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #254
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Women can do it too.
yah, what are you saying aavmarine,
are women incapable of doing so?
I am like, offended. JERK.
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #255
aavmarine

Quote:
The metal piping is going in at the NW corner!
Those are the air ducts or vents. When I did a pour last week, I pulled right up next to them. They don't look that big from the cam, but when you get right up next to them, they are huge. They have to be a least ten feet wide or larger, Big enough to fit a SUV into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
yah, what are you saying aavmarine,
are women incapable of doing so?
I am like, offended. JERK.

I think you guys know what I meant. That is called sarcasm, right? I actually saw some women down their. They were walking around, but they did have a hard hat on, vest, and even a tool belt.
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #256
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Those are the air ducts or vents. When I did a pour last week, I pulled right up next to them. They don't look that big from the cam, but when you get right up next to them, they are huge. They have to be a least ten feet wide or larger, Big enough to fit a SUV into.

I think you guys know what I meant. That is called sarcasm, right? I actually saw some women down their. They were walking around, but they did have a hard hat on, vest, and even a tool belt.
of course I'm being sarcastic lol.
I'm not some nazi femanist XD
yah, I noticed that. But whenever I see them, they arent ever doing hard work like the male workers are.
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #257
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
of course I'm being sarcastic lol.
I'm not some nazi femanist XD
yah, I noticed that. But whenever I see them, they arent ever doing hard work like the male workers are.
Yes, I know, I was just playing your game. ha,ha.. I found a little article on another forum, so don't yell at me if this has already been posted on here. I thought this was pretty cool. It talks about tayloring to the blue and white collar fans. I wouldn't mind having a season pass to the Quarterbacks suites. They sound like they are going to be a blast.
I also remember reading in some magazine a while back, "That in the not so future, ticket holder seats will have a small (8-10 in) hi def touch screen tv, where the fan can interact with the NFL. They will be able to watch their game or catch other NFL games. Watch instant replays of a play that just happened, bring up the history or stats of a player or game, and even order drinks and food to be delivered to them." That would be cool if our stadium was the first to have this. Here is the article:

What's in it for the fans?
A wider seat, more legroom and Wi-Fi for all. Those who pay more also will get fireplaces, beer tubs and pool tables.

Whether you're a Colts fan paying top dollar for a fancy suite, or a blue-collar backer who can only afford the cheap seats, there's something in the new Indiana Stadium for you.

Fireplaces in club lounges. Pool tables in the quarterback suites. Wireless Internet access throughout. A little more room in the seat.

The nearly 500-page stadium plan released Monday details how nearly every inch of the new building will look and be used -- from the size of potted plants to the width of the seats.

Though officials are three years away from installing the last seat, here's what fans can expect in the new facility, depending on how much you're willing to pay. Prices, however, haven't been set.

The cheap seats

Forget those metal, stadium bleacher seats found in the RCA Dome. The new stadium will have all real seats with backs, small armrests and cup holders. The seat width will grow by approximately 1 inch, to 20 inches. The legroom grows, too, from about 31 inches now to 33 inches.

Colts-themed trash cans will be sprinkled throughout the concourses, as will lifesaving defibrillators, ATMs and approximately one concession stand for every 175 patrons. The concession stands will have a 1920s and 1930s retro theme. Those who venture outside their seats won't miss the action either, as televisions will line the concourses.

Bathroom facilities will be plentiful. There will be an average of one toilet for every 200 men and one urinal for every 80. There will be an average of one toilet for every 50 women. Toilets will automatically flush, and hand washers will use paper towels, not dryers.

Clubbing it

Those who want to pay more for roomier, cushier club seats will get an extra inch of seat space -- or about 21 inches. Legroom also grows, to at least 35 inches. Seat bottoms will be extra plush and padded.

Club patrons will have access to approximately 72,700 total square feet of lounge space, or upscale, private bar and dining areas.

There, they will find dozens of high-definition television sets sprinkled throughout, along with 10- and 30-gallon potted plants and four fireplaces.

The bathroom ratios get better for men here, where there will be an average of one urinal for every 60 men. In the restrooms, patrons will be able to keep track of the game through a sound system tied into the stadium audio.

Club seat fans also are likely to have shorter lines at the concession stands. There will be approximately one point-of-sale for every 125 patrons.

The suite life

There are at least 14 different types of suites, or luxury boxes.

Fans who can afford this luxury will get theater-style seats, at least 22 inches wide and 36 inches of legroom with either leather or premium-grade upholstery. There will be a refrigerator, icebox, built-in beer tub and granite countertops.

The suites will have interactive touch-screen computers with special software where fans can interact with replays, game stats and rules. Flat-screen HDTVs will not only be in the suites, but outside them as well so fans don't miss any action.

No detail is too small. Coat closets will even have upscale hangers.

Bathroom lines will be even shorter. There's an average of one toilet and urinal for every 32 men, and one toilet for every 16 women.

For fans in any of the 10 quarterback suites, there will pool tables and servers who can take individual food orders.

Tailgaters

A parking lot with 3,000 spaces will provide tailgating space before and after events. Speakers will hang off the light poles, which also will provide electricity for RVs. About 200 of those spaces will be reserved for coaches and players.

Coach and players

Players get a locker room with 90 lockers, three grease boards, 24 showers and a drying area for 15 players at a time. The coach (now Tony Dungy, left) gets his own office, restroom and refrigerator. The coach and players' families get lounges.
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #258
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #259
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

My God this thing is going to be huge. Just look at the roof!
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #260
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
My God this thing is going to be huge. Just look at the roof!
Coming back to downtown from picking up my wife from the airport on Sunday, I noticed that one of the best views of the stadium in relation to downtown is between the Holt Rd. exit and the bridge over Tibbs Ave. The stadium is really massive and impressive the closer you to downtown, but I think that the view from a distance really puts things in perspective. In particular, it shows you how far the stadium is from the core of buildings downtown.

Tags
indianapolis