daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #281
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Since we're on the subject of converting the stacks, I've always thought that would be a great site for a museum, especially a modern art museum.
If they did that and it turned out even half as well as Tate Modern did that would be really cool, but I doubt it's going to be anything but a steam plant for the foreseeable future. I hated that building when I was younger, but now it's one of my favorites.

I was going to take some pics of the luke yesterday from weird places like New York and WRP, and Bluff and Wisconsin, but it was just too damn hazy. But it really does add a lot of visual interest to the skyline. It's going to look great when it's done, I think.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #282
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I just took this a little bit ago. I am testing the picture quality of my new phone, and I must, I am pleased!

Old September 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM   #283
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Why is it so hard to get a fix on how large this thing is? It's close to 300' foot tall, but those trucks in the foreground make it look smaller than a 10 story building... wtf?
You know, I was looking at the renderings yesterday and it occured to me that there is a ton of brick that still needs to be added to the ends of the stadium. That may help give it the mass it needs to "feel" really tall in shots like this.

For comparison:

CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM   #284
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I am still loving the LOS.
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #285
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone know why they are starting to rip up the North parking lot between LOS and the RCA Dome? Did some plan fall thru for this space?

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #286
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/pc/?id=...1&yr=2007&mt=9

Some nice pics of "Da Luke"
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #287
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

The Speculated Parking Garage Maybe?

Quote:
I just walked the dog around The Luke... The Hurst buildings have been torn down, except for the nice brick one, and a lot of foundation work is being done on the Hurst site.. I think I may have seen a caisson.. wtf is going on there?
Who knows. We shall investigate it though!
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #288
aavmarine

Quote:
I have no idea... weird.. It's a rather inopportune time to lose a parking lot isn't it? That lot is slated for future convention center expansion and I'm not aware of any current plans for it.
Maybe it is part of the underground connection between the Luke and new CC. Maybe that is a starting point.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #289
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Hey, I can't seem to inlarge any of those pics on the site. Is anyone else having this problem? Maybe it's just my computer.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #290
Unionstation13

Quote:
I just walked the dog around The Luke... The Hurst buildings have been torn down, except for the nice brick one, and a lot of foundation work is being done on the Hurst site.. I think I may have seen a caisson.. wtf is going on there?
maybe the hurst building has been purchased and will be restored(I hope!)?
The Hurst building isnt the exchange block, but I found a gritty industrial charm to it!
Hell, if that area starts seeing development, maybe more of the brick industrial buildings down there will be converted into commercial and warehouse condos.
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #291
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
Does anyone know why they are starting to rip up the North parking lot between LOS and the RCA Dome? Did some plan fall thru for this space?
They're ripping up the section where the Convention Center Connector will be. It follows Capital south to South Street, passing under the bridge, then heading underground to connect to The Luke. There will be a two story glass cube across the street from The Luke on the NW corner of South and Capital.

Old September 17th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #292
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #293
aavmarine

"Not Your Grandfather's Fieldhouse!"

Found this in the Star. Talks about some of the new technology that will be in the Luke: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2007709160461

When fans stream into Lucas Oil Stadium next year, they'll be able to pay for hot dogs and beer with credit cards, use WiFi to surf the Web and watch replays on bigger, better video boards.

Multitasking: One future possibility for Colts fans is Kangaroo TV, which provides rented hand-held televisions that fans -- like this one in Miami -- can use to watch other NFL games live. - Photo provided by Kangaroo TV

TECH TALK

A look at how technology is changing the game-day experience at other sporting venues:

Dolphin Stadium
(Home of the Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins)

In 2006, the stadium installed a wireless point-of-sale system that allowed it to begin accepting credit cards at concession stands, stores and in seating areas. The new system also has allowed baseball fans in premium seats to order, pay for and have food delivered to their seats without ever getting up. That service is not currently offered during football games.

Lucas: Lucas Oil Stadium will accept credit and debit cards, but the Colts have no plans to offer in-seat service.

Safeco Field
(Home of the Seattle Mariners)

The Nintendo Fan Network, a pilot program offered by Nintendo, allows fans to bring their Nintendo DS hand-held game consoles to the ballpark and pay $5 per game to access live video feed and replays of the game, trivia contests, statistics and scores of other games.

Fans also can order food and have it delivered to their seats using the device. Nintendo is only piloting this program at Safeco. Through a separate partnership with Verizon, fans can order food from their seats by text messaging, play games, and text photos, some of which appear on a video board.

Lucas: No such plans at present.

AT&T Park
(Home of the San Francisco Giants)

The ballpark has offered free wireless Internet service throughout the stadium -- and even into nearby McCovey Cove -- since the 2004 season. Fans can access the Internet using laptops, iPhones and other wireless devices, and can play games and compete against other fans on interactive devices such as the Sony PlayStation Portable.

Lucas: Plans to offer free WiFi.

Kangaroo TV
Offered at Reliant Stadium (Houston), Qwest Field (Seattle), Dolphin Stadium (Miami) and FedEx Field (Washington)

Fans of the Houston Texans, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins and Washington Redskins can rent hand-held devices that allow them to watch other games live on DirecTV and their home team's action as it is happening. Viewers also have access to fantasy football statistics, score updates and other features. It costs $24.95 per game, or fans can buy a season pass.

Kangaroo TV hopes to expand to other NFL stadiums.

Lucas: The Colts are keeping an eye on the technology but have not decided whether the benefit is worth the cost.

Sources: Dolphin Enterprises, Seattle Mariners, Nintendo of America, San Francisco Giants, Kangaroo TV

Just as high-definition TVs, TiVo and surround sound have revolutionized the way sports fans watch games from the comfort of home, technology is also enhancing the game-day experience at ballparks and stadiums across the country.
Lucas Oil Stadium, scheduled to open in August 2008, will be no exception.
"It's certainly not your grandfather's fieldhouse," said Fred Glass, head of the Capital Improvement Board, which will run the stadium for the city once it is built. "We want this building to be viable for the next 30 years. We want to be on the cutting edge of the next series of buildings."
To that end, those in charge of building the stadium say it is being wired with miles of fiber optics and other infrastructure that should let the city and Colts introduce tech-based features and services down the road, including some that may not have been dreamed up yet.
Officials are watching as other stadiums experiment with such things as hand-held devices that fans can rent to can watch other games live, and access scores and statistics.
"We're planning for the future, not the past," said John Klipsch, executive director of the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority, the state agency building the new stadium.
Klipsch couldn't provide a cost for all the technology, saying it is spread out among many contracts and that some purchases haven't been made yet. The tab is included in the total price of the stadium, which is estimated to cost from $695 million to $720 million.
Paying with plastic

Unlike at the Dome, where fans either need to carry cash or wait in line at ATMs, concession stands at Lucas Oil Stadium will accept credit cards.
Fox said the RCA Dome could have been retrofitted to accept credit cards, but it would have cost too much.
Elsewhere, such changes have helped to reduce wait times.
"It's a huge guest-service improvement," said George Torres, a spokesman for Dolphin Enterprises, which recently upgraded technology at Dolphin Stadium, allowing food stands and other retail points to accept credit and debit cards.
"Before we had a lot of ATM machines, and the lines were long. Now people don't have to do that."
Pete Ward, senior executive vice president for the Colts, said the team has no plans to offer in-seat food service, as some stadiums and ballparks are doing. He noted the success of such programs has been limited so far.
"It's a social event, and there is probably something to be said for wanting to get up and move around at timeouts and halftime to socialize," Ward said.
But if team officials change their minds down the road, the point-of-sale credit card system being installed would give the club the option to do so, Klipsch said.
The system would enable attendants in certain seating sections to take and submit orders in the stands, then run credit cards remotely using portable, wireless devices.
TV upgrades

Officials say the feature fans are most likely to appreciate is the new video boards, used for replays, highlights and entertainment throughout the game.
At 96 feet wide and 27 feet high, the two video boards will be more than three times the size of those in the RCA Dome. One will be in the northwest corner, the other in the southeast.
The image will also be better.
"The resolution is going to be greatly enhanced, and you're going to see a lot more detail," Klipsch said. Another 1,500 feet of narrow "ribbon board" will hang from the club level and ring the stadium, allowing the Colts to post messages, entertain and light up the arena.
That's compared to only 40 feet of ribbon board at the Dome, and that was primarily put in place for use as scoreboards during basketball games, said Mike Fox, stadium director of the Dome, who will hold the same position at the new stadium.
About 1,100 additional flat-screen TVs and monitors will dot the building in places such as concourses and suites, making it easier for fans to keep up with the action no matter where they are.
Going wireless

Klipsch said the stadium building authority is looking to make the entire venue a free wireless hotspot, allowing the public to access the Internet. That is still in the planning stages, and those in charge of construction must make sure it will not interfere with other systems or else they would have to scale back the area where WiFi is available.
Surfing the Web while watching a football game may seem unusual, but a growing number of stadiums and ballparks are making the service available, in part to accommodate the growing number of fantasy sports fanatics who want instant statistics about how players involved in other games are doing.
AT&T Park, home of Major League Baseball's San Francisco Giants, has offered free wireless service since the 2004 season.
Bill Schlough, senior vice president and chief information office for the Giants, said people use iPhones or other wireless devices to get online, and kids compete in interactive games against each other using Sony PlayStation Portable consoles. Others bring laptops.
Planning ahead

Exactly what other new tech-related features will be offered at Lucas Oil Stadium in coming years is unclear, but officials say the important thing is the stadium has been designed to accommodate an array of options without undergoing an expensive overhaul.
One possibility: Ward said the Colts are interested in technology that would allow fans to watch replays on-demand using personal devices.
It would have been too expensive to retrofit the Dome with such technology, but the new stadium opens the door to the possibility, he said. Even if such technology were made available, it likely would be only in suites, and possibly club seats, because of the cost.
The Colts are also keeping an eye on other technology that is being piloted or put in place elsewhere but want to see what's cost-efficient and what really adds to the fan experience.
For instance, four NFL stadiums -- Reliant Stadium, Qwest Field, Dolphin Stadium and FedEx Field -- are offering Kangaroo TV. For $24.95 per game, fans can rent hand-held televisions that allow them to watch other NFL games live.
And at Safeco Field in Seattle, fans can take pictures on their cell phones and text them to the stadium. Some are displayed on video boards.
While Ward couldn't say whether either of those programs would ever be put in place at Lucas Oil Stadium, he said the Colts will develop amenities over the next year aimed at helping fans have a good time.
But while gadgets and gizmos may be interesting, Ward said, fans are ultimately drawn to the stadium because of the gridiron action.
"We're fortunate to be in the business of professional football, because that's the primary form of entertainment, and it handles itself," he said.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #294
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

I love the wifi idea. I'll probably have to buy a new ipod for next season.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #295
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Cladding is going in on one of the Dora Hotels along West Street located on the right hand side of the webcam image.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #296
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

She is a beauty.

If only all projects in Indy went this smoothely and timely.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #297
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

A photo tour is up on Circles and Squares:

http://circleandsquares.blogspot.com...hoto-tour.html
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #298
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Sexxxy Pictures of The Luke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
A photo tour is up on Circles and Squares:

http://circleandsquares.blogspot.com...hoto-tour.html
I like em, i like em A LOT!
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #299
Unionstation13

Wow. It looks as though the interior enterance areas will look like the interior of a 1930's stadium aswell.
I wonder if any new development in downtown Indy will use the same kind of brick(and method).
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #300
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Awesome video up at the Indy Star. Stadium Tour

Tags
indianapolis