daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #321
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Ford Field in Detroit has a brick facade too, but the thing that differentiates LOS from the rest in my mind is the fact that LOS is essentially the world's biggest gym.

I don't particularly like the design but I will say that the context couldn't be more appropriate. The building reminds you of a high school gym, or a barn, or possibly both. Conservative design with not too much going on.

I've never understood the fascination people from Indiana have with gyms. It's ironic because most of the metro area's high schools are suburban in nature with very little emphasis on the gym.
The LOS is trying to recreate the 1930s gym style(and to an extant it does)
but lack of ornaments makes it look more-so fake than it has to be.
Even a few plaster peices on the front and back would do this structure wonders.

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #322
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

Is it me or are the new molds they are putting up on the North end today starting to look like a checker board. I know the are all suppose to be one color, but the white parts are starting to go white, dark white (gray), white, like a checker board. Hopefully every other molds are just very dirty. They are right behind the crane, and you can see it better if you zoom in. Check out the site:

http://iccrd.com/stdm/index.aspx

P.S. Let me know if I'm not the only one that sees this.

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #323
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
I attended a function in the dome the other day, and it just occured to me that the Hoosier/RCA Dome and LOS are really opposites, in terms of design, functionality, and overall feel.

The dome itself is unrecognizable to the dome built in 1984, and this is how it will probably look just prior to demoltion:
How is the current dome so different than the original one?

Some before/after pictures would be great!
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #324
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Well, the dome just looked so cold and bland back then.
Compare this

to this
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #325
hoosier

The Colts have added some superficial touches to the Dome- the big player pictures and banners- but other than that is pretty much the exact same as it was in 1984.

The Convention Center also has been redesigned and is much more inviting and there is more street life along Capital Avenue now than in 1984 as well.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #326
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The Colts have added some superficial touches to the Dome- the big player pictures and banners- but other than that is pretty much the exact same as it was in 1984.

The Convention Center also has been redesigned and is much more inviting and there is more street life along Capital Avenue now than in 1984 as well.
Yeah...that was my point.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #327
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

There've been a few changes to the exterior of the RCA Dome.

image hosted on flickr

In the pics already posted you can also see the suite level addition along Capitol. Not a whole lot of change, of course, but a nice excuse to post that sweet mid-80s aerial shot.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #328
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Indy's skyline was so shitty back then.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #329
hoosier

That's an awesome shot pig!

If you find anymore historical photos of the Dome please post them!
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #330
IndyTampaTom
DTIndy

Aavmarine: Regarding the checkerboard look of the white panels - I agree - and I don't like it. I looked at the architectural drawings for the finished stadium however (from the April 23, 2006 Indianapolis Star) and saw a different look for that area. They do not show white stripes running up between those brick panels. They show brick columns continuing up to about half way through the height of the huge, retractable window. The version in the drawings looks much, much better. I think (hope) the white stripes you see are just temporary pieces that are holding the "pseudo brick" panels together that are currently going up. I think that once they are in place, the extensions of the brick columns will continue up and on top of those white stripes. As soon as I saw the web-cam views of the stadium today - I thought the same thing - that those panels really look ugly. Hopefully I'm right and the white stripes will be covered up with much better looking brick columns.
IndyTampaTom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #331
aavmarine

Your right, after looking at the cam, I then went to the renderings and saw the same thing you did. I probable should have done that before I posted the above. I'm sure what you said is right. They are following the renderings very close.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #332
Unionstation13

I was just thinking how different the westside of downtown is going to feel without the RCA dome.
Once the new convention center is complete, that area of downtown will feel more walkable, urban, tasteful, sleek, etc(insert other random words here).
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #333
aavmarine

"Like No Other"

There was a nice article in the Star the other day about the tour given on Tuesday for the architects and local tv stations. This is it: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2007710170479

The architects behind Lucas Oil Stadium hoped to design a building unlike any other sports arena.

65% DONE: Architects and the media get ready to tour Lucas Oil Stadium. "It looks magnificent. It's one thing to have 3-D models of what the stadium is going to look like, but it's always better in person," John Hutchings of HKS architects said.

WHAT'S NEXT

>>December: Structural steel work will be completed.

>>February: Retractable roof panels on the stadium's west side will begin to move.

>>April: Retractable roof panels on the stadium's east side will begin to move.

>>Summer: Retractable roof will be finished; north window will be completed; field turf will be installed.

>>August: Stadium scheduled to open.

Source: Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority

After touring the project Tuesday, they said it looked as if they had pulled it off.
"The first time a blimp is over this stadium for a nationally televised game, the whole country will see a roof and a stadium design here that are unlike any other in the world," said John Hutchings, a partner in Dallas-based HKS.
"As soon as they see this stadium from above, they'll know it's Indianapolis."
The stadium is about 65 percent complete.
Crews have begun to install the blue supports for hundreds of seats in about 20 sections on the stadium's west side. Work continues on the steel trusses that will support the stadium's one-of-a-kind retractable roof. Work also continues on concourses, concession stands and the tiling of stadium suites.
In all, more than 1,000 workers are on the site daily, trying to achieve the vision drawn up by HKS architects.
"It looks magnificent. It's one thing to have 3-D models of what the stadium is going to look like, but it's always better in person," said Hutchings. "I think the fans of the state of Indiana are going to be quite pleased with the results."
As the construction of retractable-roof stadiums has become more prevalent across the country, architect Bryan Trubey said many have fit into the same cookie-cutter mold. In his firm's pitch to design Lucas Oil, Trubey said it placed aerial pictures of four retractable-roof stadiums side by side.
"You couldn't tell them apart," he said. "That's become a big challenge in our business."
Lucas Oil Stadium's roof, though, will be unique.
Trubey said it will feature the only retractable roof in the country with two moving panels that will meet in a peak above the center of the stadium. Those same panels will rest above seating on the east and west sides of the stadium when the roof is open.
Also distinct to Lucas Oil will be the large window on the north side of the stadium that will open to provide a view of the Downtown skyline.
"We wanted a building that would be recognizable worldwide. We wanted to create something unique," said Trubey, also a principal with HKS. "For more than half a billion dollars, you should get that."
Lucas Oil Stadium, which is estimated to cost from $695 million to $720 million, is scheduled to open in August.

There is also a nice video link: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EO02/310170005

I have also notice, that in the last 1 1/2 weeks they seem to be rushing to get the exterior brick molds into place. I quess they thought this great weather we are having can't last much longer. I haven't been down to the stadium this week, but I know we still have to do the steps for the party deck and lower bowl seats (which they are building now). Once the huge cranes move out, and the lower bowl is finished, I think then we will start on the concrete slab for the field. (97,000 sq ft)

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #334
_ttam_

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I was just thinking how different the westside of downtown is going to feel without the RCA dome.
Once the new convention center is complete, that area of downtown will feel more walkable, urban, tasteful, sleek, etc(insert other random words here).
Boring, cold, ugly. Unless they invest a lot of time and creativity into a good solution the new stadium will create a gulf in downtown. Frankly, the way it's situated the RCA Dome is one of the best feats of urban design in the country. There's nothing like being part of the hoards of people walking through Pan Am Plaza and the streets of downtown on a game day. All parts of every city can't be that busy every day, but the stadium is one day when the city becomes alive, and when tens of thousands who rarely visit the city come and experience it! We will lose that when the stadium moves across the gulf of railroad tracks. Unless we get a creative design for that 100-200' of railroad underpass, people will park next to the stadium and never cross South street again. Fine you say, but when that happens, Indy has lost part of it's charm. Look at the following pictures.

Now:

A view from the railroad viaduct that will divide the city and ruin the great downtown stadium feel that we have now...

And a closer view of the walk:

Last edited by _ttam_; October 25th, 2007 at 05:54 AM.
_ttam_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #335
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Save the Tracks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ttam_ View Post

And a closer view of the walk:
Thanks for sharing the photos. I think the tracks are a great urban element that gives character to downtown. The underside could be enhanced by simply getting creative with the lighting and installing a few art exhibits or painting murals on the walls.

In addition, it cannot be underestimated how important the tracks will be in bringing mass transit to downtown (picture people riding a train from the northside to Union Station to attend events at The Luke or coming from the airport to attend conventions). As the area south of the tracks continues to re-develop and urban neighborhoods take root, the tracks will be centrally located and convenient for both visitors and residents.
k2h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #336
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ttam_ View Post
Boring, cold, ugly. Unless they invest a lot of time and creativity into a good solution the new stadium will create a gulf in downtown. Frankly, the way it's situated the RCA Dome is one of the best feats of urban design in the country. There's nothing like being part of the hoards of people walking through Pan Am Plaza and the streets of downtown on a game day. All parts of every city can't be that busy every day, but the stadium is one day when the city becomes alive, and when tens of thousands who rarely visit the city come and experience it! We will lose that when the stadium moves across the gulf of railroad tracks. Unless we get a creative design for that 100-200' of railroad underpass, people will park next to the stadium and never cross South street again. Fine you say, but when that happens, Indy has lost part of it's charm. Look at the following pictures.

]
I don't consider the RCA dome to be an urban dream. It is cold, depressing, and bland. I understand your point though about it attracting thousands of people, but the convention center attracts alot more people. Indianapolis is known for its live downtown, and most people who come for the games come for what is downtown aswell, and most people arent going to give up a day of fun for a two second walk under a dark bridge. They just need to light it up better, like k2h stated. The Luke will spread downtown southward. Though the tracks are a factor, how do places like the Slippery Noodle do so well then? I see people going under the tracks all the time to get to it.
I agree with k2h, the tracks are a great urban asset, could you imagine downtown without it?!
Once a lightrail(or in my dreams a bullet train) comes in, the area will be used alot more, infact I think our beloved Historical Unionstation could become the trainstation for that area. There is a part of the tracks that is actually quiet interesting, the early 20th century section is an interesting part.
Once the new convention center expansion comes in, it will probably be alot nicer(especially street level wise, since people have the tendancy to keep focused at their level). Once the JW Marriott(sp?) is finished, it will add an interesting shot aswell.
BTW, does anyone think its possible that a highrise could be included in the convention center expansion?
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #337
hoosier

An underground people mover is being built to connect the Luke with the Convention Center so people won't have to cross under the railroad tracks to get to the new stadium.
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #338
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

I view the RR tracks debate as a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" situation. Are the tracks really a barrier or is it the simple fact that there's nothing there (other than the Noodle)? I'm inclined to believe the latter. Make something worth going to and people will go to it, tracks or no.

Of course, making the walk more pleasant certainly couldn't hurt.
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #339
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I view the RR tracks debate as a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" situation. Are the tracks really a barrier or is it the simple fact that there's nothing there (other than the Noodle)? I'm inclined to believe the latter. Make something worth going to and people will go to it, tracks or no.

Of course, making the walk more pleasant certainly couldn't hurt.
They should widen up the sidewalks underneath and pave them with brick or some sort of pleasent patterning, then paint the interior bright colors, maybe make an art project out of it.
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #340
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
Any changes in design for the convention center? Even though I am not a big fan of the surfboard overhang in the front, it is still at least something different. I thought there was a possible leave out of that or something cosmetic that may not happen. The dome, was always small, my only time in it was for a dirt ralley of sorts in 1984. But the dome was with the team a big drawing card, but its time has come. To be honest, I liked Market Square, and I liked its design for a number of years. Again....
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis