daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #361
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

they are the restrooms silly!

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #362
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
they are the restrooms silly!
I don't think so..lol. Maybe they are ticket booths.

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #363
Unionstation13

I was joking.
they seem to be in a pretty odd location for ticket booths.
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:27 AM   #364
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I was joking.
they seem to be in a pretty odd location for ticket booths.
Actually, if you look at the larger rendering, those blocks are right in front of the "Ticket Office". I think it's a safe bet that those are ticket booths.
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM   #365
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I'm wondering if they may be ventilation for the tunnel from the convention center. They could serve dual-purposes as information kiosks and vents.
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #366
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

Lucas Oil Stadium Photo Tour

I didnt see someone already posted the photo tour, so I took it off and cant change the headline. BUT! I noticed the giant window facing the skyline is having its frame installed, also I heard there was a worker that fell and was injured. I think thats the first injury since construction began in 2005 if I remember right.
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #367
aavmarine

Indianapolis going for 2012 SB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Dallas out of the picture, the odds of Indianapolis landing the 2012 Super Bowl are significantly better.

IS INDY READY FOR THE BIG GAME?

THE PROS

• New publicly financed stadium with retractable roof and up to 70,000 seats.

• Compact Downtown, allowing fans to walk to events.

• Experience in hosting big events, such as the Indianapolis 500 and the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard.

THE CONS

• Cold-weather city with average February temperatures at least 24 degrees below those of rivals.

• Never hosted a Super Bowl.

• Small-market city with limited hotel capacity.

NEXT STEPS

• April 1: The city's preliminary bid for 2012 game is due.

• May: NFL owners make a decision at meeting in Atlanta.

• September: Lucas Oil Stadium hosts first regular-season game.

• 2010: Expanded Indiana Convention Center scheduled for opening.

• 2011: 1,000-room JW Marriott Hotel scheduled to open near stadium.

• 2012: The NFL's 46th Super Bowl in February.

HAVE AN IDEA?
Go to www.our2012sb.com to submit ideas on how to make the Super Bowl a true community event.

That, at least, is how Colts owner Jim Irsay saw it Tuesday as he joined Mayor Greg Ballard to formally announce the city would try once more to win over NFL team owners and land hosting duties for the 46th Super Bowl.
Owners last year gave the 2011 game to Dallas, in part because that city's $1 billion stadium will be the biggest in the NFL when it opens next year.
Irsay, who again pledged $1 million toward the bid, said several owners told him last year that the city's two-vote loss was due simply to Dallas' larger stadium, which could draw $23 million more in ticket sales.
Neither of the potential competitors this year, Houston and Glendale, Ariz., would be able to overwhelm Lucas Oil Stadium, which can expand from 63,000 seats to about 70,000 for the big game.
What Indy has to offer

Mark Miles, who is leading the effort to solicit $25 million in corporate donations for the event, said Indianapolis can win this time for many of the same reasons organizers cited in 2007:
• Its compact Downtown, with facilities connected by indoor walkways.
• Experience in handling big events, such as the Indianapolis 500.
• A strong NFL franchise in the Colts.
• The community spirit needed to pull together for big events.
But your help is needed

City leaders want your input on how to make the Super Bowl a true community event.
"We want to step back and get ideas from people in this community about how to hold a 50,000-person party and how to build a Super Bowl village Downtown," Miles said.
That "village" will be a place for fans to go when they're not at the game. Last year, the Indy bid committee signed contracts with nearly 100 venues, many Downtown, that said they could host parties and other events.
The 2012 bid will build on the 2011 submission, with enhancements to be added.
Preliminary bid documents will be submitted to the NFL by April 1; the final bid is due May 9.
Indianapolis representatives will then travel to the league meeting in Atlanta to make the city's presentation to the NFL team owners. A final decision is expected by May 21.

I did not take these. These pics came with the article.
New seats with Colts emblem on each row. There will be 63,000 seats.

View from the upper seats of the South endzone looking towards to the Norh retractable windows and view of downtown Indy.

Finishing up the air ducts.

Looking towrds to the South endzone. One of the four mammoth roof columns.

This is on the party deck (upper North endzone). Looking at the track system for the retractable windows.

Party deck looking towards the South seats.

1/3 of the fields concrete slab is done.

My favorite pic. Looking North from the massive Quarterbacks suite. What an awesome view.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #368
chefjeff28

Likes (Received): 45

That view from the South endzone is priceless!!
chefjeff28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #369
UrbanTom

In the article it says, "Neither of the potential competitors this year, Houston and Glendale,Arizona, would be able .....". What about New Orleans? I had heard they were bidding. I was most concerned about them being in the competition because they would get the sympathy vote. If they are out, I feel our chances are pretty decent - because both Houston and Arizona have just recently hosted the Super Bowl - and I think the team owners will feel Indy deserves the opportunity to host the event. I think the downtown setup is really ideal too. If we're lucky we might have a decent day with temps in the forties or maybe even the fifties. A few years ago a good friend of mine got married in mid February and it was amazing - it was sunny and the temps were in the 60's! I'm not counting on that though - but with everything so close together downtown - it will be a great party.
UrbanTom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #370
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTom View Post
In the article it says, "Neither of the potential competitors this year, Houston and Glendale,Arizona, would be able .....". What about New Orleans? I had heard they were bidding. I was most concerned about them being in the competition because they would get the sympathy vote. If they are out, I feel our chances are pretty decent - because both Houston and Arizona have just recently hosted the Super Bowl - and I think the team owners will feel Indy deserves the opportunity to host the event. I think the downtown setup is really ideal too. If we're lucky we might have a decent day with temps in the forties or maybe even the fifties. A few years ago a good friend of mine got married in mid February and it was amazing - it was sunny and the temps were in the 60's! I'm not counting on that though - but with everything so close together downtown - it will be a great party.
I never heard about N.Orleans, but who knows. IMO, I think N. Orleans will have a hard time from now on in ever get the SB again. I think maybe the owners will always resort back to Katrina, and what would happens if it happens again. Could they take that chance? I know there is always that "what if" out there. Even here in Indy. But something like that, especially if it happens again within the next four years, it would be devastating not just to the city, but to the whole state...again.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #371
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

So is this beauty on schedule?
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #372
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTom View Post
What about New Orleans?
New Orleans has bowed out already.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM   #373
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
So is this beauty on schedule?
So far, yes. IMO, I think they wil start to work on the weekends to make up for all the days they missed during this winter.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM   #374
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Stadium District?

Currently, i am working on a project in San Diego and have had the opportunity to experience living in downtown San Diego. Like Indianapolis, San Diego has a great downtown revitalization story. There are also similarities between the two cities when it comes to downtown redevelopment strategies. For example, the major the catalyst for downtown redevelopment in San Diego was a regional mall, which opening in 1985. In addition, the City of San Diego has invested millions in the convention center facilities, which has proven a very effective strategy to lure major conventions and tourist dollars.

Whether Indianapolis decision-makers consider San Diego successes when analyzing redevelopment ideas/strategies for Indianapolis is unknown to me, but i would hope someone is taking notice of the Stadium District in San Diego (see photos and links to additional information below).

The City of San Diego has done an incredible job of capitalizing on the public investment in a baseball stadium by creating master plan for area in and around the stadium. The decision to implement a master plan and set a vision for the stadium area has spurred millions in private investment and essentially created a new neighborhood that is a highly desirable place to live these days.

Indianapolis could certainly learn a lot from San Diego when it comes to capitalizing on the public investment in Lucas Oil Stadium.

http://www.jmirealty.com/about/ballpark/
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/sdobpk.htm

Last edited by k2h; March 3rd, 2008 at 07:13 AM.
k2h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM   #375
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig View Post
New Orleans has bowed out already.
Actually, I just read an article that indicated that New Orleans is making a bid.

Per the IBJ Daily email:
New Orleans jumps into Super Bowl mix
Indianapolis seemed to be the front-runner to host the 2012 Super Bowl until New Orleans announced last week that it would shoot for the game. The hurricane-battered city could prove a sentimental favorite over Indianapolis as well as Houston and Phoenix, which have also said they will bid. To read more and weigh in, go to IBJ's new sports business blog, The Score.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM   #376
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
The decision to implement a master plan and set a vision for the stadium area has spurred millions in private investment and essentially created a new neighborhood that is a highly desirable place to live these days.

Indianapolis could certainly learn a lot from San Diego when it comes to capitalizing on the public investment in Lucas Oil Stadium.
Great advice k2h. I'll poke around and see if I can spread the word a bit. Have fun on the Left Coast!
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #377
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMonkey View Post
Actually, I just read an article that indicated that New Orleans is making a bid.

Per the IBJ Daily email:
New Orleans jumps into Super Bowl mix
Indianapolis seemed to be the front-runner to host the 2012 Super Bowl until New Orleans announced last week that it would shoot for the game. The hurricane-battered city could prove a sentimental favorite over Indianapolis as well as Houston and Phoenix, which have also said they will bid. To read more and weigh in, go to IBJ's new sports business blog, The Score.
Nutty. Maybe they were waiting to see how the NBA All-Star game turned out. I don't know how far sentiment will carry them. Before Katrina New Orleans was having trouble landing both Super Bowls and Final Fours. But who knows....
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #378
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

The SuperDome is over 30 years old. The NFL should have the SB in new stadium.

As for creating a masterplan around LOS, there is none in existence to my knowledge. I think it best to let developments spring up when the market is right and land values are high enough. There has already been a surge of projects proposed around LOS- Merrill Tower, SoDo, and Ralston to name a few.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #379
Unionstation13

Notice that the one in San Diego also keeps its gritty brick warehouses instead of knocking them down. This is why I think SODO should keep the Old winery building. Many people would kill their grandmother for a loft in an old industrial building.
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #380
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The SuperDome is over 30 years old. The NFL should have the SB in new stadium.

As for creating a masterplan around LOS, there is none in existence to my knowledge. I think it best to let developments spring up when the market is right and land values are high enough. There has already been a surge of projects proposed around LOS- Merrill Tower, SoDo, and Ralston to name a few.

Hoosier - a master plan doesn't necessarily dictate what actually gets built, it simply serves as a blueprint for a desired development pattern. Think of it more as a tool to encourage potential developers to invest in the area. Haphazard development will guarantee you a negative outcome when it comes to creating an urban neighborhood or district.
k2h no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis