daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #381
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
Notice that the one in San Diego also keeps its gritty brick warehouses instead of knocking them down. This is why I think SODO should keep the Old winery building. Many people would kill their grandmother for a loft in an old industrial building.
Unionstation13 - you would be very impressed by all the historic buildings that were restored and incorporated into the new developments, including the actual stadium. By doing so, the City ensured the area kept its historical uniqueness and mitigated the chances that the area would turn into some disneyesque, baseball wonderland environment. They were in fact, trying to utilize the stadium to spur neighborhood-oriented development, not another cheesy tourist destination. Keepin' it real!
k2h no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #382
UrbanTom

Likes (Received): 0

I agree. I was in San Diego about three years ago - and the area around the Padre's stadium was really looking good - and it was just getting started then. I'm sure it is continuing to fill in with more great developments - as can be seen from your pictures. Indy would do very well to try to get similar developments in the area around LOS. The area going west toward the River really offers some great potential. They could bring Pogue's Run back up to the surface and have a nice little stream through the area along with a great riverside greenway / park that would connect in with all the other bike/ped trails in the center city. What a great place to live. Hopefully they could keep the remaining older brick buildings and fit the new buildings in along with them so we have excellent density along with good, natural feeling streetscapes. It would be fantastic to add another 7,000 or more residents in that corner of downtown! Over ten - 15 years, I don't see why that wouldn't be possible.

Also - Can't wait to see those inside shots of the dome once they finish putting all of the blue and white seats in and they have the green rug down. And then when they open the big window for the clear view of the skyline!! ---and you know they will put blue seats in the shape of a horse shoe into that center section of white seats right under the window. Talk about the perfect view.

The first event at the LUKE is the Drum Corps International World Championship in August (I think its on the 8th). Even if I didn't like Drum and Bugle Corps stuff, I'd still try to buy a ticket to be in there for the first view of the stadium in person. Yea
UrbanTom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #383
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I'm not sure we'd want to see what's running through Pogue's Run these days, but nice creative thinking!
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #384
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
Unionstation13 - you would be very impressed by all the historic buildings that were restored and incorporated into the new developments, including the actual stadium. By doing so, the City ensured the area kept its historical uniqueness and mitigated the chances that the area would turn into some disneyesque, baseball wonderland environment. They were in fact, trying to utilize the stadium to spur neighborhood-oriented development, not another cheesy tourist destination. Keepin' it real!
Yeah, I think its important that we reuse the high density brick structures around the LOS. They have so much gritt and charm! I love what San Diego has done. Its blended old with new so tastefully.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #385
aavmarine

For all you that are interested, and to the ones that aren't. The company that is designing and building the roof is called "Uni-systems". I thought this site was interesting which talks about building the most sophisticated and one-of-a-kind roof in the world. It will be the only stadium in the world where the roof will meet at a peak and slide open toward the sidelines. There is also a 20 sec video on how the roof will open and close and how it will be the most leak proof stadium in the world:

http://www.uni-systems.com/Projects/...0Oil%20Stadium

Here is another link about everything you wanted to know about our new stadium:

http://lucasoilstadium.9f.com/

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #386
holtr

skyline views

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman0 View Post
I think it would be a great idea for someone to post some of these more distant pictures which show the stadium's impact and relation to the downtown skyline. I have a hard time visualizing how this looks in relation to the rest of the skyline now that I don't live nearby anymore.
Ask and you shall receive I'm not a professional photographer, so they're a little rough, but:

First from the Airport Expressway at the I-70 east ramp:

Next from I-70 just east of Holt Rd. interchange:

holtr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #387
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtr View Post
Ask and you shall receive I'm not a professional photographer, so they're a little rough, but:

First from the Airport Expressway at the I-70 east ramp:

Next from I-70 just east of Holt Rd. interchange:
I just tried doing the exact same thing on Wednesday after dropping someone off at the airport. My shots all ended up hazy garbage. Glad someone was able to capture something you can actually see!
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #388
IndyYeah

270' in all it's glory! Dwarfs the dome. I am not sure if the dome will have much of a fill in look with the convention center, height that is. But the JW will be jutting upwards this time next year for some skyline pleasure.
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #389
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

I love the drive east on I-70 heading toward DT. The skyline has so much depth from that angle and at one point on I-70, LOS is dead ahead- a very impressive site.

LOS has a definite positive impact on the skyline.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #390
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I love the drive east on I-70 heading toward DT. The skyline has so much depth from that angle and at one point on I-70.
I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like once the Dome is gone. I hope it's an improvement.

I love the brief moment when Luke totally swallows the whole skyline when you're driving by!
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #391
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like once the Dome is gone. I hope it's an improvement.
It'll be nice to maybe see St. John's again, but I fear we're going to lose filled look and LOS would look set off, but that's quite fixable. The Merril project will help if it makes it. Who knows, though, maybe it'll be better without the distraction of the dome even before anything new gets built.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #392
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I think the visibility of St.John's will add a lot of charm to the skyline again. The RCA dome filled in a gap but it wasn't anything interesting.
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #393
aavmarine

Most recent Article and Video of LOS:

Progress, Punctuality Highlight Stadium Construction
Lucas Oil Stadium Will Be Done On Time, Builders Say

POSTED: 6:49 am EDT March 19, 2008
UPDATED: 6:55 am EDT March 19, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS -- Lucas Oil Stadium will be done on time, builders said Tuesday.

Construction continues at a feverish pace. Builders said the building is already 80 to 85 percent complete, 6News' Renee Jameson reported.

"(We're) doing handrails, carpet, tile and kitchen equipment," said Bob May, Hunt Construction contract manager. "I could go on and on with all the things that are going on."

About 22,000 seats are already installed. Plenty of concrete work is ongoing, as well as work on the playing field and glass wall.

Builders said the initial move of the retractable roof is set to happen by next month.

Bill Benner, of the Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Association, toured the stadium on Tuesday.

Along with a dramatic future expansion of the convention center, the city will also be able to use stadium space to attract business.

"Of course, it will be connected to the existing convention center via a walkway," Benner said. "There's a buzz about Indianapolis and what's going on here."

City officials hope that buzz translates to a 2012 Super Bowl bid win. Soon after Indianapolis announced it will try again to attract the NFL championship game, Hoosiers began giving their opinions on the bid committee's Web site.

There's been plenty of talk so far about a proposed downtown Super Bowl village.

"We're going to create a space that will be a big section of the downtown area. You won't be able to miss it," said Mark Miles, of the Super Bowl bid committee. "It will be organized and decorated in a way that will be spectacular."

Indianapolis narrowly lost winning the 2011 Super Bowl bid, so there's plenty of reason for optimism this time around.

"The fact that we came as close as we did last year indicates that's the case. We just have to get a couple more votes," Miles said.

The stadium is set to be completed in mid-August.

Here is the video link to the story:
http://www.theindychannel.com/video/15638868/index.html

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM   #394
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Good to read that the stadium is on schedule.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:20 PM   #395
ablerock

Driving home yesterday afternoon, I noticed they've erected the structure that will hold the Lucas Oil Stadium signage on the east and west facades. As of yesterday, there was one lone S on the west! The structure that supports the letters is quite prominent. It's looks like giant steel heavy-duty scaffolding. It's very industrial, which obviously fits with the rest of the building.

Sorry I didn't snag a picture, use your thinkin'-box to draw yerself a mind-paintin', k? :-)
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:36 AM   #396
aavmarine

Drove by today. They now have the S.T.A.D. on the West side. By the way, did everyone here that the new stadium will host the first Sunday nite football game of the season on prime time (NBC). It will be the rematch of the SB. Da Bears...

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #397
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
Drove by today. They now have the S.T.A.D. on the West side. By the way, did everyone here that the new stadium will host the first Sunday nite football game of the season on prime time (NBC). It will be the rematch of the SB. Da Bears...
Chicago radio people are already cutting the name down, and using cowboy talk about the stadium, nothing happening in Indy,Naptown. Maybe one day the talk will change, but up here, Indiana period, we are backwoods hicks to alot of Chicagoans...
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #398
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Chicago radio people are already cutting the name down, and using cowboy talk about the stadium, nothing happening in Indy,Naptown. Maybe one day the talk will change, but up here, Indiana period, we are backwoods hicks to alot of Chicagoans...
Well, we got the SB trophy, but they're right about the name. It's dumb. MetroNapolitan residents paid, what $600 million for this, and Lucas Oil pays a tenth of that and gets to slap their unimaginative name on that palace? I wish one of Indy's corporations had ponied up some cash - Eli Lilly Field, or..wait...that's it. Maybe someday we can christen it Peyton Manning Stadium...?

Last edited by cjfjapan; April 4th, 2008 at 05:40 AM.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #399
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Typical. I know it's wrong to generalilze, but it's amazing how many Chicagoans have their heads up their asses when it comes to things like this.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #400
ablerock

Quote:
This isn't against you IndyYeah, but I could care less. And no offense to anyone from Chicago, but they get made fun of by people in NYC for being a lesser city. It's how it goes. I'm not a backwood hick and I'm pretty sure no one else here is except the Urbanophile , but there are a lot of 'billies in this city. There are a lot of them in Chicago/Illinois too. As a matter of fact, they're all over the Midwest. Probably more than 50% of the population in the Midwest is hickish. They're decent hard-working people. They may not be up on the most recent Matthew Barney film, but they're nothing to be ashamed of.

The truth is, there is a lot going on in Naptown. That's what I choose to focus on. We've got so much potential and our future looks brighter everyday. 10 years ago, there wasn't much going on downtown. Look at it now! We're not quite world-class, but give us another 10-15 years of good planning and we'll be sittin' pretty.

Tags
indianapolis