daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM   #421
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

4 weeks until deadline completion of LOS

I don't think it will be done, there seems to be to much to do by the end of May. But here is the article on it:

Lucas Oil Stadium just 4 weeks from deadline

Posted: April 15, 2008 05:48 PM EDT

Starting Monday, crews will focus on the west roof. A computer will move the retractable metal panels along five tracks.

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The completion date for Lucas Oil Stadium is just four weeks away. One of the top priorities for construction crews right now is the stadium's retractable roof.

The stadium roof has an opening that's more than 176,000 square feet. The goal next week is to close it up.

Starting Monday, crews will focus on the west roof. A computer will move the retractable metal panels along five tracks.

"This is probably the largest moving panels of any stadium I am aware of to open and close on an NFL stadium," said Bob May of Hunt Construction.

Testing is expected to take days. Crews will move the panels at the slowest speed possible to ensure everything is aligned. The ability to open and close the roof will be a big selling point for the city.

"It makes band competitions, open air concerts...it makes certain opportunities that never existed with the RCA Dome come to fruition," said Bob Schultz of the Convention and Visitors' Association.

Down on the ground, the stadium's floor is now concrete. Just last month half of it was mud.

Over the past four weeks crews completed putting in the lower bowl. All that's left now is to put in the seats.

And where the concrete castings stop, crews are now in the process of adding retractable seating down to the ground level.

Several stories up, crews build the steel structure that will hold one of the stadiums massive 90 feet-wide video screens.

Outside the facility, large letters let the public know the building is Lucas Oil Stadium.

Once up and running, it will take nine to 11 minutes to open or close the roof. During the testing process they expect it will take between 5-7 hours.

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=8171364

There is also a video to go along with it.

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #422
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

I thought 4 weeks was a misprint and it was actually closer to 4 months? They said theres a mid august deadline..
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:53 PM   #423
jkramb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
I don't think it will be done, there seems to be to much to do by the end of May. But here is the article on it:

Posted: April 15, 2008 05:48 PM EDT

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The completion date for Lucas Oil Stadium is just four weeks away. One of the top priorities for construction crews right now is the stadium's retractable roof.

The stadium roof has an opening that's more than 176,000 square feet. The goal next week is to close it up.

"This is probably the largest moving panels of any stadium I am aware of to open and close on an NFL stadium," said Bob May of Hunt Construction.

Testing is expected to take days. Crews will move the panels at the slowest speed possible to ensure everything is aligned. The ability to open and close the roof will be a big selling point for the city.

"It makes band competitions, open air concerts...it makes certain opportunities that never existed with the RCA Dome come to fruition," said Bob Schultz of the Convention and Visitors' Association.

Down on the ground, the stadium's floor is now concrete. Just last month half of it was mud.

Over the past four weeks crews completed putting in the lower bowl. All that's left now is to put in the seats.

And where the concrete castings stop, crews are now in the process of adding retractable seating down to the ground level.

Several stories up, crews build the steel structure that will hold one of the stadiums massive 90 feet-wide video screens.

Outside the facility, large letters let the public know the building is Lucas Oil Stadium.

Once up and running, it will take nine to 11 minutes to open or close the roof. During the testing process they expect it will take between 5-7 hours.

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=8171364

There is also a video to go along with it.
what??? it isn't supposed to be completed until early august and was never supposed to be completed in may.
jkramb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM   #424
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramb View Post
what??? it isn't supposed to be completed until early august and was never supposed to be completed in may.
It probable was a mistake. The only way I see this happening in 4 weeks is if they have 2000-2500 workers on site daily. One thing I did see is that it looks like they have some of if not all of the 1700 ft of LED ribbon on the 2nd level. If you watch the video at the :42 and :55 sec mark (guy with white hard hat and sunglasses), look behind him at the glasses level and you see what looks like a black ribbon board. IMO, I would think most of those workers would have to work on the seats, field and outside, while the rest work on the inside (press box, scoreboards and suites). And by week 3, the sponsors would have to start moving in.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM   #425
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

It should say 4 months.

Once again, the Indianapolis Star proves that its editorial staff consists of high school yearbook editors.

This is from the other misleading article they ran about the Drum Corps International Championships:

Dave Frick, chairman of the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority, said today that Lucas Oil Stadium is on schedule to be completed Aug. 15.

"We will be done," Frick said. "We have always had the countdown clock and the clock was always set for Aug. 15. That has always been our completion date."
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #426
aavmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
It should say 4 months.

Once again, the Indianapolis Star proves that its editorial staff consists of high school yearbook editors.

This is from the other misleading article they ran about the Drum Corps International Championships:

Dave Frick, chairman of the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority, said today that Lucas Oil Stadium is on schedule to be completed Aug. 15.

"We will be done," Frick said. "We have always had the countdown clock and the clock was always set for Aug. 15. That has always been our completion date."
It wasn't the Star that wrote the article. It was WISHTV Channel 8 that wrote the article and video.

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #427
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Just wanted to point out that the roof was closed this afternoon. If you start about 6pm you can watch it close.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #428
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
It wasn't the Star that wrote the article. It was WISHTV Channel 8 that wrote the article and video.
I am a tool.

I guess all the news outlets in Indianapolis are going down the toilet.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #429
philaustin06

just watched something about the dome demolition on wthr, they said Lucas Oil Stadium is on track for an August 15th deadline, no earlier.
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #430
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Damn, was the parking lot painted white?

As for Indy and its utilization of its waterways, the city completely cleaned up and renovated the canal which is now a big tourist and residential hot spot DT. The White River is large enough that is has a constant flow and doesn't dry up, so there is a lot of potential to build marinas and residential or mixed use complexes along its banks along with new parks and trails.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #431
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

The stretch of the White River shown in the picture (with the grafitti) is probably the worst looking half mile stretch of the entire 30 or so miles that the river flows through in Marion County. I believe that will change fairly soon though. The area between Lucas Stadium and the River will begin filling in with new developments and a cleaned up river with walkways and bike paths will undoubtedly be part of those plans. From Washington St, (a few blocks north of the view in that picture) the River has been taken care of pretty well as it runs through White River State Park, South Grove Golf Course, Riverside Park, Coffin Golf Course, alongside the Indpls Museum of Art, past Butler and CTS campuses, past Broad Ripple Park, Holiday Park and on out to the north. To the south it generally looks pretty good too - as there isn't much development of any kind along it. It passes Southwestway Park down there also and looks very nice down in that area. It would be great to see some nice mid-rise developments put up along side it though. That area near downtown would work well for that. The culvert emptying into the River is where Pogues Run meets White River after being put underground for a mile or so. It would be great for it to be "unroofed" where it passes Lucas Oil Stadium and then turned into a nice water amenity for the area southwest of the stadium. (One time (mid 80's) when they were renovating Union Station, I snuck in and was exploring and came across a place where the water from Pogues Run ran through a brick waterway through the basement. Very cool.)
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #432
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Man, I wish I could see that brick waterway you mentioned. I love that kind of old-school engineery stuff.

As for the LOS shots above, I'm a little surprised by the reaction here! Honestly, I thought it looked kinda cool. Not that I'm going to miss it if some developer wants to clean up the area, but a little industrial grit and some graffiti can be cool sometimes.
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #433
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Man, I wish I could see that brick waterway you mentioned. I love that kind of old-school engineery stuff.

As for the LOS shots above, I'm a little surprised by the reaction here! Honestly, I thought it looked kinda cool. Not that I'm going to miss it if some developer wants to clean up the area, but a little industrial grit and some graffiti can be cool sometimes.
My sentiments exactly.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #434
philaustin06

I was driving past the stadium yesterday and noticed they have the outside steps put in on the east side of the building. The day-to-day progress is mind boggling.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM   #435
philaustin06

new pics of the inside/outside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alxconn...7604651135731/
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:41 AM   #436
aavmarine

Here is the latest video tour of the stadium:

http://www.our2012sb.com/

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:50 AM   #437
IndyTypeGuy

Thanks for posting the photo link and the video link. Great stuff. I can't wait for August.
IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:36 AM   #438
Babbage08

Babbage08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #439
aavmarine

Recent pis of "LOS"

These are not mine, but I thought you would like them. One Colts fan took a tour of the stadium yesterday and posted them on one of the Colts forum.

One of the suites

Colts locker room

Example of locker

Carpet through out the building

Main concourse

South endzone

Retractable roof closed. The space between them is normal. Here is a link and video of what it will look like once the very top will be put on and how it will be waterproof from the weather: http://www.uni-systems.com/Projects/...0Oil%20Stadium

Windows will be placed at the top of the stadium (skywindows). They already have the West side done

See all the wooden crates at the bottom left? Those are pieces of the Jumbotron. There's a worker standing next to one of the crates. Each "chunk" is 1/12 of the total TV, so if that guy is 6ft tall, you can see how damn big those TV's are going to be. Also, in the top, center of the photo, you can see the mounting brackets for the jumbotron. Look how big it is compared to about 50 rows of seats!

-Lt General Hal Moore
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #440
philaustin06

does anyone know where the giant pictures of peyton and marvin on the dome will be going once the dome is torn down? i always thought theyd lookneat on the outside of the new stadium on each side of the retractable window

Tags
indianapolis