daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #441
jkramb

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaustin06 View Post
does anyone know where the giant pictures of peyton and marvin on the dome will be going once the dome is torn down? i always thought theyd lookneat on the outside of the new stadium on each side of the retractable window
I'm pretty sure they won't be putting up giant pictures of Marvin until his legal troubles are sorted out.
jkramb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #442
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

cool-lookin' stadium. LOVE that carpet throughout the building!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #443
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage08 View Post
Wow, that shot really exposes the stadium's very Gothic design influence. Perhaps that makes sense as sports stadiums are our modern day cathedrals.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #444
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

In a week and a day - we should find out if this building will be the site of a little football game during the first week of February, 2012 that a billion people will have their t.v. sets tuned to!! Can't wait to hear the news from Atlanta. Keep your fingers crossed!
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM   #445
GarfieldPark

Its official. Feb. 5th, 2012! Great job Indy.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM   #446
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

Congrats to Indy!
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:39 PM   #447
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

Looks very industrial. I wonder if that's the idea?
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:11 AM   #448
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
Looks very industrial. I wonder if that's the idea?
Wikepedia does not mention the design decision. I think it is a compliment to indoor Indiana stadiums. Wikepedia does need the superbowl update added, even though there is a mention of the stadium being under construction, etc...
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:35 AM   #449
GarfieldPark

From what I have come to understand, the design is based on a combination of ideas. The brick matches very well with many of the older, 1920's era industrial warehouse buildings on the south side of downtown Indy. There is a great big industrial coal generated power plant about 1 1/2 blocks away that has a very similar brick and steel style, with three or so huge smoke stacks. Also - the general brick and limestone look is supposed to exemplify the typical older Midwest College football stadiums - stadiums built like those at places like the Univ. of Notre Dame, in nearby South Bend, IN; the Univ. of Michigan's huge football stadium ("The Big House") in Ann Arbor; the Univ. of Illinois' Memorial Stadium in Champagne / Urbana and similar huge, older stadiums. (Although Ohio State's huge "Horseshoe" is an amazing stadium and has the same historic, "industrial, cathedral" style - it has less brick on the exterior so in my opinion, it fits into a different style than Lucas Oil Stadium's brick, industrial look. It's more of a real cathedral look - even having stained glass in one of the main entry ways.) The big old "barn" style also is typical of many of the big basketball field houses - also built in that 1920's - 1930's era - with a similar brick and stone style - like nearby (ie 5 miles away) Butler University's Hinkle Fieldhouse (where the final basketball championship scenes from the movie "Hoosiers" were shot); The University of Minnesota's Williams Arena; St. John's Arena in Columbus, OH; and other big, older stadiums. The inside of the stadium exposes a large amount of the huge, steel beams and girders, showing thousands of giant rivets. Leaving the huge steel support girders exposed above the roof is meant to add to the industrial look of the stadium. I think there is a great appreciation in the Midwest - home of the Big Ten Conference - for these huge old, historic stadiums. Lucas Oil Stadium is meant to give some of that feeling to people as they walk in through the many brick and limestone arched entryways, then into the expansive brick and cement outer concourses - before stepping into the massive expanse of the interior of the stadium. I think you'll get that great, awesome feeling walking into the seating part and looking down onto the beautiful green playing field. Whether the roof is open or closed, I think it will be an amazing place to experience a football game.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM   #450
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

I think it's a fantastic design in most midwestern cities.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM   #451
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
I think it's a fantastic design in most midwestern cities.
I honestly do not see how this design would work in anywhere but Indianapolis.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:37 PM   #452
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Old June 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #453
GarfieldPark

The live camera shots are looking good today. Looks excellent to see them putting up the big "LUCAS OIL STADIUM" sign on the north end of the stadium. It adds some color and breaks up all of the brick on the upper half of the stadium. Do you think they'll put the giant pictures of Peyton and Marvin on either side of the big window? It would look great to see the picture of Peyton following through on one of his passes with the picture of Marvin on the other side hauling in the football for another touchdown! Looking nice. Lots of room for improvement on all sides of the stadium though. I guess that's a good thing. Hopefully in the next ten years we will be able to see a new, major intermodal transportation center built next door where the Amtrak trains and Greyhound buses come into the south side of Union Station. Also - a complete redevelopment of the three blocks to the East of the Stadium where the main Post Office currently sits. Probably in a few years plans will be coming together to put an additional expansion of the Convention Center on that parking lot to the north of the Stadium - and then to the West - lots of new residential and mixed use - all the way over to the river. Hopefully the SODO plans will have been under development by then also. It would be great to see at least a few buildings in the 15 - 25 (or more?) story range. I guess we'll see.
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #454
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

I like how you can now see the skylines reflection in the glass!! AWESOME!!! This is an amazing project and I can not wait til August where Football will be back in action and for the first time in my life I can go to a Colt's game and drink!!
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #455
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Talked to a buddy today on-site...the field is roughly 90% complete
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM   #456
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Demolition of the RCA Dome may start soon.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #457
aavmarine

Latest pictures of the stadium:

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM   #458
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 37

Great photos. The place is really coming along.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #459
aavmarine

I don't know if anyone had notice or been up that early, but last week and the week before I was heading to work around 1 o'clock in the morning. My job is off of S. Kentucky, so I get to drive by it every day. Anyways, I noticed the white windows at the top of the stadium was a green color. I'm in the concrete business and was heading to a job each of those morning and every time I past the stadium the windows changed to a different color. Anywhere from Colts blue to green to red to purple. I was thinking that would be a neat effect for a night game from the aerial views, and also had color to the downtown area.

Here is what I saw that night. Look through the retractable windows a the top of the stadium. Of course I was on I-70 (going to work) and Harding St (going to job site), but the effect from the outside looking toward the south entrance and with the roof open was pretty cool. They also seem to have the foggy windows above the south entrance lite up too.

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #460
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

yeah I saw it a couple times too.. I think they're testing the ribbon board.
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis