daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2008, 03:48 AM   #481
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

aand it dosent work.
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM   #482
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

In yesterday's Star, there were quite a few letters written about the fiasco of the "free tour." I completely agree that the Stadium Authority (State), the City and the Colts have really fumbled this and owe it to the citizens that PAID for this the opportunity to go see their new football cathedral!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:09 AM   #483
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

Lets see if this one works:

http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...ject=794200324

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #484
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmarine View Post
The background music's a bit overdramatic.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM   #485
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

I picked up four more tickets to the new 6:30pm tour of LOS this morning. I know a lot of people didn't get any tickets, so I'm going to split those four in pairs and the first two people that PM me will get them.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM   #486
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I picked up four more tickets to the new 6:30pm tour of LOS this morning. I know a lot of people didn't get any tickets, so I'm going to split those four in pairs and the first two people that PM me will get them.
The tickets have all been spoken for.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #487
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

There are plenty of opportunities to see LOS. Hell, I first went to the Dome in 1996, 13 years after it opened.

Take good pictures, everyone who takes the tour.
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #488
IndyYeah

It weird, I was at the dome 1 time in 1984 I think, for a truck rally thing. I kept thinking, man, even 10' more football area surface on the sides, and alittle more height on that dome. Even at that time, just seemed small to other places. Is the new building going to live up to space requirements for a long time? Seems that it will.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #489
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

The ISCBA is fighting very hard to get this building open on time. Word is that the Dome is now being prepped for the Colts's first preseason home games, as a just-in-case sort of procedure.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #490
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
The ISCBA is fighting very hard to get this building open on time. Word is that the Dome is now being prepped for the Colts's first preseason home games, as a just-in-case sort of procedure.
HA! Why does that not surprise me? They were once so confident in the timeline that they said they were going to take down the dome in April.

Which 5000 people do you deny entry if they have to go that route?
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #491
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
HA! Why does that not surprise me? They were once so confident in the timeline that they said they were going to take down the dome in April.

Whoa, I didn't even think of that. There are going to be a LOT of disgruntled Colts fans should they delay the stadium's opening date. Plus, Klipsch won't get his bonus.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #492
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The media is doing it very best to try and make a story out of nothing. The Stadium has been "promised" to be open on time. Aside from the flooding of the media room, there have been no probelms with this thing. I am sure the flooding has already been handled.

Of course there is a "contigency plan" in place. They wouldn't be doing a good job if there wasn't.
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #493
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

What cwilson758 said. I wouldn't read to much into them preparing the RCA Dome for a game. If there's even a slim chance that LOS won't be done on time then they need to have plan B in hand. I doubt they would have gone through that ticketing mess and scheduled tours for the weekend before the first game if they weren't extremely confident that the building was going to be ready.

The timeline for the Dome is still, as far as I know, the one given in April: deflation in August, demolition August through October, with implosion of the upper levels in October.

Quote:
Not that this solution lets them adequately cover their asses, but you can expect more than 5,000 no-shows for a pre-season game, with the first game at LOS being an obvious exception. The other tough question is how do you handle seating? 50,000 people going GA does not sound like a good time.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #494
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

from indystar.com

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/807290337

Enterprising vendors choosing their spots
Entrepreneurs snap up tracts near stadium for game day parking lots

by Jeff Swiatek

A land rush is on around Lucas Oil Stadium, fueled by entrepreneurs looking to create parking places for Colts fans and others who will attend events when the sports venue opens next month.

Jerry Cannon is among them, scouring land records in search of desirable lots to buy or lease within an easy walk of the stadium.

"I've done that for the past year," said Cannon, who jokes that the plat room in the City-County Building, where land records are stored, has become almost like his second home.

So far, Cannon said, he has lined up almost 400 parking spaces at three locations where he aims to get city approval to open parking lots.

Cannon and others in his line of work see the stadium creating a new frontier for parking by shifting the most desirable parking areas for stadium users to the south of the elevated railroad tracks running next to the RCA Dome, which Lucas Oil replaces.

The widely shared view of parking operators is that Indianapolis Colts fans and other users of Lucas Oil can expect parking around it to be as easy to find and no costlier than it was at the RCA Dome.

"There are a lot of surface lots in that area. I don't see any shortage of parking for the games," said Mark Pryor, director of new business development for Denison Parking, the city's largest Downtown parking company.

Game day parking rates for most fans should be the same as for RCA Dome events -- $5 to $20, said Pryor.

Prime reserved spots already are selling for $50. One reason for the higher rate for close-in spots: The approximately 1,500 parking spots in the lots surrounding the stadium have been turned over to the Indianapolis Colts for their use, under the city's contract with the team. Another 1,500 remote spots have been given to the team.

The Colts are expected to use those 3,000 spots to park players and their families and friends, team personnel, media, various VIPs and stadium workers, among others.

Denison has been hired to handle traffic for the Colts' stadium parking.

Many Colts fans and other Lucas Oil users are expected to continue parking where they did when games were at the RCA Dome.

Parking entrepreneurs see opportunities not only to park cars, but also to use prime lots near the stadium to host tailgating parties complete with electrical hookups, portable restrooms and even live music.

All of that and more is planned on the Jobsite Supply lot, occupying a prime location at 624 S. Missouri St. across from the stadium, said Heather Roush, general manager of Sideline Parking, which is co-leasing the site for Colts game day parking.

She is selling the Jobsite Supply spots for $45 per Colts game or $450 for the 10-game season.

"I get probably 15 to 20 calls a day" inquiring about parking for Colts games, she said. "People are shopping right now" for spaces and meeting their needs has created an "extremely competitive" market for parking operators, she said.

Jim Siegel, a Downtown parking investor who heads a Carmel financial services company, said he and a partner already have sold all 50 parking spots for Colts games on a lot they are buying at 423 W. South St., a half-block from the stadium.

At an asking price of $500 for the season, "We sold out in two days," Siegel said.

To establish parking lots on vacant ground, city zoning laws for Downtown require that they be paved to reduce dust and mud. The only exception is on ground zoned industrial, where a gravel lot can be operated for one year. The city also requires that Downtown lots be landscaped, and it likes to see fencing put up, said Jeff York, senior planner for the Department of Metropolitan Development.

So far, the city has received no applications to open gravel lots anywhere around the stadium, he said.

Cannon said he soon will file with the city to open a 150-space lot on South Meridian Street south of Shapiro's Delicatessen and a 120-space lot near Capitol Avenue and McCarty Street. He said he would prefer to put gravel on both lots, at half the cost of asphalt, and he doesn't see a need for ornate fencing.

"The city wants every lot to look like Lilly. My name's not Eli," he said referring to the pharmaceutical giant, whose corporate parking lots to the east of Lucas Oil are fenced, landscaped, paved and patrolled.

"If the city could ease up on their criteria, we could get a lot more done," Cannon said.

With 63,000 seats, Lucas Oil holds about 5,000 more fans than the RCA Dome.

The area around Lucas Oil and extending north to the large surface lots serving the OneAmerica Tower hold ample parking to accommodate its larger crowds, but it may take a while for people to sort out the lots and garages they prefer to use, said Scott Gould, a Denison general manager.

The jump in gasoline prices and a weaker economy also may alter people's driving and parking habits from years past, perhaps encouraging more carpooling and a greater willingness to park farther away and walk to save money on parking.

"It's a guess. Nobody knows right now," Gould said. As drivers descend on Lucas Oil Stadium for the first time next month, Denison and other parking operators "will just roll with the punches," he said.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM   #495
philaustin06

Stadium work: Fourth and goal

Workers in hard hats bustled around the plazas outside Lucas Oil Stadium on Friday, paving sidewalks and planting flowers, the latest sign that work on the $720 million building is nearing completion.

With the stadium's grand opening set for two weeks from today, crews are putting in long hours -- some working around the clock -- to have the building done on time.

Despite a failure last month in the stadium's drainage system that left three areas of the building with flood damage, stadium officials remain confident Lucas Oil will be ready to go for grand-opening ceremonies Aug. 16.

Crews have four major projects to complete before the stadium is ready.

Groundwork
A wet June meant conditions weren't ideal for paving, creating delays.

Most of the unfinished concrete work is near the stadium's north entrance.

Two sets of staircases leading into the north entrance still must be poured, in addition to sections of that plaza.

Outside the stadium's northeast entrance, near the Colts Pro Shop, workers on Friday were laying brick pavers. Of roughly 20,000 bricks, about 75 percent had been laid as of Friday.

Next week, workers will begin striping the south parking lot. That work already has been completed on the stadium's northwest lot. On Friday, many of the parking lot lights remained on as workers tested them. Nearby, a crew was working to install an electronic message board on the southwest corner of the site.

Landscaping
Unlike the RCA Dome, Lucas Oil will be surrounded by plenty of open plazas and landscaping.

The main sidewalks that run along the east and west boundaries of the stadium will be lined with about 300 trees.

There will be about 8,000 plants on the stadium site, and most of those will be planted in the next two weeks.

"We've barely scratched the surface so far," said David Burroff, the project's landscape architect. "I've probably still got 6,000 plants in the nursery."

Coordinating the landscaping has been difficult because Burroff has to carefully time the delivery of the plants, many of which are being stored in a nursery in Ohio. Complicating matters is the hot weather and a preference to plant flowers, shrubs and trees in the fall or spring -- not in August.

Wet weather in June has pushed concrete work on the site behind schedule, a delay Burroff said has made his job more difficult because he needs to wait for the completion of concrete planters and sidewalks.

"It's really a coordination nightmare. It's like trying to drive a car without tires," he said. "It's not anybody's fault. It's just the way some of these projects go."

Burroff has 10 workers on site but said that likely will increase to 30 in the coming days.

"It's going to be very nice for the community when it's open, and we will have it done on time," he said. "Unfortunately, it means we're going to have to work day and night to do it."

Sponsorship areas
Much of the remaining work inside the stadium is taking place in sponsorship areas.

For example, earlier this week, signs for Clarian Health Partners were delivered to the stadium. Clarian has naming rights for the stadium's southeast corner.

Workers also have been installing signs for companies such as ProLiance Energy, Baker & Daniels and Advantage Health Solutions.

Much of the sponsorship work is being viewed as a finishing touch best addressed after completion of the construction along the stadium's concourses.

The same goes for work on the Colts Pro Shop on the stadium's northeast side. On Friday, crews were busy laying the floors, building walls and placing shelves in the shop.

Cleanup
Making sure the stadium is spick-and-span for its big debut also is at the top of the to-do list.

This entails everything from wiping down seats to power-washing concrete concourses.

For weeks, workers for the stadium's architect, HKS, have been conducting a process known as punch-listing in which they examine areas of the building labeled as complete to ensure every item is in its proper place and every room is built according to plan.

Much of that work is taking place in suites and concession stands now.

All of the stadium's suites have been equipped with their furniture and appliances, and the concession stands are being cleaned. State officials have been on site to inspect the stadium's escalators and elevators.

The installation of the artificial turf is now complete and the goal posts have been erected. Workers also recently finished the installation of the large speakers that hang over the 50-yard line.

"Right now, there's no single thing we're worried about," said Bob May, who is helping manage the stadium project for Hunt Construction.

"It's all the little things that need to get done."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/808020399

*and an updated photo gallery:
http://www2.indystar.com/autofocus/g.../hybrid/3112/1
I really like how they made picture collages on the concourse walls. this stadium is going to be so tight!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #496
4miGO!!!
GeNtLe UsEr

Likes (Received): 1229

Hi, men. sorry that im not to the point here. its cuz i dont know who to ask- where can i find photos of Salt-lake-city and its skyscrapers? thanx.
4miGO!!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM   #497
Indywatch

try www.emporis.com type in Salt Lake City

or www.skyscraperpage.com search on Salt Lake City

or www.skyscrapercity.com United States - West Coast and Interior West http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=402156

or www.google.com search on Salt Lake City images

Last edited by Indywatch; August 2nd, 2008 at 07:33 PM.
Indywatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #498
philaustin06

does anyone know what will go around the walls of the playing field? In the RCA Dome, it was just the blue padded highschool gym mat looking walls with the word Indianapolis on it. I saw on the previews for Madden 2009 that its going to be blue, and have horseshoes, and say Indianapolis Colts all over it. Hopefully they'll come up with something creative. Heres the clip of madden Im talking about:

And ps. does anyone know when theyre planning on announcing the winner of that damn design a horse contest??
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #499
philaustin06

some neat videos of inside the Luke you might wana see..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn_fDHJmWPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7cYi__SdTM
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #500
IndyTypeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaustin06 View Post
some neat videos of inside the Luke you might wana see..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn_fDHJmWPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7cYi__SdTM
Nice videos. I like the first one. It must be only a few days old. Can't wait to see the Colts take the field.
IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis